• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vale Phillip Hughes

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'll always remember the excitement I had when he made his comeback to the crease against Sri Lanka in Hobart. Played two of the most gloriously belted cover drives I've had the pleasure to witness.

And some of the shots he recently played in that 200 against SA in the A series were just deliciously swashbuckling to say the least. Wish we got to see more of it.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Learned the sad news at breakfast. Told my son and he said it had to be a mistake because people die when they are old with grey hair and fake teeth. Gutted :(

Justo

U19 Debutant
I was devastated when I saw the news. Hughes was one of the few cricketers I followed religiously (when not in front of a computer if he was batting I'd be refreshing the Cricket scores on my phone hoping he was still going) and I've never had a non-personal death impact me like this.

RIP Phil Hughes. Always 63 not out.

Also feel for Sean Abbott and hope he isn't too hard on himself.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
In the morning, I woke up and checked up on him and was relieved to see he was still fighting on. Yesterday, I felt anxious that he was still in a critical condition. I was thinking today would be the day he either becomes 'safe' or I feared the worst. When in the morning the news came that his situation was still critical and Clarke had visited at 6 AM, I was scared but nothing prepared for the news of his death. I found myself checking up on information related to his well being every few minutes and on a regular basis over the last 48 hours. Reading tributes from people about what a good bloke he was makes it all the more sad. I wish Hughes had survived. So tragic.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I saw footage on the news of Abbott walking out of the hospital in tears........my heart broke for him. How on earth do you council or help someone in this position?

ajdude

International Coach
one of the articles on either the herald sun or the age website had about 5 or 6 photos of abbott out the front of the hospital. is there any need really? on another note i get that these articles are offering their condolences and thoughts to him but i get the sense he's sort of being told how to feel ("he will be feeling awful" "he won't want to bowl another ball again"). i think ensuring that he knows that he has the support around him is sufficient and otherwise he should be given space, i doubt he needs to be reminded every few minutes how he's feeling (or what he should be feeling).

BeeGee

International Captain
Devastating. Just ****ing devastating. My heart goes out to his family and friends, and also Abbott. I can't even imagine how he's feeling right now.

Last edited:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
one of the articles on either the herald sun or the age website had about 5 or 6 photos of abbott out the front of the hospital. is there any need really? on another note i get that these articles are offering their condolences and thoughts to him but i get the sense he's sort of being told how to feel ("he will be feeling awful" "he won't want to bowl another ball again"). i think ensuring that he knows that he has the support around him is sufficient and otherwise he should be given space, i doubt he needs to be reminded every few minutes how he's feeling (or what he should be feeling).
I got the sense you aren't sparing a thought for Sean Abbott. You should really spare a thought for Sean Abbott who must be feeling awful. He didn't ask for this, he was only doing his job, so you should spare a thought for Shaun Abbott.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Rest in peace Phil Hughes

This whole incident reminds me of Raman Lamba's death. That was 1998, 16 years ago. One reason I love cricket is because it always seems like a safe sport to me, with minimum physical contact. But these 2 accidents in my lifetime have been so damning! :(

Lamba refused to wear helmet while fielding close-in; but this one was in spite of the helmet! Freak accident

Last edited:

harsh.ag

I saw footage on the news of Abbott walking out of the hospital in tears........my heart broke for him. How on earth do you council or help someone in this position?
Reckon he needs to see a shrink right away imo. These things can escalate very quickly with any suppression. Plus I would suggest somewhere relaxing like Maldives. A shrink in Male then (Hopefully they have one).

Son Of Coco

Since Tuesday afternoon it seems like the whole cricketing community has been holding their breath hoping this wouldn't be the outcome. It's so incredibly sad to see a young man with so much talent taken too early by a freak accident like this. You never expect to see it happen on a cricket field, and I don't think anyone ever really thinks it will.

Thoughts are with his family, and friends. I hope Sean Abbott has all the support he needs, he's been put in a position no bowler ever wants to find themselves in and you just hope he realises there's no blame to be laid here.

Rest in Peace Phil Hughes. By all accounts you were an even better person than you were a cricketer, and that's an achievement everyone involved with you can be eternally proud of.

Johnners

I've opened this thread many times this afternoon/evening to post something, but I'm still unable to put how I feel into words.

Vale Phil Hughes

:(

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I am not saying people should agree with me and I would never want to get in the way of tributes and people expressing their feelings at a difficult time but it doesn't feel like a great time to be discussing this game which we all love. It feels appropriate to me if the forum closed for 24 hours and there was a place holder at cricketweb.net in memory of Phillip Hughes.