• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Yorkshire CCC racism crisis thread

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
BTW I'm fairly certain that this quote would be in reference to the old school drinking culture that would be attached to a lot of sports clubs in the UK. For small cricket clubs at a level way below County level, the bar and the club as a social meeting place is literally how the club survives financially.

Again, Asians not going there isn't because there's a 'whites only' clubhouse policy you'd find in 1970s South Africa, but because it wouldn't be the cultural norm amongst British Asians (certainly not those who were raised Muslim.) It goes back to the point I made earlier about cultural differences being the reason I lost touch with a lot of childhood Muslim friends because (understandably) going out to the pub on a Thursday night wasn't their idea of fun when they weren't going to be partaking.
It's weird because apart from a couple, all my Muslim friends in Sydney and Melbourne loved having a few beers on nights out. Maybe Australia is a different kettle than the UK?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's weird because apart from a couple, all my Muslim friends in Sydney and Melbourne loved having a few beers on nights out. Maybe Australia is a different kettle than the UK?
Depends what their background is I suppose, I know countries like Turkey aren't as strict on the 'no alcohol thing as others.

I think most of the kids I grew up with would have been 2nd generation, with all the parental pressure that entails. My experience might be totally different if I was 18 now compared to being 18 in the early 2000s.

Aritro

International Regular
From what I've observed, the South Asian Muslims in the UK are a very religious lot for a variety of reasons - notably more religious, or at least more orthodox in the practice of their religion - than members of the equivalent communities in Australia and in North America.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some British Asians drink and some don't. I'd guess it would be a fairly small minority who would become a part of the cricket club drinking culture though.

I'm not exactly Lloyd's biggest fan, but I wouldn't immediately assume the worst of him for that comment given that it's paraphrased, third-hand, and out of context.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
That October 2020 just irks, though. If his intention was to do something about it, he could have started then, perhaps?

Aritro

International Regular
Vaughan has been defended by those two bastions of Journalistic integrity, Kelvin McKenzie and Piers Morgan, so that's proof he's as big a **** as it's possible to be.
This is the most accurate post I've ever seen on CricketWeb. They're like The Three Tenors of being complete gob****es - masters of the craft. May they all get ****ed with a gigantic horse ****.

igorbalis

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Honestly mate, I've said it before, but it really is a thing, people my age banging on about World War 2 like they were fighting it themselves. I always say you're older than you ****ing look aren't you?

The weird thing is that for us that are old enough to remember people that genuinely saw horrible things in the War, most of them didn't want to talk about it, these weirdos that want to co-opt these people to them, really have no idea. Most voted to join the eU because they couldn't countenance another war like they were traumatised in, but ho-hum, Off topic.

On-Topic Vaughan is racist scum.
I would vote for any single-issue party that campaigned solely on a manifesto of bringing back national service, but only conscripting stupid boomers who share memes on facebook about doing so.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Vaughan has been defended by those two bastions of Journalistic integrity, Kelvin McKenzie and Piers Morgan, so that's proof he's as big a **** as it's possible to be.
Crazy how he has gone from being so loved for the ashes 05 win to being despised by all bar ****s now.

mackembhoy

International Debutant
I'm sure it's been shared already. But if it hasn't

Full witness statement all 57 pages which makes for some harrowing reading.

Multiple individuals should never been involved in cricket again.

Find Warwickshire response about Bresnan pretty laughable.

Despite me sharing that video of Jack Brooks/Pujara/Gillespie earlier.

The latter is one of the only people to come out of this whole horrible instructional racism in English cricket with any positives so far.

Niall

International Coach
Crazy how he has gone from being so loved for the ashes 05 win to being despised by all bar ****s now.

Even ignoring his personality,,,is he that interesting as a pundit? Warne anther berk at least can be interesting when not doing banter and discussing spin.

In the grand scheme of things also its not the worst thing ever, but he was pretty brazen for advocating England selecting cricketers who were with his agency.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
A Muslim who doesn't know what kafir means, moreover thinks it's a racist term directed at him i.e. a Muslim? ****in A, seen everything now.