• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How quick is Quick?

Himannv

International Coach
1) Who was the quickest you faced?

The quickest without a doubt was Jeff Thompson with Wes Hall just a shade slower but because he was taller the ball seemed to rise up on you quicker

2) How quick do you reckon they were bowling?

I don't need to say how fast it is a matter of record

3) How quick do you reckon you have bowled (be realistic)?

Didn't bowl normally...Keeper/Opener ...did roll the arm over ina couple of games as a frustrared leggie..no idea how fast
You batted against Thompson and Hall? Wow.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1)Who was the quickest you faced?

The machine, set it to 150ks for a laught, couldn't even see the damn ball before it flew past.

Seriously though, Maharoof. He came to Singapore for a year back. I was 17 at that time and I managed to edge 3 deliveries and middle none. Got bowled once as well. All this happened in a single over :S

Doubt he was bowling his quickest. Maybe 130?

100-110kph

And I have no ****ing clue how Kumble does it. He turns the ball at the same speed I bowl my 'pace'..out of the back of his hand too :(

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Probably Don Nash. I saw it, but by the time I worked out its direction stumps were all over the place. Was a nice yorker. Although, it didn't have to be to get me out.

Maybe between 130-135 - I don't think they were trying to kill us.

Maybe 125-130...I'd like to think 130, but it's probably more likely to be around 125kph. Was nippy in 1st grade in my area, could beat the bat pretty easily. Couldn't beat it very often against guys playing for their state though. They made me look around 45kph. Was 116kph on the speed gun a couple of years ago into a reasonable breeze, but would hope that I was quicker when I was 27 and had been playing a lot rather than after 2 year's break and a couple of games.

As someone mentioned, a lot of people overestimate pace. Would be very surprised if many people in your average weekend comp away from the cities is pushing it over 125-130.

Howsie

International Captain

Probably Andrew Mathieson. Anurag Verma and Trent Boult were suppose to be bowling at around the same pace but Mathieson was taller and just seemed faster with his bounce.

High 120's low 130's. All three of them made the finals for that competition where they were trying to find the fastest secondary schools bowler in the country a few years back and all three of them timed in at just over 130K.

3) How quick do you reckon you have bowled (be realistic)

126.4 - Timed in that same competition while at school.

Langeveldt

Soutie
The quickest I have faced was probably a Notts player (whose name escapes me) in the nets last week.. He was probably bowling around 125.. I also faced Makhaya Ntini, who was bleddy quick.. I managed to middle most of them and the last ball of the over went for a leg bye.. He was only coming in off a few paces though..

I define quick as enough to cause you serious pain if it hits you

I probably am bowling at 115 at the moment, which is the quickest I've bowled.. I hit a good length and get reasonable bounce, but am too wiry to bowl a really heavy ball

Daemon

Probably Andrew Mathieson. Anurag Verma and Trent Boult were suppose to be bowling at around the same pace but Mathieson was taller and just seemed faster with his bounce.

High 120's low 130's. All three of them made the finals for that competition where they were trying to find the fastest secondary schools bowler in the country a few years back and all three of them timed in at just over 130K.

3) How quick do you reckon you have bowled (be realistic)

126.4 - Timed in that same competition while at school.
How old were you? 125 ks is pretty awesome for a <16 y/o

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Shahid Afridi's quicker ball is (was? Not sure he bowls it any more) 125k. Which as the above discussion shows, is pretty bloody quick by decent club standards, and he (a) isn't a quick bowler by trade and (b) bowled off about 3 paces.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Although I faced someone with more than 500 FC wickets @ less than 25 runs per wicket, he was in fact a spin bowler (Utpal Chatterjee, who else?). The fastest bowler I faced was someone called Anirudh Masoorkar in an inter-college tourney. I reckon he bowled at around 115-120 kph. And though he didn't take my wicket and I made a half-century in that match, I must admit that I was pretty clueless facing him, played him cautiously and targetted the slow bowlers later on.

