• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL 2009

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So up for this now, looking at the schedule the idea of double-headers all the way through is a smart one from the viewpoint of getting decent sized attendances on weekends as fans would have more international "stars" to see at each day out.

Just hope the crowds stay reasonable during the middle part of the tournie, this isn't in India so too much meaningless cricket can actually be overkill for the locals.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I remember that the original argument from BCCI, when Twenty20s were first taking hold, was that there weren't enough advertising opportunities for them to make as much money as they do out of a 50 over game. Interesting that this comes in now, then.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't really see the problem, myself. Most ad breaks on Aus TV are around 4-5mins, this is just a bit longer. It should not be a surprise to anyone that commercial interests are paramount in T20. Go make a cup of coffee or something or, better yet, if you really don't like it, do as Goughy does and don't watch it. If they see a huge proportion of the population gets fed up with the 7.5min break and switches over to watch the soccer, they'll take notice.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't really see the problem, myself. Most ad breaks on Aus TV are around 4-5mins, this is just a bit longer. It should not be a surprise to anyone that commercial interests are paramount in T20. Go make a cup of coffee or something or, better yet, if you really don't like it, do as Goughy does and don't watch it. If they see a huge proportion of the population gets fed up with the 7.5min break and switches over to watch the soccer, they'll take notice.
I don't know if it will stop me watching it completely, but I don't like the idea at all. Especially such a long break. I thought the whole thing was brilliant last year and I was hoping they'd keep it that way.

Mind you, the whole thing is less attractive this year for various reasons. But luckily there's plenty of other cricket to watch on sky so I guess that's a good thing.

biased indian

International Coach
dont like the idea at all...if they wanted could have extened the mid inngs break by 10 minutes

and what about the people in stadium ..cheer leaders will have more work it seems

a 5 min break should be the maximum if they want it

Playing the race card? Hmmm.

Anyway, picked my Fantasy team:

Ryder
Jayasuriya
Smith
Hayden
Gibbs
Karthik
Symonds
Styris
Henderson
McGrath
Mishra
You are a ****ing idiot. Who used anything related to "race card"? All that guy was saying is that it is an Indian tournament and it is only logical that Indian players should be given due respect and not thrown out as and when needed.

Had it been county cricket, I can only think about the uprising in the media if so many English domestic guys were cut out from a team, instead a rule brought out saying teams are allowed to have upto 4 overseas players.

Redbacks

International Captain
^^ haha just like they did with the premier league :yawn:

You are confused between the standards expected of a franchise and a club with history and tradition.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, its hard for me to complain when Im not bothered about the games (more interested in the idea).

Maybe this type of ad break will not hurt their core demographic which, to be fair, isnt Anglo-American white guys in their early 30s living in Bulgaria. :)

I dont like it but then this isnt a tournament for me. Im not really qualified to say whether it is a bad idea or not.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
You are a ****ing idiot. Who used anything related to "race card"? All that guy was saying is that it is an Indian tournament and it is only logical that Indian players should be given due respect and not thrown out as and when needed.

Had it been county cricket, I can only think about the uprising in the media if so many English domestic guys were cut out from a team, instead a rule brought out saying teams are allowed to have upto 4 overseas players.
You can cut out the abuse, thanks.

In the end, he's really only being "cut" for another Indian player though, isn't he? Although I guess they could be dropping Kaif for an international batsman, and thus an international bowler will have to make way for an Indian bowler.

How many of the sides didn't play the maximum amount of internationals last year?

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
You can cut out the abuse, thanks.

In the end, he's really only being "cut" for another Indian player though, isn't he? Although I guess they could be dropping Kaif for an international batsman, and thus an international bowler will have to make way for an Indian bowler.

How many of the sides didn't play the maximum amount of internationals last year?
Just Rajasthan I think, in the first game or two when almost all their internationals were on duty for their country, and in one game later when they were already in the semis.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
This is interesting.

How does it save money to pay a guy $650 000 not to play?

Surely if cost saving was the aim then a lesser player would be dropped and greater value is from keeping Kaif.

Cant see how this makes sense on any level if he still get paid.
He still gets paid because his contract states that he should, irrespective of whether he stays in SA or is back in India. His price tag doesn't dictate how good a player he is or isn't. So if they're not going to play him at all, and he gets paid anyway, might as well save money on boarding and travelling by sending him back home.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
He still gets paid because his contract states that he should, irrespective of whether he stays in SA or is back in India. His price tag doesn't dictate how good a player he is or isn't. So if they're not going to play him at all, and he gets paid anyway, might as well save money on boarding and travelling by sending him back home.
I dont doubt you, but do you have a link to the details of the contract?

Im interested in reading it.