Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Surprisingly Quick For A Part-Timer

Wally Hammond was supposed to be as quick as anyone on his day, wasn't he?
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

International Coach HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Rummaging through Iain O'Brien's dustbins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outswinger@Pace View Post
    This is one I could find. Not the best one though. I'd try to see if Rob has uploaded some of Blewett's bowling on his channel
    Was talking about that test earlier. One thing I can't remember though is what the hell happened to Craig McDermott? I know he was injury prone, but injured between the toss and taking the field for the 2nd innings?
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Adam Wheater - Another batsman off the Essex production line
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Indisposed making sex tapes imo.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    There's always going to be the age-old "problem" with part-timers that if they get any good at all they'll become batting all-rounders.

Craig White is onesuch; started as a batsman who bowled very occasional offspin (for Yorks in 1992 he bowled 3 overs in 19 FC games, for instance), switched to seam-up and was soon sending the nut down at 90mph despite a leisurely lope of a run-up thanks to that shoulder of his. Then bingo, he's playing tests as an all-rounder.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"as much a news event as an actual footballer, a worthy stop-start centre forward, but an all-time hyper-galactico when it comes to doing funny things with cars and hats, a player whose signing proves once again that the Premier League is still undoubtedly the best in the world when it comes to doing things with cars and hats."
    - Barney Ronay on Mario Balotelli

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    There's always going to be the age-old "problem" with part-timers that if they get any good at all they'll become batting all-rounders.

Craig White is onesuch; started as a batsman who bowled very occasional offspin (for Yorks in 1992 he bowled 3 overs in 19 FC games, for instance), switched to seam-up and was soon sending the nut down at 90mph despite a leisurely lope of a run-up thanks to that shoulder of his. Then bingo, he's playing tests as an all-rounder.
    Beat me too it with White. Became a respectable all rounder in the end and considering he didn't bowl quickly till he was in his early 20's to get to 90mph is a bit remarkable.

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Wally Hammond was supposed to be as quick as anyone on his day, wasn't he?
    In his youth he was quite sharp by all accounts, although I think his reputation for pace was enhanced by that pretty ordinary Australian mini-series that was done about 25 years ago - one of the mistakes they made was not to use footage from the series so you actually had the actors doing the bowling scenes - the bloke who played Hammond was clearly the only cricketer amongst them - the bloke who played Larwood, clearly not a bad actor overall, but he was no fast bowler - as it was Australian made he was probably cast in the role for that very reason

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Not a true part-timer by any stretch, but Jacques Kallis was very quick during his early years. I recall around the 1999 World Cup he was close to the top five fastest bowlers in the world at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    Rob, please don't post links to this filth. This is supposed to be a family-friendly forum, and it's not right that children, the elderly or the infirm should see footage of the atrocity that was Ricky Ponting's facial hair.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble One View Post
    Not a true part-timer by any stretch, but Jacques Kallis was very quick during his early years. I recall around the 1999 World Cup he was close to the top five fastest bowlers in the world at the time.
    AWTA. Unbelievably quick in that match against SL, and was the quickest bowler of that match. And Donald played that match too.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Quote Originally Posted by Outswinger@Pace View Post

What do you, as a pace bowling coach, make of Blewett's action? Something in there to produce that extra yard or two from seemingly nowhere?
    He gets his feet into what I believe to be the perfect position for a fast bowler. Many disagree but the majority is diminishing as more are coming around to my, and some others, way of thinking.

His back foot lands parallel to the crease, his left leg points to point and them swings all the way across and lands pointing at the batsman perpendicular to the crease. The back foot and the front foot are at a 45 degree angle to each other. This enable complete rotation of the hips.

Ie His left hip points at the batsman when the back foot lands and, due to full rotation, he is 'square' at the point of delivery. He isnt particularly aggressive in the swing of his left leg but his feet, and therefore hips, are very good for generating pace. He also has a strong, solid left leg for him to pivot over.

This rotation can be seen by how quickly he gets off the track and pulls to the left. That isnt ideal but it illustrates where the pace comes from. His problems come from the fact that his upper body doesnt match his feet. He has a 'mixed' action. You shouldnt have a 'sideways on' upper body if your feet are in that position. The upper body looks strong but is going in a different direction to the feet which leads to the lack of control in his follow through and undue stresses in the delivery. Of course, we would change the upper body now to fit the feet but he hasnt. I know little of his later career but his mixed action makes him a candidate for back problems.

So, in conclusion, his feet are in a great position for generating pace but he is probably capable of getting an extra yard by committing more aggressively though the crease but his top and bottom halves are not working together.

Last edited by Goughy; 05-09-2011 at 05:14 AM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by robelinda View Post
    I remember watching the Vaughan one live, Ponting was all over him and deserved the wicket. He should have bowled far more than he has, particularly in that 2005 Ashes series when the 3rd seamer was getting pummelled. Also in ODIs you'd think he could do a decent job, would have thought he's a better bowler than some of the part-timers Australia have used - Mike Hussey definitely.
    National Scrabble Champion 2009, 8th, 11th and 5th in 2009/2011/2013 World Championships, gold medal (team) at Causeway, 2011 Masters Champion
    Australia’s Darren Lehmann is a ‘blatant loser’ insists Stuart Broad
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in public:
    Reply from mods to my prank bans in private:

MSN - evil_budgie @ hotmail.co.uk

International 12th Man Outswinger@Pace's Avatar
    Top stuff, Goughy. Thanks so much for your insight.

Ie His left hip points at the batsman when the back foot lands and, due to full rotation, he is 'square' at the point of delivery
    Of course, we would change the upper body now to fit the feet but he hasnt.
    Implying that you'd get him to open up his upper body more and get front-on? Wouldn't that in any way affect his natural rhythm and ability to let go off the ball (from his palm) where he desires? I had some control issues when I tried to open up my action in the past and decided to stick with what I had.

I have been reading a lot about mixed actions being stressful understandably due to the trunk having to twist to accomodate that counter-rotation. I fall in that category too - upper body very side-on with a slightly mixed action. Can you give me a good example of a fully side-on action? Hadlee, perhaps!

P.S.: If the mods so desire, we can take this discussion seperately. Please let me know.
    Last edited by Outswinger@Pace; 05-09-2011 at 05:26 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information