• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Yorkshire CCC racism crisis thread

SillyCowCorner1

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hales track record now includes :

-Kicking a defenseless dude in the head after his mate stokes had knocked him out
-Mocking a cricketer by doing a fake cry after dropping a sitter
-Racism

Seems a lovely bloke. And yes I realise the second one is less bad but it was more annoying.
Sounds like he belong in a 6x4 gaol.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Gillespie has Indigenous Australian ancestry. Quite surprised that he accepted it, but it's ingrained in the culture, I guess.

Spark

Global Moderator

-Kicking a defenseless dude in the head after his mate stokes had knocked him out
-Racism

Seems a lovely bloke. And yes I realise the second one is less bad but it was more annoying.
Obviously you shouldn't directly link the two but the second one is more that it's a public indication of a substandard level of character, no? Which is a prerequisite for the other two.

Spark

Global Moderator
Gillespie has Indigenous Australian ancestry. Quite surprised that he accepted it, but it's ingrained in the culture, I guess.
Yeah this is what I was getting at. Obviously the culture would have been a huge ask for one man to swim against, but still disappointing.

EDIT: Having said that it should be noted that Gillespie has long been one of the people who has publicly backed Rafiq against Yorkshire and publicly affirmed his story, and already admitted that he personally should have done better.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Spark would have changed it for sure in a second.

That Alex Hales anecdote is pure oof. Was there more on Bresnan?

Spikey

-Racism

And it was having some coke that really got him into trouble

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
On a call, cliffs re: Gillespie plz
All I have seen is that clip from Yorkshire bus where he seems to say the asian boys should sit together. My gut feel is that it was more light hearted and maybe a response to how they can be bullied if sitting alone or something, but in any which way, it is not a great thing to say and does suggest there was institutional casual racism ripe at Yorkshire.

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
there's more chance of oil in my backyard than this being a factor.

I'd love for it be true, but come on.
Bit of headcannon to follow:

You don't think it's weird that a guy like balance only had 20 tests with a Travis head esque average and a beastly fc record in one of England's most grim batting eras when guys like Bairstow have gotten 70+ tests with much worse records? Even bloody Malan who's the same age as Ballance with a far worse redball record get recalled recently.

Despite all of Morgan's talk around not trusting Hale's, stokes was let back into the team for similar ****. I know that Hale's went and played golf the next morning and all, but it's been years and the guy has torn it up all over the world, there's clearly more at play then Morgan "not trusting him." If this stuff was dirty laundry that the dressing room knew about like an earlier tweet stated this all makes alot more sense.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I mean, it could be that they were not very pleasant individuals and that played a part in keeping them out but I will be very surprised if they were kept out for their racist remarks history or whatever in this present ECB set up.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
I am more surprised by the fact people are surprised by this. To a greater or lesser extent I've observed this behaviour in the work place while in England. And my little interaction and understanding was it is all pretty rife in the sporting clubs. And I know that SA it is no better, even though people are meant to be far more aware here. I will be very surprised to find that this is not common everywhere in places that have historical British/European backgrounds. Whatever we may pretend.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain

You don't think it's weird that a guy like balance only had 20 tests with a Travis head esque average and a beastly fc record in one of England's most grim batting eras when guys like Bairstow have gotten 70+ tests with much worse records? Even bloody Malan who's the same age as Ballance with a far worse redball record get recalled recently.

Despite all of Morgan's talk around not trusting Hale's, stokes was let back into the team for similar ****. I know that Hale's went and played golf the next morning and all, but it's been years and the guy has torn it up all over the world, there's clearly more at play then Morgan "not trusting him." If this stuff was dirty laundry that the dressing room knew about like an earlier tweet stated this all makes alot more sense.
I reckon Root would've loved Ballance back in the dressing room, but his Test batting fell off a cliff pretty rapidly after a good first year or two. Had an absolute 'mare in Bangladesh and might've got dropped before coming back for some reason. Has a great FC record, but so does Bairstow when you strip out his Test batting. They're probably on par. I think Joe might be an insecure team player and likes to have his mates around.

