• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which Was the Worst Possible Umpiring Decision That You Have Seen

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As I've said before, allegedly he knew the law but thought Deano was taking a run.

heh

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I remember both those incidents. It was a random bad day for Taufel and everyone basically agreed he had enough credit in the bank.
What i found impressive was that he came and gave a interview about it the end of the day or the next day and admitted his mistakes,apologised and didn't try to cook up excuses and also said he had even apologised to Sachin while passing through the lobby IIRC.

He also had given a wrong decision against England that day or the day before and he said he had talked with the players involved there too.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Nope as it turned out he did press the right button, but was fired after the match anyway. Cant believe someone didn't call Gilly back or tell him to not leave the field, quite obviously not out, idiotic umpire!

Burgey

Nope as it turned out he did press the right button, but was fired after the match anyway. Cant believe someone didn't call Gilly back or tell him to not leave the field, quite obviously not out, idiotic umpire!
Haha, so lolworthy. I mean, if you think the batsman's in that's one thing, or if you think the keeper had the ball in his hands.

But when the batsman was both in, and the keeper fropped the ball, and you get to watch it a dozen times on replay, that's just the pits.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah, I do wonder how come nobody called Gilly back. Total ****. Even after the firing how did they allow him back?

Bun

Banned
He was fired alright, there was considerable press at the time, but he came back after a short break to umpire again. I don't recall any errors after the Gilly one.
Hmm.. nothing in cricinfo though. anyways pretty pathetic stuff indeed.

Burgey

I remember this tour vividly from when I was a kid and all the uproar that went down, the umpires that series had their finger up in the air while the bowler was still running in, proper quick on the draw.
Chris Broad being given out stumped when his foot was four inches behind the popping crease and never moved was a particular "highlight".

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This one is amazing
Yeah its incredible. When there are screens around the ground showing what happened and everyone knows he's not out (I presume that was the case given Gilchrist's reaction) then why wouldn't you have a chat with the umpires and call him back?

If there were no screens at the ground then the keeper knows he's dropped the ball surely? I guess maybe he wouldn't have known whether his gloves or the ball hit the wickets first.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
How the guy was allowed to officiate another match after that decision is beyond me. There's been some shockers mentioned in this thread, but a third umpire to make such a mistake after being able to view comprehensive footage a number of times is utterly bewildering.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
here is the link of the dismissal i was talking about, frontal replays showed the ball also bounced ones more before Moin Khan took it...

Worst Umpiring Decision - Ganguly at the recieving End ,Chennai test 1999 - YouTube
Wow, that is bad.

Worst I've seen, live (on my TV) was McCullum out LBW to a left-arm spinner (Razzaq, perhaps) against Bangladesh in 08. Umpire was Asoka 'the worst of the worst' de Silva. It was high, pitching outside leg and missing leg.

It would be more damaging to his reputation if someone said he actually thought it was out than if he was cheating..that's how ridiculous it was.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
I remember this tour vividly from when I was a kid and all the uproar that went down, the umpires that series had their finger up in the air while the bowler was still running in, proper quick on the draw.
Was the first one given as LBW or caught behind do you know?

Camo999

State 12th Man
Ha Petrie. That was nothing compared to Leigh Colbert v Adelaide in '97 though. Grant Vernon the Ump.

The 2000/1 Aus v WI series stick in my mind for really, really poor umpiring. We prob would have won 5-0 anyway but every call seemed to go against windies. Poor old Michael Holding was nearly reduced to tears and started keeping tally of poor decisions.

In particular a tailender, I think Nixon McLean, given out lbw to MacGill to a ball that hit him on the pad a meter outside off stump when he played a shot and ball was missing the stumps by miles anyway. Also remember Langer edging to Lara in the slips - clean knee high catch and refusing to walk. Lara was absolutely furious, umps consulted, somehow didn't give him out and he carried on his innings.

archie mac

International Coach
Lance Cairns being called for intimidatory bowling after a slow medium bouncer which dismissed Jim Higgs. The decision allowed Doug Walters to score a ton and for Australia to win the match.

LBW given against Ponting on debut which robbed him of a 100 in his first game