• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

what do you think of gambhir as a batsman?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Fair enough and all, but he missed the second test after being hit on the upper arm which I'm sure killed, but was still a soft tissue injury and hardly life threatening.

I'd suggest if he was well enough to net he was well enough to play.

Contrast that with Flintoff's attitude in the 2009 Ashes. He was rested for the fourth test because he was suffering from (as it turned out) a career-ending knee injury and kicked up the mother of all stinks because he so badly wanted to play.
You have no idea whether Gambhir threw up a stink or not. How do you know he didn't react similarly to Flintoff, but just indoors? Or in his own way, which is different to how someone like Flintoff would show such emotion?

Gambhir also copped a lot of **** for "playing whilst injured" during the IPL for the record.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Fair enough and all, but he missed the second test after being hit on the upper arm which I'm sure killed, but was still a soft tissue injury and hardly life threatening.

I'd suggest if he was well enough to net he was well enough to play.

Contrast that with Flintoff's attitude in the 2009 Ashes. He was rested for the fourth test because he was suffering from (as it turned out) a career-ending knee injury and kicked up the mother of all stinks because he so badly wanted to play.
At the same time playing through injuries and trying to come back too quickly can be more of a long term hindrance to the team. I think a player who holds his hands up and says "guys, I'm not quite ready for this game but I'll be doing my best to make sure I'm fighting fit for the next game" is a far better asset to the team long term than someone like Flintoff who basically knackered his body.

Flintoff really isn't an example of someone to hold up as an example when it comes to injury management.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
You have no idea whether Gambhir threw up a stink or not. How do you know he didn't react similarly to Flintoff, but just indoors? Or in his own way, which is different to how someone like Flintoff would show such emotion?

Gambhir also copped a lot of **** for "playing whilst injured" during the IPL for the record.
Different issue; the Indian players who did so deserve to cop flak given the national team's touring commitments after the IPL.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Obviously, but my point is its quite ironic because he copped it immediately after the IPL.

He said he didn't know he was injured and the team doctor gave him the okay ftr

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Flintoff really isn't an example of someone to hold up as an example when it comes to injury management.
Yeah awta.

Fair enough we like the old hard-arse machoness, but modern day sport science has ensured the sport has well and truly passed that as a way of how to be a successful professional cricketer. You have to be smart about how you go about it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Obviously, but my point is its quite ironic because he copped it immediately after the IPL.

He said he didn't know he was injured and the team doctor gave him the okay ftr
Ah ok, I thought that Gambhir was in the same boat as Sehwag and Zaheer (?) in playing IPL despite already having injuries.

edit: was Gambhir's injury not acquired during the World Cup? That might be where I'm getting my wires crossed, in that he picked up the injury but no-one noticed?

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Well, I don't but, balance of probabilities, if he's having a full net it's unlikely the physio's told him to go back to the hotel and rest, isn't it?

The injuries he missed tests v SA & Oz with were both of the "painful but HTFU" variety too, being bruised hand and swollen knee respectively. Netted extensively before the second test in SA too, ftr.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Well, I don't but, balance of probabilities, if he's having a full net it's unlikely the physio's told him to go back to the hotel and rest, isn't it?

The injuries he missed tests v SA & Oz with were both of the "painful but HTFU" variety too, being bruised hand and swollen knee respectively. Netted extensively before the second test in SA too, ftr.
Haha, after my knee troubles in the last year I certainly wouldn't ever bag anyone for not playing with a sore knee.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Gambhir himself said he just faced up for 10 mins.. Why do we have to believe Bumble and Manjrekar here? Maybe they just thought that sort of commentary would help create more interest on what they are doing...

Heck, have they even responded to what Gambhir said? How is it only Bumble and Manjrekar who mentioned it? None of the guys on Star Cricket said anything about it...

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

you speak as if you got first hand knowledge of what he said and how injured he was... Bottomline is he has played through injuries often enough in his career for people to conclude that the 2nd test was just an aberration and that he may have seriously felt that playing another batsman who is fully fit (Yuvraj) might be more beneficial for the team.. Brumby, you are among the best posters in this forum but you are needlessly getting involved in this debate based on nothing but your own opinions of him which are simply not backed up by facts of his career till date... If you don't like him, fair enough, but lets not throw around accusations that have no basis whatsoever...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
you speak as if you got first hand knowledge of what he said and how injured he was... Bottomline is he has played through injuries often enough in his career for people to conclude that the 2nd test was just an aberration and that he may have seriously felt that playing another batsman who is fully fit (Yuvraj) might be more beneficial for the team.. Brumby, you are among the best posters in this forum but you are needlessly getting involved in this debate based on nothing but your own opinions of him which are simply not backed up by facts of his career till date... If you don't like him, fair enough, but lets not throw around accusations that have no basis whatsoever...
Hardly baseless to suggest a batsmen who's missed tests on three separate occasions in the last year might be less prepared to suck it up than other players, is it? None of them were bone breaks, muscle pulls or tears, cartilage or ligament injuries.

Say what you like about Ponting (and many have) but he did play in the fourth test of the recent Ashes with a broken finger. Now, one might doubt the wisdom of this, but not his heart for the fight. Could you honestly, hand on heart, say the same about Gambhir?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Hardly baseless to suggest a batsmen who's missed tests on three separate occasions in the last year might be less prepared to suck it up than other players, is it? None of them were bone breaks, muscle pulls or tears, cartilage or ligament injuries.

Say what you like about Ponting (and many have) but he did play in the fourth test of the recent Ashes with a broken finger. Now, one might doubt the wisdom of this, but not his heart for the fight. Could you honestly, hand on heart, say the same about Gambhir?
In b4 someone speculates about Ponting missing few matches in and a couple of tours including 2004 to India and when he returned to the nets.:ph34r:

Btw, all of those were visible injuries IIRC and there was no reason for him to miss a test against Australia as he had a great series against them last time.

And there have been 3 examples already during the same period of him carrying on and even doing well with injuries on crucial junctures. Including a concussion against England at the Oval, and a Shoulder and elbow injury against Steyn and company in SA.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah awta.

Fair enough we like the old hard-arse machoness, but modern day sport science has ensured the sport has well and truly passed that as a way of how to be a successful professional cricketer. You have to be smart about how you go about it.
Agree. Miss a few of the tougher tests :ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
So you basically want dumb macho decisions to be made during selection instead of decisions which favour the whole team and their chances of success.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Are you the physio? Are you aware of the level of the back up players that were available on each of the occassions? Are you sure people may well have felt in the management that it is better for them to play the fully fit back up batsman instead of an half fit Gambhir?