• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Trent Bridge

Himannv

International Coach
He's barely played there so it's somewhat inconclusive.
The times he has played, he's looked a bit ordinary. Relies far too much on conditions to be ranked too highly I reckon. I do like his bowling a lot more than Zaheer but in all honesty Zaheer is probably the better of the two.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Raina's dismissal was so reminiscent of Andrew Hilditch holing out in 1985. His first innings reminiscent of Michael Bevan's various problems in 1997.

Piss funny.
Yes, I thought of Benaud's rant on youtube about Hilditch as soon as it happened.:laugh:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
The times he has played, he's looked a bit ordinary. Relies far too much on conditions to be ranked too highly I reckon. I do like his bowling a lot more than Zaheer but in all honesty Zaheer is probably the better of the two.
His record in India is pretty decent, his record in Sri Lanka is abysmal. Regardless he hasn't played in the SC in 3 years and most people would acknowledge he is not the same bowler he was then. Will be interesting to see how he goes this winter, SL will probably still be a struggle for him.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
didn't watch the indian innings. seems like a pathetic show against some excellent bowling. out of curiosity, how did tendulkar bat? any encouraging signs for the rest of the series?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
didn't watch the indian innings. seems like a pathetic show against some excellent bowling. out of curiosity, how did tendulkar bat? any encouraging signs for the rest of the series?
Yes, quite. Was looking to play shots and did play some good ones. Confident foot movement etc.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well enough, but I still don't see him scoring plenty of runs whilst Anderson and Broad are bowling like they are. He didn't look set on for a hundred and the method of his dismissal was exactly how I expected - work him across the crease continually with outswing, hoping to nick him off or at least get him across his stumps, then move one back in. Bang, LBW. Happened three times now (twice given), once nicked. The problem is that they both can do it, both natural outswing bowlers who have the ability to jag it back sharply off the seam. Anderson has more control of his movement and more "zip". Broad's height is clearly messing a bit with his footwork.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Well enough, but I still don't see him scoring plenty of runs whilst Anderson and Broad are bowling like they are. He didn't look set on for a hundred and the method of his dismissal was exactly how I expected - work him across the crease continually with outswing, hoping to nick him off or at least get him across his stumps, then move one back in. Bang, LBW. Happened three times now (twice given), once nicked. The problem is that they both can do it, both natural outswing bowlers who have the ability to jag it back sharply off the seam. Anderson has more control of his movement and more "zip". Broad's height is clearly messing a bit with his footwork.
right on the money. to add to that, they occassionally change their angle too by going wider of the crease.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have been busy catching up on the reading of this thread, but would like to add my congratulations to England supporters. The English team is extremely consistent at the moment, especially the bowling unit, and they thoroughly deserve to be no.1

There's no way India are up for winning one of the next two tests unless England steps off the throttle or, somehow, India's bowlers discover their consistency again. Kumar will have to take two bags of 10, given their current efforts, to get India anywhere near England.

It's nice to say there's still a contest and all that if you're one of the two team's supporters...but there's clearly not going to be one unless India suddenly step up. After watching Australia's attack perform in similar fashion for a good couple of years I can't see it happening. This sort of inconsistency from an attack just bleeds too many runs.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Have been busy catching up on the reading of this thread, but would like to add my congratulations to England supporters. The English team is extremely consistent at the moment, especially the bowling unit, and they thoroughly deserve to be no.1

There's no way India are up for winning one of the next two tests unless England steps off the throttle or, somehow, India's bowlers discover their consistency again. Kumar will have to take two bags of 10, given their current efforts, to get India anywhere near England.

It's nice to say there's still a contest and all that if you're one of the two team's supporters...but there's clearly not going to be one unless India suddenly step up. After watching Australia's attack perform in similar fashion for a good couple of years I can't see it happening. This sort of inconsistency from an attack just bleeds too many runs.
To be fair to India, they've basically been reduced to 3 bowlers for 90% of both tests plus they're missing Sehwag, Gambhir, etc

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
To be fair to India, they've basically been reduced to 3 bowlers for 90% of both tests plus they're missing Sehwag, Gambhir, etc
To be fair to England, they have lost the toss twice and batted in extreme technique and luck testing conditions. To win both Tests so easily after being put in twice in such disadvantageous positions is incredible.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year

Agree.
The English attack, by contrast, don't give an inch to the batsmen. (They relentlessly work over each batsman)
Their accuracy reminded me of McGrath tbh.
They barely bowled any ordinary deliveries and therefore built enormous pressure. They were simply bowling at an ATG level. Hats off!

A batsman needs good bit of fortune, immense determination, a lot of patience and high level of skill to get through them ATM, given the form these bowlers are in.

Hopefully, Sehwag will go after them and ruin their rhythm.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
To be fair to England, they have lost the toss twice and batted in extreme technique and luck testing conditions. To win both Tests so easily after being put in twice in such disadvantageous positions is incredible.
but then india have had to bat last...
on a deteriorated pitch (plus the scoreboard pressure)