• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Alec Bedser

Matt79

Global Moderator
RIP - a great gent of the game by all accounts, and from what you read probably the only bowler who could honestly say he came out ahead or at least even with Bradman. The best exponent of medium pace ever?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
RIP - a great gent of the game by all accounts, and from what you read probably the only bowler who could honestly say he came out ahead or at least even with Bradman. The best exponent of medium pace ever?
Cue Bedser vs Barnes thread :)

An absolute great of the English game. Goodness knows what his final figures would have been if WW2 hadn't delayed his test debut until he was 28 (I think!).

He was chairman of selectors when I first watched the game. It can't have been a role he found easy - the culture of the game and the guys who played it were unrecognisable from his days as a player. Plus he was faced with having to find a decent side from the steadily declining standards of players available.

91's a good knock by any standards, but it's still sad to lose one of our few remaining contacts with an era that we'll never see again.

archie mac

International Coach
Anyone have any clue as to why his twin-bro Eric never played a test, seems peculiar looking at his record as an all-rounder

Eric Bedser | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com
The story goes that they both bowled medium fast, but decided that they could not both play for Surrey with the same style, so they tossed a coin and one bowled spin. With Laker, Lock, Wardle ect around only Alec played Test cricket:)

Also Tate would have been close to being the greatest medium pacer of them all:)

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyone have any clue as to why his twin-bro Eric never played a test, seems peculiar looking at his record as an all-rounder

Eric Bedser | Cricket Players and Officials | Cricinfo.com
Eric played second fiddle to Jim Laker at Surrey and, unlike today, England had a few other decent spinners too - I don't think, though I may be wrong, that Eric even got a Test trial - he never toured with England either as part of the touring side although he travelled with them in 50/51 and did play occaionally in the minor matches

G.I.Joe

International Coach
The story goes that they both bowled medium fast, but decided that they could not both play for Surrey with the same style, so they tossed a coin and one bowled spin. With Laker, Lock, Wardle ect around only Alec played Test cricket:)

Also Tate would have been close to being the greatest medium pacer of them all:)
That's so sad for Eric, tbh.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
RIP – great bowler, and from what I can tell a true gent as well. I know time stops for no one, but it does seem that we’re losing too many of these great old cricketers. :(

Craig

World Traveller
One of my favourite stories of Sir Alec, is that he and Eric would be playing in a club/village match, and Alec would be bowling, and then half way through an over, Eric would walk up to him to have a chat, and then Alec would give Eric the ball, without telling the batsmen or the umpires that Eric would be bowling, and Eric would finish off the over. The umpire noted what skill it was of Alec to be bowling seam and then switch to spin mid over and bowl with considerable ability.

I'm not sure if their team was in on the prank or note. Sir Alec didn't say.