• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alec Bedser

archie mac

International Coach
It shames me to say; the first thing I thought of was how much more my signed book by him and his brother will now be worth8-)

A great player RIP:)

Himannv

International Coach
Oh no. Thats very sad. One of the truly great players around and a fantastic bowler by any standards. In many ways I think he's actually underrated.

RIP

bagapath

International Captain
Oh no. Thats very sad. One of the truly great players around and a fantastic bowler by any standards. In many ways I think he's actually underrated.

RIP
made it to bradman's XI. must have been a proud moment in his life. what a wonderful career. and a long, healthy life. condolences to family and friends.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
About four years ago I met Sir Alec at his home in Woking. He'd have made a terrific stand up comedian - he was a bit of a grumpy old soldier, in a friendly way, who only smiled once in the couple of hours I was there - as I was leaving I asked him to sign the books by or about him that I had brought with me. As he did the last of them he threw a stern headmasterly look at my briefcase and then at me and pointedly asked me where his book on the 58/59 tour was. I was completely taken in by the deadpan look and like a naughty 13 year old started blurting out that I already had three books on that tour, limited shelf space etc. Then I realised that was hardly the best thing to say and just started blabbering - I dare say it was a matter of a few seconds but it seemed like about 20 minutes before a huge grin spread across his previously inscrutable face and I realised that in fact he did have a sense of humour - lovely bloke

Dissector

International Debutant
A calypso song in honour of Alec Bedser.

I wouldn't rate him as an all-time great (his record outside England was quite ordinary) but unquestionably a very fine player and brilliant in English conditions. I believe he was a genuine medium pacer and not fast-medium and probably has a strong case for being the best medium pace bowler since Barnes.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
About four years ago I met Sir Alec at his home in Woking. He'd have made a terrific stand up comedian - he was a bit of a grumpy old soldier, in a friendly way, who only smiled once in the couple of hours I was there - as I was leaving I asked him to sign the books by or about him that I had brought with me. As he did the last of them he threw a stern headmasterly look at my briefcase and then at me and pointedly asked me where his book on the 58/59 tour was. I was completely taken in by the deadpan look and like a naughty 13 year old started blurting out that I already had three books on that tour, limited shelf space etc. Then I realised that was hardly the best thing to say and just started blabbering - I dare say it was a matter of a few seconds but it seemed like about 20 minutes before a huge grin spread across his previously inscrutable face and I realised that in fact he did have a sense of humour - lovely bloke
Great story thanks for sharing.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sad day, great player and character. Lovely story Fertang. Always loved his comment on Bradman's last knock - "If I'd known he needed four runs, and I was bowling, I'd have given him a full toss on leg stump". WAG.