• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test match Records that will never be broken !!

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I will go back to my original point, though, that certain records are impossible to break.
If you mean the point about there never being another "first" of anything then of course you're right. You have to admit that as points go it's pretty naff.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
LOL at people thinking that someone who had a career spanning over 1000 years would average over 99.94* in Test Cricket.

* unless BCCI make a bizarre rule change.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
There's an undeniable link between Sachin lovers trying to bring Bradman down and this thread becoming a pile of ****ing ****

My suggestion, ban all Sachin lovers. Tough but fair imo. Anyone else in agreement?
CW without Jono? Count me in.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hasn't evolution built in a natural aging mechanism into cells so that it can do its stuff (telomeres which act as counters for the number of times the cell reproduces)? I'd imagine trying to circumvent it would have fairly catastrophic results..

vcs

As you mentioned, hard to do that when he just doesn't play enough (can't remember the last time SL toured outside the subcontinent). Not his fault, but it's what it is.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I still wonder if he (or any batsman for that matter) could keep up his output if he were playing a lot more, and didn't have the chance for long breaks between series.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Hasn't evolution built in a natural aging mechanism into cells so that it can do its stuff (telomeres which act as counters for the number of times the cell reproduces)? I'd imagine trying to circumvent it would have fairly catastrophic results..
You control the functioning of telomerases, and you control aging (and by extension, you find a straightforward cure for cancer).
It'll be done within the next 50 years.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
As you mentioned, hard to do that when he just doesn't play enough (can't remember the last time SL toured outside the subcontinent). Not his fault, but it's what it is.
West Indies 3 years ago - Ajantha Mendis made his international debut in the ODI series. Pretty sure West Indies won one of the ODIs with Chanderpaul scoring 10 runs off the last 2 balls when chasing, which was ****ing epic.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
West Indies 3 years ago - Ajantha Mendis made his international debut in the ODI series. Pretty sure West Indies won one of the ODIs with Chanderpaul scoring 10 runs off the last 2 balls when chasing, which was ****ing epic.
Yep, by one wicket too IIRC. Last ball went a yard over Jayawardene's head for 6 out at cow corner/deep midwicket.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
LOL at people thinking that someone who had a career spanning over 1000 years would average over 99.94* in Test Cricket.

* unless BCCI make a bizarre rule change.
That might be worth a LOL if anyone had come remotely close to suggesting it.

On the subject of that record though - it's abject nonsense to suggest that it can never be beaten. Test Cricket at 133 years old is in it's infancy. Bradman might have been a freak that only comes once in the life of a Universe, but on the other hand a "Bradman" might come along every 3,000 years or 1,000,000 years or whatever number you care to put on it. There's just no way of knowing.

Burgey

Ummm... TumTum, cells reproduce... not perfectly, obviously, but an individual cell doesn't need to live forever for the parent organism to.

Anyway this is a really strange topic to be discussing...
This thread being ample proof of that comment tbh.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That might be worth a LOL if anyone had come remotely close to suggesting it.

On the subject of that record though - it's abject nonsense to suggest that it can never be beaten. Test Cricket at 133 years old is in it's infancy. Bradman might have been a freak that only comes once in the life of a Universe, but on the other hand a "Bradman" might come along every 3,000 years or 1,000,000 years or whatever number you care to put on it. There's just no way of knowing.
Do you think Test cricket will survive another 2870 years?

shortpitched713

International Captain
Reading through the discussion on Bradman's "record" I see that meaningless pedantic arguments are still alive and well in Cricket Chat.

Never change CW, never change.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
There's an undeniable link between Sachin lovers trying to bring Bradman down and this thread becoming a pile of ****ing ****

My suggestion, ban all Sachin lovers. Tough but fair imo. Anyone else in agreement?
Definitely. Sachin - fanboyism is the only fanboyism that is evident in CW,.