• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test match Records that will never be broken !!

Spark

Global Moderator
Ummm... TumTum, cells reproduce... not perfectly, obviously, but an individual cell doesn't need to live forever for the parent organism to.

Anyway this is a really strange topic to be discussing...

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
1. There are cells that can live forever, but they tend to be simple things like algae or bacteria. Not human cells.

2. You are missing the point, even though there could be survivors from such an attack, the sport of cricket and it's major players wouldn't exist anymore. Hence a career of 1000 years is unachievable.
1. All Human cells with modification can live forever.

2. I'm not missing anything. If there was a global nuclear attack next week then of course cricket would stop. The Human Race would rebuild and cricket would restart - even if it took thousands or millions of years.

TumTum

Banned
Ummm... TumTum, cells reproduce... not perfectly, obviously, but an individual cell doesn't need to live forever for the parent organism to.

Anyway this is a really strange topic to be discussing...
They split but eventually die out.

Anyways yeah it is a strange discussion, but only because Lillian Thomson put it on the table and somebody had to point it out. Our age expectancies will always rise, but immortality is just a stupid suggestion. It also ignores other factors that can end life.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
They split but eventually die out.

Anyways yeah it is a strange discussion, but only because Lillian Thomson put it on the table and somebody had to point it out. Our age expectancies will always rise, but immortality is just a stupid suggestion. It also ignores other factors that can end life.
Somebody didn't have to point it out and as you're totally wrong you definitely shouldn't have bothered.

TumTum

Banned
1. All Human cells with modification can live forever.

2. I'm not missing anything. If there was a global nuclear attack next week then of course cricket would stop. The Human Race would rebuild and cricket would restart - even if it took thousands or millions of years.
1. "modification" being the key term, if they could do it.

2. I'm afraid you are again missing the point, a nuclear attack will kill and hence end the career of a person wishing to have a 1000 year career. I'm not talking about things merely surviving here.

Anyways this is kind of a stupid discussion.

smash84

The Tiger King

errr....NO..........I was just reading a book a few days back (by Neil Postman) in which the author had cited an academic work where about 150 children's games had been identified that used to be played up till the mid 19th century but now did not seem to be in existence.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's an undeniable link between Sachin lovers trying to bring Bradman down and this thread becoming a pile of ****ing ****

My suggestion, ban all Sachin lovers. Tough but fair imo. Anyone else in agreement?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
1. "modification" being the key term, if they could do it.

2. I'm afraid you are again missing the point, a nuclear attack will kill and hence end the career of a person wishing to have a 1000 year career. I'm not talking about things merely surviving here.

Anyways this is kind of a stupid discussion.
I'm not missing anything. The person who potentially breaks the record doesn't have to be born until thousands or millions of years after the attack.

TumTum

Banned
I'm not missing anything. The person who potentially breaks the record doesn't have to be born until thousands or millions of years after the attack.
Whilst there'll be more attacks after thousands or millions of years... Civilization has to always have wars in order to survive, in our current situation it might look all peaceful but in fact it is just another cold war.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Whilst there'll be more attacks after thousands or millions of years... Civilization has to always have wars in order to survive, in our current situation it might look all peaceful but in fact it is just another cold war.
Irrelevant waffle.

Which is your opinion...
Extending life beyond it's natural span isn't opinion, it's fact.

It might be opinion as to whether the Human Race would survive a global nuclear attack, but it's pure speculation to even suggest there'll ever be one.

TumTum

Banned
Irrelevant waffle.

Extending life beyond it's natural span isn't opinion, it's fact.

It might be opinion as to whether the Human Race would survive a global nuclear attack, but it's pure speculation to even suggest there'll ever be one.
How is it irrelevant? What you expect peace after such an attack?

A global nuclear attack isn't just a speculation but a dim reality. All the weaponry is available, it's up to only 1 idiot to change the world.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's rather silly to talk about records "never" being broken. The Sun has enough fuel to burn for another half a billion years. With medical advances likely to mean that dying of natural causes will be rare and drugs will be invented that will slow down or reverse the ageing process. Someone might have a Test Career spanning several hundred or even thousands of years.
Okay I shall rephrase my original point as it's taken the thread away from cricket. Most people grasped the original point but unfortunately not all.

Given the length of future time that lies ahead it's impossible to say that records will "never" be broken for a number reasons. The main one being the advancement of medical science will mean that in the future people will live longer and be at peak fitness for longer and will be able to sustain much longer careers.

TumTum

Banned
Okay I shall rephrase my original point as it's taken the thread away from cricket. Most people grasped the original point but unfortunately not all.

Given the length of future time that lies ahead it's impossible to say that records will "never" be broken for a number reasons. The main one being the advancement of medical science will mean that in the future people will live longer and be at peak fitness for longer and will be able to sustain much longer careers.
Ok I agree with all of that :) Let's agree to end this discussion now :p

Debris

International 12th Man

I will go back to my original point, though, that certain records are impossible to break.