• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ajmal claims special concession to 15 degree rule allowed by ICC

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Coming around the wicket to a right hander and bowling a doosra seems to me like something that would be very, very difficult to do legally.

Not saying it's impossible, just that there are certain scenarios in which a bowler may be more likely to be less rigid with his action.

That's why there needs to be some goal towards live match technology.
I find it much easier in that fashion when I "bowl" one.

You're trying to get your wrist right around the ball, so your elbow ends up more inward than a stock delivery. It makes the ball harder to push out in a straight line, but easier to pull across your body. Just like what you do from around the wicket to a right hander.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah so, ultimately you don't give a **** about the actual cheating just the effectiveness of it. So, you don't care if a guy was literally pitching like a baseballer if he kept missing the stumps?
It's not that I think it should be allowed but that the impact of it is minimal.

I don't dwell on officiating ****ups if my team wins in spite of them, I sulk about them for weeks when one costs us the game.

DriveClub

International Regular
The way people still going on about it you'd think it's 1990s again, it's been 2 decades already, just buckle up and get on with the game. Expect the whining poms to start whinging again, 3-0 was a long time ago.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can we at least agree that

1) his action looks ugly and dodgy as ****
2) we don't really know the process behind analyzing his action so saying the results are all wrong and he's chucking because i can see it is really a poor argument.
3) he's probably bowling within the legal limit (unless he'svsome sort of scheming mastermind that alters his action by a few degrees during lab tests) but this legal limit should be changed (what uv wants iirc)
4) ajmal > swann
5) amla is now an atg

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I find it much easier in that fashion when I "bowl" one.

You're trying to get your wrist right around the ball, so your elbow ends up more inward than a stock delivery. It makes the ball harder to push out in a straight line, but easier to pull across your body. Just like what you do from around the wicket to a right hander.
Interesting. I've only tried it a few times but it's more an issue of getting the shoulder to come round for me.

2) we don't really know the process behind analyzing his action so saying the results are all wrong and he's chucking because i can see it is really a poor argument.
3) he's probably bowling within the legal limit (unless he'svsome sort of scheming mastermind that alters his action by a few degrees during lab tests) but this legal limit should be changed (what uv wants iirc)
4) ajmal > swann
5) amla is now an atg
Don't completely agree with 1, but definitely disagree with 3.

15 degrees is fine by me but it's the italics part that we have no means of testing. That's the issue. Bowling in a lab simply does not mean you're going to bowl that way on the field.

uvelocity

International Coach
not the limit. the idea that a degree of simple straightening constitutes a chuck

for instance i can roll my arm over quite easily with a very low degree of bend change with a chucking action. i can also roll my arm over with a greater than 15 degree change in bend (hint: straighten the elbow slowly) and it's no chuck

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting. I've only tried it a few times but it's more an issue of getting the shoulder to come round for me.

Don't completely agree with 1, but definitely disagree with 3.

15 degrees is fine by me but it's the italics part that we have no means of testing. That's the issue. Bowling in a lab simply does not mean you're going to bowl that way on the field.
Just sounds slightly too conspiracy theoryish for me. Glad you agree with 4 & 5 though.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

4) ajmal > swann
5) amla is now an atg
4 is definitely true. Is he an atg already though?

Edit: oh Amla lol. Thought you said Ajmal

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Definitely do not agree with 3).

The very fact his action sometimes looks worse than others suggests he puts more elbow into some deliveries so, when he's aware he's being observed, he's likely to put as little in as possible.

Hawthorne effect and all that.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nope. If you were referring to the 2006 series, there were reports that India made a complaint after the second test in Faisalabad (Shoaib went for 1/100), which were later denied. Chappell's comments happened after India's first innings at Karachi had completed in which Shoaib picked 2/70. India did go on to lose that test but Shoaib had little role to play in it.
Chappell ignites Shoaib action debate | Cricket News | India in Pakistan | ESPN Cricinfo

There is something seriously different about it [Shoaib's action]," Reuters has quoted Chappell as saying to India's 24-hour television channel Times Now. His comments came after Sachin Tendulkar and Anil Kumble were hit on the helmet by rising Shoaib deliveries in the ongoing third and final Test at Karachi. Chappell added that India could do without its players being hit like that.

Last edited:

shankar

International Debutant
So you're agreeing with me that his comments had nothing to do with the match result? Sachin and Kumble were hit during the first inning and Chappell made the comments after that. He's not even talking about wicket-taking deliveries!

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That'd be Chappell and not India. Apart from a few ordinary fans and such, I honestly don't remember any Indian associated with top level cricket (captain, player, manager, selector etc) complaining about Akhtar's action.
Do you expect the issue to come up at the ballot box in an election? He was India's coach - if he says it, it's coming from the Indian camp.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Do you expect the issue to come up at the ballot box in an election? He was India's coach - if he says it, it's coming from the Indian camp.
You said Indians.
(1) I don't know of another individual that brought it up.
(2) While Chappell was representing India, he doesn't typify "Indians".

Not saying that Indians don't whine but in this case facts don't back what you are saying.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
That simply isn't true.

The last time Ajmal was tested their was no extant technology that allowed the revolutions of a ball to even be measured in a laboratory, never mind from 27 frame per second TV footage.

I'd also direct people to a previous post of mine, quoting Dave Richardson:
Measuring revs is a matter or sitting there and manually counting, also cameras at sporting events tend to be run at 60 fps. The final broadcast may be lower but they can still use the full 60 undoubtedly.