• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vale Phillip Hughes

anil1405

International Captain
I pray that such tragic incidents never ever happen again on a cricket field. Devastating feeling to hear about his demise.

RIP Phil.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dreadful news - dunno how the game got away without such a tragedy in pre-helmet days, but I never expected to be reading about something like this now - heart goes out to his family, and also to the poor bloke who bowled the delivery

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just feel sick. I feared the worst after that doctor was interviewed yesterday and mentioned the urgent surgery didn't stop the bleeding the way they hoped.

Obviously saddened for all his family and friends, fans from Australia and cricket fans worldwide, but nobody more so than Sean Abbott, this kid will struggle with guilt for the rest of his life & he really shouldn't, but how would you not.

Tragic tragic day for cricket and appropriate that they abandoned day 2 of the Pakistan/NZ test, not something I would want to watch today.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A truly sad part about the tragedy is that Hughes' potential was left unfulfilled. Just 25 and you look at his average and it is 32. He had put in the hard work and his best years were ahead of him. Just recently, he had notched up his highest FC score. A man who had the world ahead of him, a nice, lovable bloke dead.

An early death like this in tragic circumstances leaves me deeply saddened, as it does every one attached without our lovely game.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
So so sad. My heart trembled when I read the news this morning. I feel for his family, to lose your own so young and with so much potential for life and joy ahead of him. And not to forget the young man who delivered the ball, hopefully he has all the support around him right now.

There now needs to be some action taken with regards to helmets and their protection.

RIP

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
This is so utterly random and tragic. Out of the thousands of guys in modern cricket to be taken out by a quickie, he was the only one to never make it back onto field. Haven't been shaken by a high-profile death like this before.

RIP Phil Hughes.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Really sad and tragic news...He will be missed - not just by his own family who must be really in a dark place but the entire cricketing family that spans the globe in all corners..There is nothing good about this but the only positive thing i can think of is that at least he went doing something that he loved- not everyone gets that opportunity...Rest In Peace, may God bless your soul and give your family and friends strength in this awful time.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Really sad and tragic news...He will be missed - not just by his own family who must be really in a dark place but the entire cricketing family that spans the globe in all corners..There is nothing good about this but the only positive thing i can think of is that at least he went doing something that he loved- not everyone gets that opportunity...Rest In Peace, may God bless your soul and give your family and friends strength in this awful time.
Yeah I wanted to post a prayer as well - have said one privately for his family.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man
I've come into this thread a few times now, and tried more than once to express the incredible sadness I'm feeling right now. I'm gutted.

Phil Hughes made his international debut when I was about 17. The way he played the game immediately resonated with me and my best mate like few other cricketers ever have (and I grew up watching some great players). By that age you're meant to be past the stage of trying to emulate the pros and should have your own style. Nevertheless, both being left handers, we spent a good long time in the nets trying to copy that incredible technique. I can't tell you how many deliveries I bowled, thinking I'd found a good length and a bit of turn in towards off stick, only to see it flashing away through the off side. Imagine how the international bowlers felt against Hughes. To this day, my mate still bats a bit like The Prince. I don't see much of him anymore, but we messaged each other earlier in the year just to yarn about that double ton Hughes scored against South Africa A.

I don't think I even know what it was that drew us (and, clearly, many others) to him, and if I could then I'm sure it's been said better by others. He was just a special, special cricketer and bloke. It's amazing you can tell that a guy is a great dude off the field just from watching the way he bats.

The thing that really gets me is the loss of potential and the brutal unfairness of the whole ordeal. It's the third death this year that has absolutely crushed me. First it was Robin Williams, then Oscar Taveras (a baseball player for my favourite team), and now Hughes. All of them had made me happy, just through doing the things they loved. And all of them had so much more to offer.

I just read an old article written by Peter Roebuck following Hughes' second Test and was struck by these words:

Armed with a willow, though, he enters another world, becomes astute, bold, confident, tenacious and resilient.
I take solace knowing that wherever he is now, he'll still be that same bloke. Rest in peace mate, you'll always be a champion.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I've come into this thread a few times now, and tried more than once to express the incredible sadness I'm feeling right now. I'm gutted.

Phil Hughes made his international debut when I was about 17. The way he played the game immediately resonated with me and my best mate like few other cricketers ever have (and I grew up watching some great players). By that age you're meant to be past the stage of trying to emulate the pros and should have your own style. Nevertheless, both being left handers, we spent a good long time in the nets trying to copy that incredible technique. I can't tell you how many deliveries I bowled, thinking I'd found a good length and a bit of turn in towards off stick, only to see it flashing away through the off side. Imagine how the international bowlers felt against Hughes. To this day, my mate still bats a bit like The Prince. I don't see much of him anymore, but we messaged each other earlier in the year just to yarn about that double ton Hughes scored against South Africa A.

I don't think I even know what it was that drew us (and, clearly, many others) to him, and if I could then I'm sure it's been said better by others. He was just a special, special cricketer and bloke. It's amazing you can tell that a guy is a great dude off the field just from watching the way he bats.

The thing that really gets me is the loss of potential and the brutal unfairness of the whole ordeal. It's the third death this year that has absolutely crushed me. First it was Robin Williams, then Oscar Taveras (a baseball player for my favourite team), and now Hughes. All of them had made me happy, just through doing the things they loved. And all of them had so much more to offer.

I just read an old article written by Peter Roebuck following Hughes' second Test and was struck by these words:

I take solace knowing that wherever he is now, he'll still be that same bloke. Rest in peace mate, you'll always be a champion.
Great Post and love the quote.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Am also dumbstruck in Japan with noone to really talk to here about it.

Rest in peace. Thoughts to everyone involved. Probably the greatest tragedy the cricketing world has even known. And just a real horrible thing for anyone to die so young. How this didn't happen in pre-helmet days for over a century is a minor miracle.

Would it be apt for future South Australia-NSW matches to be for the Phil Hughes Memorial Trophy?

andmark

International Captain
Such a horrible day for the game particularly for it to have happened to someone so young.

RIP Phil Hughes

YorksLanka

International Debutant
I don't know what to say. I watched Michael Clarke man up and deliver the hardest speech he has ever delivered at a press conference and then he just left because he was spent at the end of it. We love you were the last words. And **** what else is there to say really - not we loved you in past tense but we love you right now even though you are dead.
Someone at his eulogy is going to point out the fact that he died doing what he loved. He was in the middle making poetry with his bat. He undoubtedly lived for cricket and he died doing what he was put on earth to do. I am so happy Dan and Cabinet you shared that you are a bit misty eyed because I am well past that. This is all too much.
I have to say, the fact that Clarke gave that statement on behalf of the family shows the character of the man- absolute legend..

kingkallis

International Coach
Sad. A lot of respect from the SAF players shows how good the bloke was.

RIP, Prince.

I feel sorry for Sean Abbott as well. Must be really tough for him too.