• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your Favourite Cricketer...

JBMAC

State Captain
Don Tallon. I believe he, like Gilchrist, in his time, revolutionised his art.He took it to the next level.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Of those I have seen, Farokh Engineer and Sylvester Clarke

Of those I haven't seen, Harold Larwood and DRJ

bagapath

International Captain
I had Sunil Gavaskar's picture hanging above my bed when I was a kid. He seemed like a rational, aggressive, proud, analytical, super-talented, no-nonsense, successful, short tempered guy - basically all I wanted to be.

Then I saw this tall, handsome, stylish, womanising, super popular and, later, super unpopular, ****y, savvy guy with an up your a** attitude - ravi shastri, and realized that I actually wanted to be like him. He became my favorite cricketer from 1985 until he retired and became a commentator in 1993. I think his 107 in barbados against marshall, ambrose, bishop and walsh is a top 5 overseas knock by an indian. And his 4-38 against pakistan in the calcutta ODi is the best performance by an indian spinner ever. It may not be factually correct, but that is what I believe coz I loved his flicks, straight sixes, elaborate send offs to batters after getting them out with rank long hops, his middle finger showing to millions of fellow countrymen shouting "hai hai shastri", and his courage against imran, wasim, marshall, holding, willis, hadlee and scant respect for qadir and tauseef and, once, for warne.

His straight six off imran, followed by a trademark flick to the boundry in the Nagpur ODI, was the greatest moment of my life, until I met some interesting ladies later.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Had Sunil Gavaskar's picture above my bed when I was a kid. He seemed like a rational, aggressive, proud, analytical, super-talented, no-nonsense, successful, short tempered guy - basically all I wanted to be.

Then I saw this tall, handsome, stylish, womanising, super popular and, later, super unpopular, ****y,savvy guy with an up you a** attitude - ravi shastri, and realized that I actually wanted to be like him. He became my favorite cricketer from 1985 until he retired and became a commentator in 1993. I think his 107 in barbados against marshall, ambrose, bishop and walsh is a top 5 overseas knock by an indian. And his 4-38 against pakistan in the calcutta ODi is the best performance by an indian spinner. It may not be right, but that is what I believe coz I loved his flicks, straight sixes, elaborate send offs to batters after getting them with rank long hops, his middle finger showing to millions of fellow countrymen shouting "hai hai shastri", and his courage against imran, wasim, marshall, holding, willis, hadlee and scant respect for qadir and tauseef and, once, for warne.

His straight six off imran, followed by a trademark flick to the boundry, was the greatest moment of my life, until I met some interesting ladies later in life.
haha....made for pretty good reading

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Among non-Indian cricketers - Curtly Ambrose, Wasim Akram, Courtney Walsh, Adam Gilchrist, Brian Lara, Allan Donald, Waqar Younis, Steve Waugh and to an extent Shane Warne...

Just realised - all of them are from 90s mostly...

harsh.ag

Yup, all 90s for me too. I am pretty sure it is because the packaging on TV improved so much, and we could connect with the on-field drama in a much more real, dramatic and fun way. Ambrose, Saqlain and Sachin are my favorites.

Saqlain because he was the only bowler I hated any of the Indian batsmen to get out to. It used to make me cross, and I especially detested Moin Khan yelling "Saqi" or a similarity all the time. Ambrose because of the awesome reactions, smiles and glint-in-his-eye when he got wickets. Sachin because of, well.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
Yup, all 90s for me too. I am pretty sure it is because the packaging on TV improved so much, and we could connect with the on-field drama in a much more real, dramatic and fun way. Ambrose, Saqlain and Sachin are my favorites.

Saqlain because he was the only bowler I hated any of the Indian batsmen to get out to. It used to make me cross, and I especially detested Moin Khan yelling "Saqi" or a similarity all the time. Ambrose because of the awesome reactions, smiles and glint-in-his-eye when he got wickets. Sachin because of, well.
lol.....tbf moin khan calling "shabash saqi" all the time was so damn annoying. Although it retrospect it feels like the golden days

Saqlain at his prime was such a gun bowler with such craftiness :wub:

harsh.ag

lol.....tbf moin khan calling "shabash saqi" all the time was so damn annoying. Although it retrospect it feels like the golden days

Saqlain at his prime was such a gun bowler with such craftiness :wub:
Touche. I still have no clue as to why I didn't like him :laugh: