• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Domestic Season 2015

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yorkshire have got an absolute steal here. 300 behind on with 4 wickets down suddenly becomes 300 to win, oh and you can have all your top order back

Sale of the friggin century.

Why would Hants be so desperate for a win? Wouldn't draw points help them survive?

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
From the Somerset facebook page:

"Very interesting here at Hove with a debate going on as to whether Somerset will be allowed to declare at 400, denying Sussex bowling points
Apparently there may be a rule against declaring simply to deny an opposition points. Any thoughts?"

How the **** can that be enforced if Hampshire just forfeited an entire innings to screw with the points system in an attempt to avoid relegation?

Howe_zat

Audio File

"Very interesting here at Hove with a debate going on as to whether Somerset will be allowed to declare at 400, denying Sussex bowling points
Apparently there may be a rule against declaring simply to deny an opposition points. Any thoughts?"

How the **** can that be enforced if Hampshire just forfeited an entire innings to screw with the points system in an attempt to avoid relegation?
Hants cost themselves both 1st innings bowling points (you get no bonus points in the 2nd innings) and points for the draw in order to go for the win. Bull-headed but completely fair.

Declaring your first innings with the sole intention of denying a side bonus points is a very different form of taking the piss.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain

Well for a start it was Yorkshire who declared not allowing Hampshire to pick up bonus points. Hampshire forfeiting a second innings had no influence on bonus points.

Hampshire and Yorkshire were trying to win the game

Somerset would be denying the opposition the chance to pick up bonus points with no chance of winning.

In the crudest case it's to make sure a team won't declare on 0-0 on the first day of a game to deny the oppostion the chance of bonus points- which is a fair enough rule if you ask me.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Hampshire and Yorkshire were trying to win the game.
I think this is the point. As I understand it, if there is a declaration which isn't for the purpose of trying to win the game, then bonus points might not be awarded. I'm not sure of the exact rule or the exact process. But according to the online commentaries I've been listening to, it seems that the umpires can be consulted in advance and can give an indicative view as to whether the declaration is kosher or not. Hence Somerset and Sussex players have been speaking to the umps there.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Hmm, odds on Hameed and one or both of the Currans playing for England together? Probably fairly short.

Tom putting in a real shift during this game with no Ansari.

Nick Browne the first essex bat since 2008 to reach 1000 runs in the championship. Fairly amazing stat.

Last edited:

Watson33

U19 12th Man
Relegation confirmed for Worcs. Hard to take but saw it happening from middle of the season. Ajmal's wickets weren't replaced and the side lacked a quality seasoned batsmen. Expect them to come back up next year. Clarke, Fell, Leach, Morris etc... should be a very good squad in that division.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Relegation confirmed for Worcs. Hard to take but saw it happening from middle of the season. Ajmal's wickets weren't replaced and the side lacked a quality seasoned batsmen. Expect them to come back up next year. Clarke, Fell, Leach, Morris etc... should be a very good squad in that division.
Swap with Lanky I expect

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Brian Luckhurst
Bob Woolmer
Mike Denness
Asif Iqbal
John Shepherd
Alan Ealham
Alan Knott
Bernard Julian
Graham Dilley
Derek Underwood
Kevin Jarvis

Just reminding myself that Kent used to win trophies.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well that was stupid from Hants. Sure you can see why they did it but a draw with maximum bonus points would really not have been a bad result. Probably down now but have at least shown some decent form over the last few games, should be fairly confident of going back up next year.

Watson33

U19 12th Man
Probably.

Says a lot about the state of the divisions that a side who comes up is in an instant relegation battle yet when they go down they can walk it back up.

Not a dig at your lot by the way.
Gap between the top sides and the rest of the pack will only get bigger if 'big' teams come in an swoop up all the talent from 'smaller' teams. Sad but I can see a premier league-esque 'big 4' developing and it being the same sides challenging for the title year after year.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Good recovery by Dent and Roderick, even if they're both lucky to still be there.
At least this September final doesn't look like being decided in the first hour.