• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL 2009

James

Cricket Web Owner
Thought it was about time we had an official thread for the IPL :)

Does know what's happening with the schedule?

ret

International Debutant
i support the teams from west - Jaipur and Mumbai

with Delhi being a close third

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
More from the home office minister who seems to imply calling off the IPL should happen. I'm fairly ignorant of the current situation in India, but I didn't think it was that bad that the police couldn't cope with holding an election and a sports event at the same time.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
More from the home office minister who seems to imply calling off the IPL should happen. I'm fairly ignorant of the current situation in India, but I didn't think it was that bad that the police couldn't cope with holding an election and a sports event at the same time.
I think it's more that in the aftermath of the attacks on Mumbai, the attacks on the Sri Lankan team and just the general situation in Pakistan that they're unwilling to take any risks and don't have the resources to provide what would be seen as an appropriate level of security for both key people involved in the election and for the cricketers playing in the IPL.

There would be an outcry if, say, the Rajasthan Royals (using them as the example because there was a bomb blast in Jaipur during last season's IPL) had their security downgraded because they needed to divert resources to provide security for someone involved with the elction in Rajasthan, and something was to happen to the Royals team.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
It's common sense. This is a democracy, and elections are far more important than a cricket tournament aimed at brand promotion. There's no point negotiating- they have to look at alternate dates.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
It's common sense. This is a democracy, and elections are far more important than a cricket tournament aimed at brand promotion. There's no point negotiating- they have to look at alternate dates.
True, I was just surprised they couldn't find a way to do both. I presume they will just cancel and play again next year, I don't think there can be much of a gap to rearrange to. I wonder if the teams are insured against cancellation as I guess it will cost them many millions.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it's more that in the aftermath of the attacks on Mumbai, the attacks on the Sri Lankan team and just the general situation in Pakistan that they're unwilling to take any risks and don't have the resources to provide what would be seen as an appropriate level of security for both key people involved in the election and for the cricketers playing in the IPL.

There would be an outcry if, say, the Rajasthan Royals (using them as the example because there was a bomb blast in Jaipur during last season's IPL) had their security downgraded because they needed to divert resources to provide security for someone involved with the elction in Rajasthan, and something was to happen to the Royals team.
Yeah, makes sense. It's very worrying for the future of sport in the subcontinent at the moment.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I dont think it is wise to have both Elections and IPL at the same time. Elections are a volatile time with almost all political parties willing to exploit and in some cases even willing to encourage communalism, hatred and violence in order to secure some more seats in the election.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I dont think it is wise to have both Elections and IPL at the same time. Elections are a volatile time with almost all political parties willing to exploit and in some cases even willing to encourage communalism, hatred and violence in order to secure some more seats in the election.
Yeah, I don't really know anything about the situation. I guess I just assumed they could manage to avoid things using the scheduling. Even if they do go ahead, I'd be worried to go there now if I was an overseas player, given the government has basically said it's not safe.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
I have a sneaking feeling that we'll the IPL somehow, I can't see the Indian government really being willing to put a stop to it, security concerns or not.