• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** IPL 2009

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Who?

For an event that originally was based on seeing all the stars together, there are a lot of no-name Aussies playing that wouldnt get a gig in CC.
Probably the reason for the strong Australian contingent is that a lot of the coaches/support staff in the IPL are Australian. Punjab’s coach is Tom Moody, who coaches Western Australian, so presumably he knows of ****ley and the fact that he isn’t an international means he is available for the whole tournament. The success of Shaun Marsh last year, additionally may have swayed franchises to look for unpolished/un-capped diamonds.

Apparently, ****ley has real pace, so it will be interesting to see how he fares in the IPL and 20/20 cricket.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I thought the break after 10 overs was greed overkill too, but they've clarified that this means matches will now last 3 and a quarter hours now, with a $20,000 fine on the captain for a first time offence if they're slow. The games last season regularly stretched to 3 and a half hours with negligible $100 fines.
A good thing IMO.

Fine with some teeth finally. But $220,000 fine to the whole team on second try - which sucks for guys making $12,000 for the whole tournament.....

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
News just in- actually this morning- SRK has declared that McCullum will captain KKR for the first few matches, replacing Ganguly. Not surprisingly, that's generated a lot of heat on television channels and also on the streets of Kolkata.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Mine is in too, guess at the name.

So starting soon, sort of excited. I want to see a couple of fast bowlers from Rajasthan. Don't expect Atul Sharma to be anywhere near the playing squad.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Off Topic but I am watching the India vs. Australia women's match, and the Indian Women field miles better than the India men. The committment is better, and the ability is better. It's surprising but it's definitely a much superior unit from what I'm seeing right now. Some great saves, one hand pick up and throws - it's actually very good.

Shri

Mr. Glass
With Shaun Tait pulling out, the slot of the premier fast bowler will most likely go to Morne Morkel.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Have to say, I'm pretty amped for the IPL. There's a few things that annoy me about it, but at the end of the day it's cricket being played by the world's best. Bring it on.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
News just in- actually this morning- SRK has declared that McCullum will captain KKR for the first few matches, replacing Ganguly. Not surprisingly, that's generated a lot of heat on television channels and also on the streets of Kolkata.
Ganguly doesn't sound too pleased, either.
Ganguly said he was "okay" with the decision. "I'll play as an ordinary player and support McCullum in whatever way I can," he told the Kolkata-based Telegraph. "Shah Rukh has spoken to me and he's given Buchanan everything he wanted, including the captain, and stated that there could now be no excuse for not performing."

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
McCullum :-

“I’m happy with my promotion... Yeah, I was hoping I’d get the captaincy and I got the news yesterday (Thursday)... I’ve spoken to Sourav Ganguly and I’ll be using his experience as much as I can... He’s fine... He’s taken it well... We’ve got a challenge ahead of us and, now, it’s a question of the team delivering...”

It is a good decision, IMO.

pasag

RTDAS
Two favourite sides going up against each other tonight, hopefully Bangalore will be able to get an early win under their belt. Looking forward to Smith getting some chin music from Steyn.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Who?

For an event that originally was based on seeing all the stars together, there are a lot of no-name Aussies playing that wouldnt get a gig in CC.
Crockley would walk into most county sides on pace alone, if he was a local. Though it was a surprising pick up, considering he not always the most accurate bowler. Has improved a lot in that aspect of the game. I think you will find Moody just trying to recuit him to WA, I doubt he will play many matches.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Some sort of controversy over Cricket Australia telling Tait he's not allowed to play IPL.

Seems fair enough if he's not fit enough, he's had the support of a contract from them through all his troubles.
Would be asking for compo if I was Tait. Half a million a lot to loose considering he might not be around forever. Especially considering he actually is fit enough to play. It just they don't want him to play, incase of another injury.