• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

what do you think of gambhir as a batsman?

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lol, he was concussed. I know batsmen have helmets, but ask Justin Langer and Shivnarine Chanderpaul whether their helmets were any good when they've copped serious blows.

Allowing Gambhir to bat put his health seriously at risk. He should never have been allowed out to the middle, and if it was a management decision then whoever was responsible should have been sacked for endangering Gambhir further.
I know he was concussed but lots of people thought that was a front as he was having a wretched tour, soon became obvious it wasn't.

Having said that, no sympathy for how he got it making a complete balls up of a simple catch.

When you look at it, he bumped his head and then didn't open the batting. people thought he was being soft. It is announced that he had concussion then he bats ok in first innings and as he is an opener some expected him to open in the 2nd as he was ok as no sane doctor would have allowed a concussed man to bat in the first place. Watching him groping around in the 2nd innings it was clear they guy was ill and shouldn't have been on the field. The Indian doctor wants slaughtering for allowing him out there and many on here jumped to the wrong conclusion after seeing him come out to bat in the first place.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I know he was concussed but lots of people thought that was a front as he was having a wretched tour, soon became obvious it wasn't.

Having said that, no sympathy for how he got it making a complete balls up of a simple catch.
dude... so you think it is ok for anyone who has ever dropped a catch to be concussed? :confused:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well if he hadn't ****ed up a simple chance he wouldn't have bumped his head in the first place as he would have stood up and caught it easily.
I am not arguing that point.. I am just seeing it seems real harsh that you will say you have no sympathy for a guy who got concussed, just because he got it while dropping a catch.. There are far more stupid things that people do that leads them to get concussed but I don't think I will ever lose sympathy for them however daft the action causing the concussion was....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Smacks of Anglo-centricism I'm afraid. Anyone who'd watched equal proportions of his entire career would find the idea laughable.
Whatever then.

To me I was watching a bloke who'd previously cried off tests in the last year or so against SA & Oz in series that (hey) I'd followed (it's ever so good, Sky) do the same thing again.

I dunno, maybe it's because I'm an unreconstructed neanderthal and all, but I like to see chaps who want it badly despite being hurt and have to be talked out of playing on for the good of their health rather than those who have to be coaxed to the crease or nets to see if they might possibly be able to continue.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Whatever then.

To me I was watching a bloke who'd previously cried off tests in the last year or so against SA & Oz in series that (hey) I'd followed (it's ever so good, Sky) do the same thing again.

I dunno, maybe it's because I'm an unreconstructed neanderthal and all, but I like to see chaps who want it badly despite being hurt and have to be talked out of playing on for the good of their health rather than those who have to be coaxed to the crease or nets to see if they might possibly be able to continue.
Lol

Umar_Akmal

Banned
Averages is gone below 50 now. Huge slide from 58 at one point. Not good enough player to average 50+ in tests. If he can stay fit, Gambhir would average in early 40s.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Averages is gone below 50 now. Huge slide from 58 at one point. Not good enough player to average 50+ in tests. If he can stay fit, Gambhir would average in early 40s.
Why do I get the feeling you are a troll? Every post you make is basically a dig at India. Go back to Pakpassion kid.

Also I don't like Gambhir either, mostly because I always forget how to spell his name and where to put the 'h'. It drives me nuts

Uppercut

Whatever then.

But you're just speculating on both his physical condition in the lead-up to those tests, and on Gambhir's personal attitude to whether he should be playing or not. We don't know how fit he was in any of those situations- we can't even make a semi-educated guess. We don't even know whether he actually wanted to play or not. Players don't select themselves. Has there been an interview or some crucial piece of info that's gone over my head? Where did the assumption that Gambhir wasn't up for playing come from?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
But you're just speculating on both his physical condition in the lead-up to those tests, and on Gambhir's personal attitude to whether he should be playing or not. We don't know how fit he was in any of those situations- we can't even make a semi-educated guess. We don't even know whether he actually wanted to play or not. Players don't select themselves. Has there been an interview or some crucial piece of info that's gone over my head? Where did the assumption that Gambhir wasn't up for playing come from?
Despite what Joe said earlier both Bumble and Manjrekar said they'd seen him having a full net on the morning of the second test.

Now they could both have axes to grind, but it doesn't sound too likely. Looks like a pattern to me.

& I'm unashamedly biased against anyone who gives a sly elbow to someone who'd tear him limb from limb in a square go. Him being gun-shy would fit perfectly with him being a cheap shot merchant.

Uppercut

Perhaps, but it's still stretching it to conclude that it was Gambhir's decision not to play the test. Not that I'm saying that's not the case. But who knows?

Maybe being soft would be consistent with his acting like a total **** in that particular incident but it would be quite severely out of keeping with his career as a cricketer.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
Also I don't like Gambhir either said:
:laugh: What!!!!

coming to the thread, Gambhir is a serious suspect outside off stamp, though most batsmen are, but he a bit more because of his tendency of playing far away from his body (sometimes it is quite difficult to assume exactly what shot he was playing), and definitely against the short pitched stuff...but i think, he has the ability to perform outside sub continent, but may be, not in a consistent basis...but in the sub continent, he is as good as any, very good against spinners as well...in fact, after Gavaskar, he and Sehwag are the two best openers to have come from india, can't see his averages going down to 40 though...(averages do fluctuate when one doesn't have enough weight of runs to back it up, they tend to get stable, as the career progresses, i see it somewhere in the high 40's five years from now, definitely)

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
His stats are impressive. But when the going gets tough, Gambhir doesn't get going.
:huh:

Have people critcising him in this even thread followed his career or is the the same problem many seem to be suffering from recently of thinking the world did not existing before this one series?

Criticising him for his strong points if anything.:laugh: