• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Yorkshire CCC racism crisis thread

mackembhoy

International Debutant
A Muslim who doesn't know what kafir means, moreover thinks it's a racist term directed at him i.e. a Muslim? ****in A, seen everything now.
Hes spoken about he was confused why they called him it. As he didn't understand how they knew that it meant Non-believer. Rather than they were using it an insult from South African apartheid.

I personally know of it due to an essay I did on Gandhi at school. So why would a Pakistani English man have any real understanding of the latter meaning, unless having read into apartheid.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Reading Rafiq's evidence now.....the highly touted Harry Brook racially abuses South Asian Yorkshire supporters at one game....

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Incredible lack of self-awareness and introspection from ex-players and coaches. These 'apologies' over twitter fill with me suspicion. Are they genuinely remorseful (Ballance, Bresnan, Lloyd) or is it solely the fact they were caught and that the culture of Yorkshire CCC has been exposed?

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Reading Rafiq's evidence now.....the highly touted Harry Brook racially abuses South Asian Yorkshire supporters at one game....
His relative rather than him.

I would like to hear from others in the dressing room. English cricket can't grow if those that have heard stuff or maybe even joined in can't speak out or apologise.

As a Durham fan I'd like to hear Alex Lees take. Considering it reads like he's not a fan of Bresnan and in the dressing room throughout most of Rafiqs time at the club.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
His relative rather than him.

I would like to hear from others in the dressing room. English cricket can't grow if those that have heard stuff or maybe even joined in can't speak out or apologise.

As a Durham fan I'd like to hear Alex Lees take. Considering it reads like he's not a fan of Bresnan and in the dressing room throughout most of Rafiqs time at the club.
Ah yes, I misread that in haste. Grandfather Brook must be around 80. I know some people will say 'it's a different generation'. Well, the Rivers of Blood speech was more than 50 years ago and Powell was widely reviled then, so I have no truck with anyone who makes that excuse.

Niall

International Coach
I have skim readed the report that was linked to earlier.

Balllance, Bresnan and Gale should not be employed by any County team ever again. Scum.

Reactions: FBU

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Incredible lack of self-awareness and introspection from ex-players and coaches. These 'apologies' over twitter fill with me suspicion. Are they genuinely remorseful (Ballance, Bresnan, Lloyd) or is it solely the fact they were caught and that the culture of Yorkshire CCC has been exposed?
Yeah, and Bresnan's apology, not unreserved as he then went onto say that he said nothing racist.

Rafiq has said he felt Hoggy's was genuine as it wasn't for public consumption. TBH Hoggard does just seem he has the IQ of a particularly dense brick. Mind you I've never much liked the excuse, oh they're too thick to understand their racism, as though racism is particulatly an intellectual action. Yet he is probably so stupid he can't quite get that "bantz" can cross the line.

Mind you one of the most amazing revelations in all this was that David Byas was anyone's hero.

Niall

International Coach
I think the lack of concern for him after his son passes is the absolute worst of it. Not even an attempt by Gale etc to pretend to care.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Rafiq has said he felt Hoggy's was genuine as it wasn't for public consumption. TBH Hoggard does just seem he has the IQ of a particularly dense brick. Mind you I've never much liked the excuse, oh they're too thick to understand their racism, as though racism is particulatly an intellectual action. Yet he is probably so stupid he can't quite get that "bantz" can cross the line.
I've no doubt that there will be players who involved themselves in racist 'banter' in order to fit in with the dressing room lest they become the targets of said banter.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
A Muslim who doesn't know what kafir means, moreover thinks it's a racist term directed at him i.e. a Muslim? ****in A, seen everything now.
As I posted a while ago.

This from Mihir Bose. Astonishing.
Recently, while researching my book, The Impossible Dream, Rafiq told me how for about two years some of his Yorkshire teammates had called him “Rafa the kafir”. For Rafiq, a practising Muslim who has been to Mecca for hajj – the pilgrimage all Muslims are meant to do once in their lifetime – that meant he was an unbeliever and is a devastating charge. He was puzzled because none of the people calling him “kafir” were Muslims or knew anything about Islam.

What he did not know was they were using the word “kaffir” – not the Islamic “kafir”, but the term used in apartheid-era South Africa to denigrate black and brown people. Rafiq only discovered this when Yorkshire later held an investigation into his allegations that he had suffered racism.

smash84

The Tiger King
As I posted a while ago.

This from Mihir Bose. Astonishing.
Recently, while researching my book, The Impossible Dream, Rafiq told me how for about two years some of his Yorkshire teammates had called him “Rafa the kafir”. For Rafiq, a practising Muslim who has been to Mecca for hajj – the pilgrimage all Muslims are meant to do once in their lifetime – that meant he was an unbeliever and is a devastating charge. He was puzzled because none of the people calling him “kafir” were Muslims or knew anything about Islam.

What he did not know was they were using the word “kaffir” – not the Islamic “kafir”, but the term used in apartheid-era South Africa to denigrate black and brown people. Rafiq only discovered this when Yorkshire later held an investigation into his allegations that he had suffered racism.
Thanks, i didn't know this either. I was wondering why would they call Rafiq as kafir, they probably wouldn't even know the meaning. Now this falls into place.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, and Bresnan's apology, not unreserved as he then went onto say that he said nothing racist.

Mind you one of the most amazing revelations in all this was that David Byas was anyone's hero.
There is just no way that Hoggard didn't know the meaning of the southern African term 'kaffir', however unintelligent he may be.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
The mention of calling a player "Kevin" or "Steve" reminded me of the way Colonel H.H. Shri Sir Ranjitsinhji Vibhaji II, Jam Saheb of Nawanagar, often known as Ranji or K. S. Ranjitsinhji, was referred to as "Smith" when playing for his English University side.

Aritro

International Regular
Which in turn reminds me of the way His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hajj Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of all the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular was referred to as "Idi Amin".

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can anyone explain why the pujara Steve thing is so bad on its own. I understand that when taken with context surrounding the other stuff going on at Yorkshire there's clearly racist intent behind it, but I saw a majority of people on social medias I frequent treating it like it was as bad as some of the other stuff mentioned in the initial report (The comment about the Pakistani player being "a pa**" and not TO talk to him because he's from another country.) Before the extent of the issues at Yorkshire where fully publicised.
It's such a throwback kind of attitude though. I mean, when my grandfather founded a sports club in the 50s in midst of a huge wave of post-war immigration, they had a stack of Eastern European immigrants come and play soccer, and it was just the done thing to Anglicize their names.

They had a Polish bloke who played in goals with a name as long as your arm, and when he's rocked up even he said "Call me George", so of course his name thereafter wasn't his actual name, or even George, it was "Call Me George."

But you'd think by the 2000s that sort of lazy attitude would have gone by the wayside, wouldn't you? It isn't even as though Pujara's name is hard to pronounce ffs.