• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal claims special concession to 15 degree rule allowed by ICC

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
What really gets to me, was why was Johan Botha taken out of action for a year for a dodgy action when this is just ridiculous

Garson007

State Vice-Captain
Bent arm =/= throwing, people. It's about the straightening. Looks like we never left square one on this matter.
His arm looked pretty straight when he released the delivery; I'm fully aware that it's got to do with straightening.

I'm also very willing to accept that it's just an optical illusion.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
His arm looked pretty straight when he released the delivery; I'm fully aware that it's got to do with straightening.

I'm also very willing to accept that it's just an optical illusion.
A boundry fielder also straightens his arm when he throws, I mean try to see how far a ball can be thrown keeping ur arm bent. The action from bent to straight causes a slinging force, much like the slinging force Ajmal uses to create the momentum to leg spin the ball.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There is no doubt that when he first came on to the scene that Botha's action was as terrible as they come.

I have not seen Ajmal bowl in this series so I have no idea if there is improvement. I remember there being a clip on YouTube of his 5 for 40 odd in an ODI against England and the first was fine, the second was "hmm, but prob OK" and the third was "holy ****, what the **** was that?"

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
How far away is the technology to bowl in match conditions with the flexion tracker? The whole question of bend and hyper extension isn't going to go away at any level - heck, even at local league and county rep level it's a talking point; there's one boy in my current squad whose action looks dodgy to the eye but can straighten his arm to about 20 degrees beyond horizontal...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
How far away is the technology to bowl in match conditions with the flexion tracker? The whole question of bend and hyper extension isn't going to go away at any level - heck, even at local league and county rep level it's a talking point; there's one boy in my current squad whose action looks dodgy to the eye but can straighten his arm to about 20 degrees beyond horizontal...
There is no universal agreement on UDRS so the chances of this type of technology (even if it exists) being introduced are virtually zero

social

There is no doubt that when he first came on to the scene that Botha's action was as terrible as they come.

I have not seen Ajmal bowl in this series so I have no idea if there is improvement. I remember there being a clip on YouTube of his 5 for 40 odd in an ODI against England and the first was fine, the second was "hmm, but prob OK" and the third was "holy ****, what the **** was that?"
I went to a Pakistan game in the UAE last year, saw Ajmal bowl for a while and wondered what the fuss was about

Then the match got close, he bowled a doosra and it was definitely a case of "holy ****, what the **** was that?"

Unfortunately (depending on your perspective, of course), the ICC has made their bed on the issue of throwing and I dont believe that we'll see anything more than wrist slaps for the foreseeable future

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Love when this is only an issue when he does well. I remember when India started whining about Akhtar in the middle of a series, after they lost.

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
My argument is that its obvious, and if they allow Ajmal to bowl like this then everyone should. Just seems like Ajmal is only getting away with it cause he managed to fool the people at the icc, but in match situation his doosra is no ways on earth 15 degrees. If we allow this EVERYONE should be allowed to throw, I mean bowl like this.

grecian

Let me guess. Ajmal picked a bucketful of wickets in the ongoing game?
Blimey, you don't follow cricket much if you only realised that from these posts rather than cricinfo, which was available for a good while before your incredibly perceptive post

Love when this is only an issue when he does well. I remember when India started whining about Akhtar in the middle of a series, after they lost.
Oh c'mon SS you're better than that, people have been wondering of why a 30 plus spinner has gone from average to the best spinner in the world for a while now, and his doosra looks even uglier than normal in this match.

:laugh: clearly this is how you construct most arguments, so I'm going to go with it:laugh:

Pothas

Nah you don't understand, apparently if you don't bring it up EVERY time you see him bowl the any questioning is invalid.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah you don't understand, apparently if you don't bring it up EVERY time you see him bowl the any questioning is invalid.
If you only bring it up every time he bowls well, then it doesn't really seem like you're just questioning his action. More wanting an excuse for him to be kicked out because he's doing so well against a team you support..

grecian

If you only bring it up every time he bowls well, then it doesn't really seem like you're just questioning his action. More wanting an excuse for him to be kicked out because he's doing so well against a team you support..

Yeah, me and Pothas love them there Saffies.......

dhillon28

U19 Debutant
Yeah, me and Pothas love them there Saffies.......
either that, or you're still upset about the beating Ajmal handed to England in UAE. And also loving an English cricketer and a "saffie" cricketer often equates to the same thing these days.

grecian

either that, or you're still upset about the beating Ajmal handed to England in UAE. And also loving an English cricketer and a "saffie" cricketer often equates to the same thing these days.
Yeah, I love KP on record for it, it's such a beautiful post about not arguing the actual point.

I hate Williamson's action for the record, just in case the Kiwis beat us, because obviously we can't mention actions afterl they beat us. Of course it would be silly to suggest that Ajmal has only come good in his latter years, with his new action.