• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

AB De Villiers- The Complete Batsman?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just watching De Villiers bat today, it struck me how well-rounded a player he's become. Pretty much any criticism that is generally applied to a batsman can't be said of De Villiers.

He has no obvious technical weaknesses anymore and doesn't get out repeatedly in the same way. He can smash spinners and fast bowlers equally.
He can score runs when the going is tough, and he can cash in when the going's good.
He doesn't look especially vulnerable early on, and he can bat for long, long periods.
He can stick around and absorb pressure, and he can score quickly when he feels like it.
He's quick between the wickets, is possibly the world's greatest fielder, and is a quality player in both formats.

Over the past two years, he now averages over 60. Can anyone actually think of a criticism it's possible to level at him, or is it safe to say he's pretty much the perfect batsman?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
He has no obvious technical weaknesses anymore and doesn't get out repeatedly in the same way. He can smash spinners and fast bowlers equally.
Ive not seen him bat properly for about a year, so if he has got rid of his previous flaws then he must be a hell of a player.

Previously he committed to the front foot too early and played back foot shots off the front foot. Something only really possible with great eye and even bounce. He also played with an angled bat.

If he has worked some of this stuff out of his system then I need to watch him soon as Im missing a special player.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Ive not seen him bat properly for about a year, so if he has got rid of his previous flaws then he must be a hell of a player.

Previously he committed to the front foot too early and played back foot shots off the front foot. Something only really possible with great eye and even bounce. He also played with an angled bat.

If he has worked some of this stuff out of his system then I need to watch him soon as Im missing a special player.
Took on Jacques Kallis 'old' technique about 18 months ago. Has the same trigger movement where he moves back and across towards the off-stump. It looks to have helped his game because before that he was always a decent shout for LBW or bowled.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Just watching De Villiers bat today, it struck me how well-rounded a player he's become. Pretty much any criticism that is generally applied to a batsman can't be said of De Villiers.

He can score runs when the going is tough, and he can cash in when the going's good.
He doesn't look especially vulnerable early on, and he can bat for long, long periods.
He can stick around and absorb pressure, and he can score quickly when he feels like it.
He's quick between the wickets, is possibly the world's greatest fielder, and is a quality player in both formats.

Over the past two years, he now averages over 60. Can anyone actually think of a criticism it's possible to level at him, or is it safe to say he's pretty much the perfect batsman?
what he said :)
Looks like he's 11 years old.
gold :)

Redbacks

International Captain
a distinct lack of heating in the kitchen today!

Can anyone actually think of a criticism it's possible to level at him, or is it safe to say he's pretty much the perfect batsman?
Ability to put away the marginally bad ball :tongue:

Last edited:

irfan

State Captain

Love ABdV but his major weakness is that he can't put away deliveries that bounce twice. Surprised no one bar Ashraful has exploited this...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah he used to just plonk his front foot straight down the pitch, and not towards the line of the ball.

Doesn't do that anymore.

Gun batsman, great to watch.

Woodster

International Captain
Would be hesitant to call him a 'complete player' at the age of 25, although he has certainly improved greatly as a player. Is now fully aware that flashy cameos are not match defining contributions, and it's the big scores that make the difference.

Does employ the Kallis-style technique, and looks good for it. Plays a great blend of attacking cricket (emphasised by todays assault on McDonald), and looking solid in defence, happy to rotate the strike with soft hands, and good running.

Definitely looking a real player, although still a way to go before he is 'complete'.

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
AB is certainly the best No 6 in world cricket today -- played two stunning innings which i cant forget - one against India - stunning 217 at Ahmedabad last year and of course the famous 100 at Perth

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I think all these people who are harping on in this thread about AB claiming a catch he knew wasn't out are being really unfair. The guy can bat, let's leave him alone.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Looks like he's 11 years old.
I had some friends at his old school Affies, didn't stop him pulling lank girls, he was always the centre of attention..

I think it's a credit to him that such an established batsman as myself used to model my batting on his.. Although now I prefer more of the Kallis

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
AB is certainly the best No 6 in world cricket today -- played two stunning innings which i cant forget - one against India - stunning 217 at Ahmedabad last year and of course the famous 100 at Perth
Shame that he's batting at 5 then....