• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

what do you think of gambhir as a batsman?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah its ludicrous imo that people are doubting that. Digs in so often.

Had rotten luck this tour, and faced good quality bowling whilst injured. Rough.

Fair enough hate the bloke, but he's not a coward.
Correct.

I don't like him but to doubt his ticker after he batted at the Oval is a bit weird. The guy was concussed and should never have batted in the first place..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Benchy, before we go on, I got a lot of respect for your posting.. If you don't like Gambhir, fair enough.. lets leave it at that. If you got arguments that backs up that he doesn't have ticker, lets hear it. But lay off the snide remarks that no one (except me :p ) seems to care about... I am no mod but I don't think it is particularly useful posting, esp. from someone good as you.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Gambhir had a brilliant run a bit back and inflated his average, been dropping steadily for a while now. Can't see him getting it back over 50, bowlers may well have worked him out a bit.

Only averages 32.62 in his last 14 tests with 1 hundred so surely is close to being dropped as in this day and age of weak bowling attacks that is rank bad.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Gambhir had a brilliant run a bit back and inflated his average, been dropping steadily for a while now. Can't see him getting it back over 50, bowlers may well have worked him out a bit.

Only averages 32.62 in his last 14 tests with 1 hundred so surely is close to being dropped as in this day and age of weak bowling attacks that is rank bad.
not really sure of the "weak" attacks he faced. At least 3 of those tests, he was not fully fit as well...

Also had a monster run of form before this blip and averaging 32 while bad, is not really "rank".. So I think he will be fine once he is rested and fit. The real issue is that so many of our guys are just not fit enough and they still end up playing IPL and stuff either for the money or because the owners want them to play to ge tthe crowds in. Either way, our future looks depressingly bleak at least in the short term. We need someone strong to speak up for players and the fans and take a stand and ensure BCCI are on the right track. Unfortunately, someone like Sachin is not that strong and the guy who is (like Anil Kumble) will not be able to play the politics game with the likes of Pawar, esp. if Pawar and Co. can recruit Sachin along with the Gavaskars and Shastris of this world...

Last edited:

Spikey

still feel dirty for defending him for the concussion thing but dead set cricketweb was in the wrong there. He never should have batted let alone open/

flibbertyjibber

still feel dirty for defending him for the concussion thing but dead set cricketweb was in the wrong there. He never should have batted let alone open/
To be honest he got most of the stick as people thought he was throwing a sickie as he didn't fancy it. Became clear in 2nd innings more than the first that he was in serious trouble as he didn't look too bad in the first one.

Spikey

the amount of journalists who seem to have thought concussion = a small headache was stunning. said it at the time but him being allowed to bat summed up everything wrong this tour by India. Someone should have stood up and said "no" ala Langer in his 100th test

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
To be honest he got most of the stick as people thought he was throwing a sickie as he didn't fancy it. Became clear in 2nd innings more than the first that he was in serious trouble as he didn't look too bad in the first one.
That shows you he is pretty good as a batsman.. And I don't understand why he comes off as a dick to the opposition fans at all.. As far as I have seen, he only sledges back when he is being sledged at. Apart from that, he just minds his own business... Maybe he doesn't socialize and talk to a lot of the opposition but seriously find it hard to understand why he comes across that way...

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Lol, he was concussed. I know batsmen have helmets, but ask Justin Langer and Shivnarine Chanderpaul whether their helmets were any good when they've copped serious blows.

Allowing Gambhir to bat put his health seriously at risk. He should never have been allowed out to the middle, and if it was a management decision then whoever was responsible should have been sacked for endangering Gambhir further.