• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

what do you think of gambhir as a batsman?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
When those opinions are not backed up by facts, be prepared to hear the said opinion called on it... Just don't expect to make post after post based on nothing but bias and think people are not going to be irritated by it...
Going to remember this when the vitriol starts out here this summer if you cop a pasting. There is plenty to suggest these things other than bias when, as others have said, he nets for however long on a few days before a match and then doesn't play at all.

Fmd the way he batted those nets would have been a lot longer than his innings anyway.

Last edited:

Bun

Banned
Kumble was epic. We miss him sorely now. :( He and Zak combined would've meant a different scoreline in england (yeah with the batting being **** we'd have probably lost, still not humiliated). I mean Kumble of 06 not 08. Is it the morphine?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Going to remember this when the vitriol starts out here this summer if you cop a pasting. There is plenty to suggest these things other than bias when, as others have said, he nets for however long on a few days before a match and then doesn't play at all.

Fmd the way he batted those nets would have been a lot longer than his innings anyway.
Pretty funny that the person who most likely starts all the vitriol is talking about that..

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

And btw, can you link me to some sources about how long he did have nets for?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I was dodgy on Gambhir not either opening or batting at 3 in the second innings. It was days after what looked to me an innocuous bump on the head.

I posted about it on another forum and was told I was biased and whatever. But compare Gambhir's effort to that of Kumble in 2002.
Kumble bowls with a broken jaw | Specials | Cricinfo Magazine | ESPN Cricinfo
GG's concussion affected his vision. Kumble didn't bowl/bat a number of times because of injury.. I don't think he would have batted when he could not see properly at all...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
When those opinions are not backed up by facts, be prepared to hear the said opinion called on it... Just don't expect to make post after post based on nothing but bias and think people are not going to be irritated by it...
I'm be keen for you to point to anything I've said that isn't supported by a fact.

I'm genuinely surprised so many Indian fans are so willing to exonerate a player for missing games that, in all probabililty based on what's been reported, he could've played in. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but occasions where English players have put their bodies on the line for the cause are still celebrated now, whether it's Eddie Paynter hauling himself from a Brisbane hospital, Colin Cowdrey coming out to face Wes Hall with his broken arm in a sling or Close and Edrich battered balck and blue by Holding et al. It's the old "you might break our bodies but you'll never break our spirit" thing.

I just don't see it in Gambhir, sorry and all that.

flibbertyjibber

I'm be keen for you to point to anything I've said that isn't supported by a fact.

I'm genuinely surprised so many Indian fans are so willing to exonerate a player for missing games that, in all probabililty based on what's been reported, he could've played in. Maybe it's a cultural thing, but occasions where English players have put their bodies on the line for the cause are still celebrated now, whether it's Eddie Paynter hauling himself from a Brisbane hospital, Colin Cowdrey coming out to face Wes Hall with his broken arm in a sling or Close and Edrich battered balck and blue by Holding et al. It's the old "you might break our bodies but you'll never break our spirit" thing.

Then there is Malcolm Marshall batting one handed then destroying the England batting with a broken left hand. Doubt anyone around today would do what he did in that game.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

well.. I m too tired to go into specifics here but that particular post you have replied to was directed to Burgey...

asty80

School Boy/Girl Captain
Gambhir is really an odd case of success..He was prolific in the domestic competition but whenever he played for India, his technique seemed too loose. He would fish outside the offstump, not play any aggressive shots and basically looked like a 'Yuvraj in tests' kind of batsman without the booming hits.

I dont know when it changed but a huge part of his success was his opening partnership with Sehwag and the quick singles he would take to give Sehwag strike. A lot of such successes and suddenly, he seemed to become a more secure batsman, still with the tendency to fish, but in general, more confident. The big change for him seemed when he was able to bat long innings and get into the spinners. That period was his true 'great' period where he could toy with the spinner. Further confidence seems to have helped him to come out of his shell and be a possible Indian great.
Certainly a unique case, different from the traditional Indian batsman.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

Yep, all tremendous showings of courage. Add Gambhir coming out to face the best bowling attack in the world in a dead rubber whilst concussed to that list too.

Burgey

Gambhir is really an odd case of success..He was prolific in the domestic competition but whenever he played for India, his technique seemed too loose. He would fish outside the offstump, not play any aggressive shots and basically looked like a 'Yuvraj in tests' kind of batsman without the booming hits.

I dont know when it changed but a huge part of his success was his opening partnership with Sehwag and the quick singles he would take to give Sehwag strike. A lot of such successes and suddenly, he seemed to become a more secure batsman, still with the tendency to fish, but in general, more confident. The big change for him seemed when he was able to bat long innings and get into the spinners. That period was his true 'great' period where he could toy with the spinner. Further confidence seems to have helped him to come out of his shell and be a possible Indian great.
Certainly a unique case, different from the traditional Indian batsman.
It would be a dream to open with Sehwag when he's in and going. He scores so quickly you can pretty well play as you please.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Yep, all tremendous showings of courage. Add Gambhir coming out to face the best bowling attack in the world in a dead rubber whilst concussed to that list too.
Also noticed you added my post in your sig. :thumbsup: