• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Test match Records that will never be broken !!

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a little off topic and so may or may not be worth mentioning, but if Bradman's final innings at the Oval had actually been the start of a sequence of 50 consecutive ducks, he would still hold the record for the highest Test average of any player after a career of more than 120 innings.
While I have a degree of sympathy for Burgey's little outburst :ph34r: I have to say that this stat makes me smile

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It's rather silly to talk about records "never" being broken. The Sun has enough fuel to burn for another half a billion years. With medical advances likely to mean that dying of natural causes will be rare and drugs will be invented that will slow down or reverse the ageing process. Someone might have a Test Career spanning several hundred or even thousands of years.

TumTum

Banned
It's rather silly to talk about records "never" being broken. The Sun has enough fuel to burn for another half a billion years. With medical advances likely to mean that dying of natural causes will be rare and drugs will be invented that will slow down or reverse the ageing process. Someone might have a Test Career spanning several hundred or even thousands of years.
It's more silly to talk about living for thousands of years.

Howe_zat

Audio File
This....

This is the best post.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
More like five billion.

And if I live for thousands of years, I hope I find something more interesting than cricket to occupy my time - although a thousand year tenure of a PCB chairman could be hilarious.

TumTum

Banned
Even if somehow we did manage to live that long (which is bull**** because irrespective of how many organ transplants you have or pills you take, your body clock will still kill you), medical technology will not be able to save you from being incinerated by a Nuclear attack, which the terrorists you would think one day succeed.

/discussion

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Zimbabw = e.
:laugh:

FTR the reason people with a brain get defensive about Bradman is because he's that much better than everyone else that it's ******** to question it. He's a ****ing filthy crim, why would the English cite him as the best ever if we didn't have to? Not comparable to some of the Tendulkar fanboyisms at all.

TumTum

Banned
:laugh: Wtf is this, it doesn't even explain how he achieves to do this. First find a cure for cancer ffs, then find the way of stopping aging.

If you are a reasonably risk-aware teenager today in an affluent, non-violent neighbourhood, you have a risk of dying in the next year of well under one in 1,000, which means that if you stayed that way forever you would have a 50/50 chance of living to over 1,000.
So this is how they come up with the 1k figure? In other news, 53673^1=53673 where 53673 is a figure I plugged out of my ass, who'd have thunk it? :stupid:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Even if somehow we did manage to live that long (which is bull**** because irrespective of how many organ transplants you have or pills you take, your body clock will still kill you), medical technology will not be able to save you from being incinerated by a Nuclear attack, which the terrorists you would think one day succeed.

/discussion
Always find it a bit amusing when someone thinks their opinion is so great that there can be no comeback. And on the internet, no less.
It usually tends to be ill reasoned nonsense as well as is proven here. Any cell that is capable of life has the capability to live forever, and that includes the entire Human body.
It's also nonsense that the World will be destroyed by a nuclear attack. The reason the dinosaurs became extinct was that they lacked the intelligence to survive the event which killed them - the Human Race would have survived as they would survive a nuclear war.

Spark

Global Moderator
It usually tends to be ill reasoned nonsense as well as is proven here. Any cell that is capable of life has the capability to live forever, and that includes the entire Human body.
It's also nonsense that the World will be destroyed by a nuclear attack. The reason the dinosaurs became extinct was that they lacked the intelligence to survive the event which killed them - the Human Race would have survived as they would survive a nuclear war.
I know that this is in a different galaxy to the original topic, but: yes, the human race would survive, but would civilization? Depends on the scale of the nuclear war obviously. And I would contend that the human race would flourish best where we least expect it.

smash84

The Tiger King
:laugh: Wtf is this, it doesn't even explain how he achieves to do this. First find a cure for cancer ffs, then find the way of stopping aging.

So this is how they come up with the 1k figure? In other news, 53673^1=53673 where 53673 is a figure I plugged out of my ass, who'd have thunk it? :stupid:
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

The kind of event that wiped off the dinosaurs might as well wipe us off too. Especially if it happens right after a global nuclear war :p

TumTum

Banned
1. There are cells that can live forever, but they tend to be simple things like algae or bacteria. Not human cells.

2. You are missing the point, even though there could be survivors from such an attack, the sport of cricket and it's major players wouldn't exist anymore. Hence a career of 1000 years is unachievable.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I know that this is in a different galaxy to the original topic, but: yes, the human race would survive, but would civilization? Depends on the scale of the nuclear war obviously. And I would contend that the human race would flourish best where we least expect it.
It could take thousands of years to rebuild, but it would happen. Like you say that's nothing to do with the topic.

Considering such a wise cricketing sage as Richie Benaud said in 1965 that no one would ever again take 300 wickets in the history of Test Cricket when Fred Truman did it, and then Lance Gibbs did it within 10 years the word "never" should "never" be used.