• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How quick is Quick?

Shri

Mr. Glass
Have bowlers who purely rely on pace and not swing like Lee, Akhtar and others troubled Sehwag in the past? Something I have not paid attention to in the game. Can someone give me an answer?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
you must be too young if you didnt think of mohinder amarnath when it came to facing pace bowling full on. his hooks off holding-garner-roberts-marshall are legendary. kapil was excellent against fast bowling too.
No I did not watch Amarnath. Didn't he have a long string of ducks against WI at home though?

smash84

The Tiger King
tape ball is an interesting phenomena. It's very hard to bat against it, because it keeps low. Alternatively in SL we burn the outercrust of the tennis ball, so it travels very quick. It's not quick as the tape ball but the "burnt ball" leaves some useful bounce. Since most SL street batsmen are short, they like when the ball bounces, so they can cut and pull. Burn't ball really comes to the picture when you bowl wrist spin. It bounces devilishly if you bowl good side spun leg breaks. When I was on top of my game the keeper used to take the ball chest high when I was bowling. To complicate problems, the sliders with the burnt ball really slides. With this "burnt ball" we had a bloke in my school who used to be very quick. Even a nick off him would travel 40-50m on the out field with the burnt tennis ball. And when one side of the burnt ball is made smooth with a sand paper, ball swings as well. This bloke bowled Waqar-esque banana inswingers at our toes in the College days.
Interesting. There is no concept of the "burnt ball" here in Pakistan. However when the tennis ball loses its hair it does become very bouncy we call it the "bald ball".

Most street batsmen here in Pakistan find it quite easy to play with the tape ball because the ball doesn't do too much off the pitch and comes on nicely. It doesn't bounce too high either so it is not too disconcerting for the batsman. The main advantage though is that the ball comes on real quick through the air and off the pitch as well. Since it is much lighter than the regular leather ball hence it is easier to hurl it down real quick. It can swing in the air if you tamper the ball a bit. Just rip of the tape a little bit from one side and the ball will swing to the side that does not have the tape ripped off. You can throw good swinging yorkers with it. I used to be quite good at that tampering at one point in time when I used to bowl decent medium fast. The ball would boomerang into the stumps from outside off stump.

However the important thing is learning to bowl the yorker with that tape ball or risk getting smashed all over the park because otherwise the ball will come on to the bat very nicely.

I refuse to believe him for the sole reason that I can't imagine a busy Asian street accommodating the long run up he'd need to accomplish that feat. :p
the street doesn't have to be busy. In fact the best streets to play are those that have few people and houses. Looks like you haven't had the joys of playing lots of street cricket.

smash84

The Tiger King
Have bowlers who purely rely on pace and not swing like Lee, Akhtar and others troubled Sehwag in the past? Something I have not paid attention to in the game. Can someone give me an answer?
I don't think they troubled him on flat wickets.

Teja.

Global Moderator
No I did not watch Amarnath. Didn't he have a long string of ducks against WI at home though?
Amarnath has a brilliant record against WI too
Semi-myth tbh, He played them in 5 series, 3 at home, 2 away.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

He had two good series, one of which(home) he played only 2 games and scored 142 runs with two not-outs resulting in his average being 142.00 in that series. The other good series, he averaged 66 away, which saw some of the best knocks against fast-bowling ever.

He also had one decent series away where he averaged 40.

Based on his previous performances, the Indian team depended and counted on him performing well in the future, In the last 2 series he played against them(Home) he scored 44 runs in 6 games averaging under 5.

Overall, he averaged 38 against them, which I think is a fair gauge of his performances.

smash84

The Tiger King
an average of 38 against the windies in 80s was awesome. border averaged about 39 as well.
Yes. There weren't too many who would average in the 40s against the Windies in the 80s. A high 30s against them was quite decent.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All this overestimating talk....I reckon we underestimate a lot of it. First class cricketers aren't ****ing machines ffs. I'm not saying your average opening bowler in country cricket bowls 130km/h but just because they're not at a higher level doesn't mean that some don't.

Those saying 100km/h deadset bowl right arm slow.
Of course some do, but it's funny how talk gets around about how fast a guy is and immediately numbers like 130kph+ are thrown around. A lot of the time, it's just not true.

We had a couple of guys that were sharp playing in our comp, quite a bit quicker than everyone else. Going on some other bowlers who had their speeds checked during a game, I'd say they actually were 130+

Played against Chris Swan back in the early 2000's too, and he was pretty sharp. Our batsmen played and missed a lot. Probably had something do do with them not being very good, as well as him being far too good for most at that level.

Had a young guy come back to our club from the Gold Coast Dolphins and training up at The Gabba for a while. Everyone was saying how quick he was and so on. He was clocked at 120kph in a game, and he was bowling with the wind...think he appeared quicker cause he got good bounce and movement myself.

I think sometime a guy looks quicker because the batsmen simply aren't good enough. Get a good bat, with all the time in the world, and all of a sudden some people look like they're bowling a hoop up a hill at 50kph.

There'll always be the odd player who pushes it past 125/130 in your average comp though.

Last edited: