• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Netherlands vs Spain (World Cup Final)

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You wouldn't ask Lampard to do what Essien does would you?
Invalid, you said you can't say one player is better than the other when they do different things in a game, which to me is like saying you can't say Cesc is a better player than Alex Song which is bollocks.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The 2006 final was a better match than this one despite the fact that it was decided on penalties. It had a better flow to it, not as niggly, and had some absolutely memorable moments - Zidane's chipped penalty, Buffon's save from Zidane's header, Henry's under-rated performance. Shame it all got overshadowed by the infamous head-butt - which was absolutely inconsequential as the game was drifting towards penalties anyway by that stage.
Not neccesarily. Zidane would have taken one of the France penalties for sure, and I doubt he would have made such a hash of it as the totally rubbish David Trezeguet.

Scaly piscine

Nah, any time you have a challenge with studs raised over knee height its generally a red. He hit him in the chest ffs. It may have not been intentional, but that doesn't change the fact that it was extremely dangerous and a red 99 times out of 100.
It's not extreme dangerous because there's little force in the collision. It just happened to be awkward, so as a result of misfortune it was a bit of blow to the chest. How many times during the World Cup did people cop a blow to the head because of people raising their foot? Some of them were quite forceful. I don't remember any of them getting sent off.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Spot the man who's never been front-kicked in the chest, football boots on or not..

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not neccesarily. Zidane would have taken one of the France penalties for sure, and I doubt he would have made such a hash of it as the totally rubbish David Trezeguet.
Trezeguet would probably have been one of the designated penalty takers in any case, as he had been subbed on for that purpose.

A bit harsh to call him rubbish, remember his winner in Euro 2000?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's not extreme dangerous because there's little force in the collision. It just happened to be awkward, so as a result of misfortune it was a bit of blow to the chest. How many times during the World Cup did people cop a blow to the head because of people raising their foot? Some of them were quite forceful. I don't remember any of them getting sent off.
:wallbash:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be honest I actually agree with Scaly in that I don't think a yellow card was wrong there. In my mind De Jong was going for the ball and the way things ended up made the tackle look worse than it actually was.

Matteh

To be honest I actually agree with Scaly in that I don't think a yellow card was wrong there. In my mind De Jong was going for the ball and the way things ended up made the tackle look worse than it actually was.
Yeah, lack of intent makes it a yellow for mine even though it looks a shocker.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
It doesn't matter if he was going for the ball or not, you can't get your feet that high with studs raised and not expect to get sent off. It's still bloody reckless.

The tackle may look worse than it actually was, but you'll have to ask Alonso about that. I bet it bloody well hurt, and could have been a lot worse.

Scaly piscine

Spot the man who's never been front-kicked in the chest, football boots on or not..
Spot the man who didn't watch the replay properly or ignored the fact that HE DID NOT KICK OUT.

There must have been hundreds of incidents throughout the World Cup where a player somewhat recklessly raised their leg towards the ball. Plenty of those resulted in no contact whatsoever with the other player. Plenty had a glancing blow. The odd one just happens to catch someone painfully. They're all 'equally' dangerous. Do you want them all red carded so we can have five a side in a World Cup? Or are you going to abandon your hysteria for some consistency?

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Stop talking out your arse. Hundreds?

Lets break the challenge into the two important aspects.
1) The height of his foot. This in itself is not worth a red. Most of the time not even a yellow, depends on the situation. I'm sure there were quite a lot of these incidents during the world cup.
2) Studs raised. Basically a dangerous tackle, poor technique. There is no situation where it is acceptable to tackle someone in this way. Should be a yellow everytime. Red if really serious.

Now de Jong's challenge had both aspects. If you try and tell me that there were hundred such incidents in the World Cup, then I'll eat my football boots.

Studs raised is a definite yellow, studs raised at such a height is a definite red.

Hysteria? Nah, I just know what I'm talking about.

Oh and another thing
"HE DID NOT KICK OUT?"
Wtf does that mean? What does it even have to do with anything? It doesn't change a thing if he was kicking out (?) or not.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Why has nobody resorted to the copy and paste the regulations of the game posting yet

Scaly piscine

Why has nobody resorted to the copy and paste the regulations of the game posting yet
Too much like hard work. Not that the rules are strictly adhered to anyway.

I'd have thought common sense alone would be enough... but apparently people cannot make simple links such as the element of danger and the relevance of someone kicking out (or not)... Blah.

Matteh

Stop talking out your arse. Hundreds?

Lets break the challenge into the two important aspects.
1) The height of his foot. This in itself is not worth a red. Most of the time not even a yellow, depends on the situation. I'm sure there were quite a lot of these incidents during the world cup.
2) Studs raised. Basically a dangerous tackle, poor technique. There is no situation where it is acceptable to tackle someone in this way. Should be a yellow everytime. Red if really serious.

Now de Jong's challenge had both aspects. If you try and tell me that there were hundred such incidents in the World Cup, then I'll eat my football boots.

Studs raised is a definite yellow, studs raised at such a height is a definite red.

Hysteria? Nah, I just know what I'm talking about.

Oh and another thing
"HE DID NOT KICK OUT?"
Wtf does that mean? What does it even have to do with anything? It doesn't change a thing if he was kicking out (?) or not.
Can you explain to me just how you get your foot to head height without showing studs?

My viewing of it is that he's raised a leg for the ball and Alonso's running for the ball and runs into the outstretched leg. Sure it's potentially dangerous but there's no malice in it. If you're going to send someone off for that, Iniesta would've been long gone before his goal for lashing out and connecting with whoever it was that tackled him strongly (almost certainly was Van Bommel)

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
and Iniesta, he deserved a straight red for the kick to van Bommel...

Webb is a blind chicken for missing the corner when Sneijder took the free-kick.

De Jong's foul mightve been red, although it was not on purpose it's a dangerous action.
But in that case Uruguay shouldve gotten a red card for the attack on De Zeeuw's face in the semi-final.

grecian

Can you explain to me just how you get your foot to head height without showing studs?

My viewing of it is that he's raised a leg for the ball and Alonso's running for the ball and runs into the outstretched leg. Sure it's potentially dangerous but there's no malice in it. If you're going to send someone off for that, Iniesta would've been long gone before his goal for lashing out and connecting with whoever it was that tackled him strongly (almost certainly was Van Bommel)
Umm well you don't, simple, if you do you get sent off.

Honestly what the **** is going on here, is this all some kinds of weird wind-up, the dutch were ****ing disgraceful, forget de Jong, but van Bommel had to go.

Dutch were a pitiful bunch of tossers, simple, can we move on please.