• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Trent Bridge

Himannv

International Coach
Well played England. Can see them getting complacent in the next test though. India will come back strong (I did say that at the end of the first test as well but hasn't really worked out that way).

LJMJ

U19 12th Man
Just about the most embarrassing loss in recent Indian history. Only one that compares is getting dominated by Pakistan in '06 after India had 'em down 6 wickets with less than 30 runs on the board.

India badly needs to be at full strength to compete with this terrific England team. Zaheer + a dominant opening pair in Sehwag/Gambhir are basically the 2 biggest reasons why this team ascended to the top over the last 2 years. Without them, the lack of a true strike bowler and the middle order's inability to handle poor starts gets exposed. Hopefully, Sehwag, Gambhir and Zaheer return for Test 3. I still have faith in India's ability to make this a series IF those 3 can return.

For now though, all credit to England for 2 incredible performances. India have been completely outclassed.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just thought I'd point out that this is the biggest victory ever achieved by a side who's conceded a first innings lead.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Sourav Ganguly would like to have achieved 5% of what Dhoni has.
Ganguly turned India from a side that could barely win a Test overseas to a side that went toe to toe with the best side in the world and captained India to a World Cup final in South Africa.

On paper Dhoni has a massive edge on Ganguly in terms of achievements but I don't think Dhoni would have been able to achieve what he has as captain without Ganguly putting in the ground work in the early 2000s.

It's probably just me wanting to make sure that players with incredible achievements get the acknowledgement they deserve, it's one of the reasons I'll always vote Dravid over Tendulkar (that particular quirk is part me looking for a reaction, part wanting to acknowledge how ****ing awesome Dravid is and part because for a significant part of their careers I'd actually put Dravid ahead of Tendulkar anyway). I'm also a big believer in acknowledging people who have put in the ground work for others to reap the rewards. For the same reasons I'd certainly have Hussein level with, if not in front of, Vaughan as England captain.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ganguly turned India from a side that could barely win a Test overseas to a side that went toe to toe with the best side in the world and captained India to a World Cup final in South Africa.

On paper Dhoni has a massive edge on Ganguly in terms of achievements but I don't think Dhoni would have been able to achieve what he has as captain without Ganguly putting in the ground work in the early 2000s.

It's probably just me wanting to make sure that players with incredible achievements get the acknowledgement they deserve, it's one of the reasons I'll always vote Dravid over Tendulkar (that particular quirk is part me looking for a reaction, part wanting to acknowledge how ****ing awesome Dravid is and part because for a significant part of their careers I'd actually put Dravid ahead of Tendulkar anyway). I'm also a big believer in acknowledging people who have put in the ground work for others to reap the rewards. For the same reasons I'd certainly have Hussein level with, if not in front of, Vaughan as England captain.
haha, I remember exactly the same arguments happening when Mark Taylor's side won in the WI in '95. "Wouldn't be anywhere without AB!" Whether true or not, it's funny to see it pop up again.

My pre-series prediction of no Test wins for India still well on track. Was good to see Bresnan do well too, definitely proven to be a better option than Finn would have been, as I and many others said pre-match.

Last edited:

Burgey

All this 'India are a crap number 1 side' crap needs to stop. They've not lost a Test at home for ages (on their current unbeaten run they've lost 1 to South Africa), have won 2 out of 3 series outside the subcontinent and had only lost 1 of their last 11 Tests outside the subcontinent before this series. India were clear and deserved number 1 going into this series. They've just had the misfortune of running into an England side massively on the ascendancy in their own conditions.
Piffle. They've one bowler (Zaheer) and a strong batting line up. You can't maintain the number one ranking being so reliant on any one bowler.

Still, at least they got there, which is to their credit.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Anyone see Zaheer running through his paces on the ground after close of play? Either that red top he was wearing was very unflattering or he's still carrying excess baggage round the midrift.

I bow to no-one in my admiration for him, but was shocking to see.

No co-incidence that the new slim-line Bresnan seems to have gained a yard either. Credited the hard yards in the gym with his ability to bowl quicker for longer in his interview with Ward after the game.

S'not rocket surgery, is it?

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Impressed by England, I must say. Watching Bresnan and Broad bat in that first session - even though there were more than a few pies on offer at the Indian buffet - was pretty impressive. They definitely do seem to have a well balanced unit, with some semblance of depth. Probably for the first time in my lifetime.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Just read that was the seventh time Jimmy has taken Tendy's wicket.

Pretty immense for a well-established bowler hah.

Burgey

Anyone see Zaheer running through his paces on the ground after close of play? Either that red top he was wearing was very unflattering or he's still carrying excess baggage round the midrift.

I bow to no-one in my admiration for him, but was shocking to see.

No co-incidence that the new slim-line Bresnan seems to have gained a yard either. Credited the hard yards in the gym with his ability to bowl quicker for longer in his interview with Ward after the game.

S'not rocket surgery, is it?
Loving that an Englishman quotes Benny Elias...

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Just read that was the seventh time Jimmy has taken Tendy's wicket.

Pretty immense for a well-established bowler hah.
tendulkar's anderson's bunny no doubt about it.
even when sachin looks really good against him, he still finds a way of dimissing sachin. too smart too good for chokedulkar

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Watching Raina, Waterboy and Dhoni was actually hilarious. So was Tendulkars brain fart when I think of it too

Top_Cat

Just watching the higlights, oh man there was some awful batting yesterday. Mukund, Raina, Yuvraj and Dhoni - yikes.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Just watching the higlights, oh man there was some awful batting yesterday. Mukund, Raina, Yuvraj and Dhoni - yikes.
I actually though Yuvraj was beginning to handle the short ball a little better after he got struck on the hand, but his dismissal was all to inevitable. Raina and Dhoni were awful though.

Top_Cat

On a positive note, how good does Anderson have his leg-cutter going these days? Wasn't even just Laxman's out either. Bloke's going to be lethal for years if he keeps that up, menacing stuff.

I know there are some that say the only reason you'd rate Anderson ahead of Zaheer right now is the latter's injuries but I don't agree. Anderson at his best > Zaheer at his best for me.

Last edited:

Burgey

I actually though Yuvraj was beginning to handle the short ball a little better after he got struck on the hand, but his dismissal was all to inevitable. Raina and Dhoni were awful though.
Raina's dismissal was so reminiscent of Andrew Hilditch holing out in 1985. His first innings reminiscent of Michael Bevan's various problems in 1997.

Piss funny.