• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dravid Likely to Retire

salman85

International Debutant
The game will be poorer without Dravid.

I'm actually quite surprised at how much this news has bummed me out.I don't think Tendulkar or Ponting retiring will sadden me this much.

Himannv

International Coach
Great player, great person and probably my favourite Indian player. I like players who pick the right time to quit and this is just another additional reason to like this guy. Great of the game for sure and one of the classiest players I've had the pleasure of watching, both on the field and off it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I don't think Tendulkar or Ponting retiring will sadden me this much.
AWTA - I think this is because unlike those 2, he didn't polarise opinion so much because of the fanboys (SRT) or his on-field demeanour (RTP).

Personally I'd say he's probably my favourite non-English cricketer of this era and close to favourite of all time.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I really don't think we'll see his like again so this will certainly be a bittersweet moment

... and he managed to saved the best till last, well almost - as others have said he was just superb last summer

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Right decision. Have been saying for a while now that he would be the first to go, but would have liked for him to retire after probably playing one last farewell match at home.

Truly great player and a gentleman!

Legend. WAG!!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
My favourite Rahul Dravid moment from last summer was actually off the field; his interview with Sky after the loss at the Oval, for two reasons. One, for actually having the balls to front up to the media again (Dravid was effectively Sky's unofficial Indian team correspondent throughout the series) and secondly, despite all the immense frustration, hurt, disappointment, and everything else he must have been feeling in the immediate aftermath of a 4-0 thumping, he still somehow actually managed to maintain a sense of humour. Ian Ward's first question to him was "what went wrong", to which Dravid simply smiled and said "have you got half an hour?"

On the field he was a collosus as well; he was the only Indian batsmen last summer that England didn't have a clue how they were going to get out. Every other batsman had their technical deficiencies exposed and ruthlessly exploited. Dravid either compiled unbeaten hundreds, got out slogging, or else got deliveries that would have dismissed anyone. All 3 of his tons were scored when they should have mattered the most as well; he wasn't cashing in in the 2nd innings when defeat was inevitable.

WAG. Would love it if he was signed by a county this season.

pup11

International Coach
Sad but not really surprised, Dravid without doubt is my favourite Indian cricketer ever. His talent and record speaks for itself so nothing much left for me to add there but the thing that made me admire him was his ability to mould himself into any role given to him within the team even if it compromised his personal interest.

For a player of his stature he hardly had an ego and that's one of the primary reasons why he was never involved in any controversies in a pretty long international career, and its just like him to pull the plug on his career without getting sucked into the temptation of playing a farewell match or series, as many have already said the game of cricket would certainly be poorer without a legend like Rahul Dravid.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
An ATG batsman, slip fielder and person. All the best to you for your future Mr. Dravid.
And remember, it's always better to retire a little too early that a little too late, especially on your own terms.

Enjoy your retirement and the rest of your life.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Easily my fav Indian player, easily my fav SC player, and he's only galvanising that sentiment by going out on his own terms, even though he was better placed to stay in the team longer than some others.

gg Rahul

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Is there something about Dravid that just makes one want to say "We'll never see the likes of him again?" Can in to say the exact same thing.

Classy from start to finish.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
****s like Kohli can learn a thing or two from him.

Superb skills combined with professional attitude and awesome determination. It was an honor.

His best? So many to choose but my favorite were the twin fifties in West Indies to win the series 1-0 in the 4th Test match on an absolute minefield where nobody did anything.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
My fav Indian cricketer. Supreme talent, professional, a cool head and yet underrated or, er, under-noticed. It seems funny because often the Indian media are only too willing to push one of their talents in the spotlight yet he almost always seemed like he was in the shadows. Only coming out when his batting was needed.