Hales just seems like a total jerk.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
I mean, it could be that they were not very pleasant individuals and that played a part in keeping them out but I will be very surprised if they were kept out for their racist remarks history or whatever in this present ECB set up.
I think this is the case with Hales. I think it got to the point that Morgan (and other players) just didn't want to put up with him in the dressing room. I doubt it was racism specifically that excluded him (though that's obviously not entirely unrelated to being a bad egg in general).

Re: Ballance I think it was cricketing reasons rather than behavioural ones that mean he's been left out by England for some time now. I never got the impression that he had a bad rep at all until the recent revelations.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain

Ballance averaged under 20 for 23 innings so I'm not sure its unusual he didn't play more, it was seen as a significant technical issue for many England fans if not the England camp itself so even when FC runs came its a bit like if Vince has a great FC season people will still have doubts. He was very good for a short while and then poor even by England's pretty low standards for the latter part of his England career. I'm also unsure exactly how news of Ballance's indiscretions would have made its way through - Root says he doesn't recall witnessing racism - would the few Asian players feel empowered to speak up about it knowing it would probably get them brandished a trouble-maker and given he says Tino Best and Rana Naved-ul-Hasan are the heros for speaking up about it now - it would suggest that people were not speaking up about it previously.

Spikey

Anyone who saw Ballance play in tests knows why his test career is done. Ben Stokes did not fail a drug test and supposedly mislead the captain about it. There is nothing to suggest whatsoever that today's revelations had any impact on their careers with England.

And of course if they did have an impact, that would raise a ton of troubling questions rather than making england look good. But it doesn't matter because it wasn't a factor

Nintendo

Cricketer Of The Year
Ballance averaged under 20 for 23 innings so I'm not sure its unusual he didn't play more, it was seen as a significant technical issue for many England fans if not the England camp itself so even when FC runs came its a bit like if Vince has a great FC season people will still have doubts. He was very good for a short while and then poor even by England's pretty low standards for the latter part of his England career. I'm also unsure exactly how news of Ballance's indiscretions would have made its way through - Root says he doesn't recall witnessing racism - would the few Asian players feel empowered to speak up about it knowing it would probably get them brandished a trouble-maker and given he says Tino Best and Rana Naved-ul-Hasan are the heros for speaking up about it now - it would suggest that people were not speaking up about it previously.
Ill be honest my knowledge on balances overall career are very suspect, so I won't comment about the selection there. On the technical thing, Bairstow has been synonymous with stumps being rattled for years now and his stats are very underwhelming. Malan averages the worse side of 30 and is 34 going on 35, they've recalled plenty of worse guys since it seems like Ballance was finally removed in 2017.

I know this is all conjecture but it reeks of something worse going on behind the scenes.

Edit:Thinking about it more balance makes sense, his test batting tappered off bad like mentioned and England just didn't bring him back. England recalling Malan and Bairstow is because theyve been prolific in white ball and the selectors seem more then happy recalling/picking on that to replace there horrible batting stocks, no other reason Jason Roy the test player was a thing .

Last edited:

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Ballance's Test career was basically bullying an average Indian bowling attack in the Summer of 2014. Varun Aaron, Pankaj Singh, a relatively green Shami/Bhuvi, Stuart Binny, Jadeja/Ashwin not doing much. I'm guessing that series was most notable for the end of Stuart Broad's batting career.

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
Re: YJB, I am sure you can draw a nice graph or Venn diagram that shows his short form stats going up and his Test stats going down. His technique opened up to make him a better short form player (to create room through the off side), which has been hopelessly exposed against the moving ball in Tests.

SillyCowCorner1

I thought it was that which was disrespectful in itself but it seems there might have been more as there was apparently a racist gag in the team to call all non-white players 'Kevin' etc which makes it worse than just calling someone a generic shorthand name for convenience.

The important thing is no one in the Indian team or cricketing world calls Pujara, 'Cheteshwar'. it's usually 'Puji' which is actually easier to pronounce than even Steve. You have to almost be going out of your way to be a dickhead to rename him IMO.
Didn't Rohit once blurted out an expletive against Pujara not so long ago?