And in terms of my bowling speeds, I reckon I probably bowl at the same pace as Narendra Hirwani (a touch slower than Chatterjee himself) as I myself bowl off-spinners, and good ones for non-professional level.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have netted with some County Premier bowlers and they were probably the quickest I've faced. Dan Davis, one of my old County coaches played Somerset 2ndXI for a while, so I'd say him if you wanted a name.
Mid 70s I guess, 120-25ks. Not entirely sure, as he seemed a lot quicker than the times I've netted against the bowling machine on the low 70s. Might be because I was a bit younger at the time though, that he seemed quicker.
65mph perhaps. No quicker than 110ks. I'm an off spinner primarily but when I bowl seam ups I can get some good pace going I've been told. Erratic as anything though, so if I have to bowl seam ups I generally do my best Paul Collingwood impression and trott in and bowl hooping swing.

Burgey

The quickest without a doubt was Jeff Thompson with Wes Hall just a shade slower but because he was taller the ball seemed to rise up on you quicker

I don't need to say how fast it is a matter of record

Didn't bowl normally...Keeper/Opener ...did roll the arm over ina couple of games as a frustrared leggie..no idea how fast
Haha, ****ing fantastic. Someone close the thread. That's so good.

How did you go picking Thommo up? A lot of blokes reckoned his action made it nigh impossible until you got used to him.

Howsie

International Captain
Darryl Tuffey bowls faster than you.:ph34r:

That's pretty good though Howsie. What level do you play?
Nothing to fantastic. Club cricket and some district cricket but that's about it. I picked up a few big injuries a couple of years back so it sort of stunted my growth as a cricketer. Lost a whole season after school and never really got back going again.

bagapath

International Captain
JBMAC's post was as always, awesome!

I think, at the international level, 130+ is fast medium. (kapil dev, botham, zaheer khan, pollock, later day mcgrath). 140+ is fast. (akram - for most of his career except some express fast spells, hadlee, ntini, imran, post stress fracture lillee, garner, ambrose, walsh). and frequently going 150+ is express fast (akhthar, lee, marshall, waqar, bond, holding, donald, thompson).

Elango. Back in 1987.

I don't know. He hit me in the crotch when I wasn't wearing a box. I am not yet a dad. So I reckon he was really fast.

I am an off spinner. At my peak, I would have bowled at about 4km/hour. Sometimes when I didn't like the ball I had bowled I would run after it, catch the ball before it landed on the pitch and come back to my bowling mark.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

I don't know. He hit me in the crotch when I wasn't wearing a box. I am not yet a dad. So I reckon he was really fast.

I am an off spinner. At my peak, I would have bowled at about 4km/hour. Sometime when I didn't like the ball I have bowled I would run after it, catch the ball before it lands on the pitch and come back to my bowling mark.
lmfao :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year

A guy at my cricket club who occasionally trains with Kent 2s.

He has been timed at 138kph, but I'd reckon around 120kph.

110kph maximum.

JBMAC

State Captain
Haha, ****ing fantastic. Someone close the thread. That's so good.

How did you go picking Thommo up? A lot of blokes reckoned his action made it nigh impossible until you got used to him.
When JT came to Brisbane he was pretty raw and I was facing him in the nets as he was in our side. He relied on pure pace with that distinctive slingy action and he would be the first to admit that he had little or no control of direction...hence lots of wides with keepers (ahem) having no idea how to really deal with this type of bowling. When he changed clubs in FC in Brisbane and I had to face him I took middle and off as guard and protected my wicket with as much bat as i could because although he was bloody fast it wasn't until well into his career he perfected the "sandshoe crushing yorker".

Teja.

Global Moderator

I am an off spinner. At my peak, I would have bowled at about 4km/hour. Sometimes when I didn't like the ball I had bowled I would run after it, catch the ball before it landed on the pitch and come back to my bowling mark.
:laugh: