• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trott leaves tour

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dave Warners comments have no bearing on this. If you seriously think anything that bloke said can 'give' someone depression or acute stress, you seriously misunderstand the illnesses.
I am not - at all - saying that what Warner said caused Trott to experience this, but verbal abuse can, and does, cause depression and stress related illnesses. That's well accepted.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
And yes, we all agree that it's stupid to suggest that any blame can be laid at Warner's door for Trott's illness. It was just a fairly jarring bit of a press conference, no more than that.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I think people that are trying to associate Warner with Trotts return to England just lack knowledge about Trotts problem in general and using it to take shots at Warner. That in itself is probably in poorer taste than what Warner did. Using Trotts unfortunate problem to promote your own dislike for Warner shows a complete lack of understanding of Trotts condition and is in very bad taste. Trotts mental condition is being used inappropriately as a sledging tool against Warner, this is not what is going to help Trott but only make it worse because the real problem is being clouded by stuff that has nothing to do with his condition.
Is anyone actually blaming Warner for Trott's departure? I haven't seen it myself. Silentstriker makes a pretty reasonable case that comments which people make can exacerbate mental illness, but I don't see him or anyone really laying in to Warner on that score.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think we need to wait until Trott speaks before we know anything serious on what's caused him to fly home. Too many individual factors present in these sorts of things.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can we just say right now, Warner did not call Trott weak. He said his dismissal was weak (which I'm sorry to say was) and that he looked at bit scared of Mitchell Johnson's pace (which, I'm sorry to say, he did).

Now, as I said at the time, Warner's comments were unnecessary because it's an attack from one professional to another, which is disrespectful, and furthermore he should just shut up and let his on field talents do the talking. But what he said wasn't a personal attack on Trott as a person, just on his exhibition of batting on display in the first test.
****, we agree on something

Probably means we're both wrong #likethatwilleverhappen

TNT

Banned
Is anyone actually blaming Warner for Trott's departure? I haven't seen it myself. Silentstriker makes a pretty reasonable case that comments which people make can exacerbate mental illness, but I don't see him or anyone really laying in to Warner on that score.
For a thread titled "Trott leaves tour" which has every third post abusing Warner by posters who don't have one fraction of the skill he has.

You don't have to be a member of mensa to play cricket, Warner has the skills to play cricket, what is different from calling Trott a girl and pansy to calling Warner uneducated and a dick.

steds

Hall of Fame Member
what is different from calling Trott a girl and pansy to calling Warner uneducated and a dick.
Well, calling Trott a girl is quite obviously an insult, whereas all the evidence actually does point to Warner being a dick, so it's more of a statement.

Having said that, it's quite obvious that Warner has no relevance to this issue, and everyone should go call Warner a dick elsewhere.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Given what he said about Trott just a day or two ago means it's hardly surprising that his name has come up in this thread. But I don't think anyone is blaming him.

And there's a bit of difference between random punters having a pop at someone on an internet forum and a Test player having a pop at an opponent in a post-Test press conference.

TNT

Banned
Well, calling Trott a girl is quite obviously an insult, whereas all the evidence actually does point to Warner being a dick, so it's more of a statement.

Having said that, it's quite obvious that Warner has no relevance to this issue, and everyone should go call Warner a dick elsewhere.
Well Trott is obviously soft and cant handle playing cricket against men. The evidence is quite strong he is a pansy. Leaving a tour after being worked over by a bowler is a very weak thing to do.

Spark

Global Moderator
OK guys I realise no one will post anything directly untoward here but be aware that talking about mental illness can be triggered by discussion of it, especially viewing the wrong sort of comments even if presented in the right way. Not a moderation thing, just a request to be careful (and will put a TW up in the OP if required).
A reminder.

Be very careful what you post in this thread.

wiff

First Class Debutant
Trott has been suffering from this illness for some time, so Trott was deemed OK before the test and then the pressure of facing a bowler who had his measure must of had some impact. Who knows what Warner’s comments did? To say that there is no correlation between events before and after the Gabba test is a long stretch. Only in Trott’s mind can you find the answer. However, Warner is not guilty of anything in the lands of free speech.

Warner is a cricketer, I wish he would stick to playing cricket. His best statement was when he scored a 100. He should leave it at that. He is not a psychologist. He said he is ”getting into the minds of the English”, but he is letting the world into his mind, and it is a small, dark place. He would do himself and the Australian cricket team a favour if he kept his mouth shut.

As Mike Atherton wrote: “Sport is not war; not even war minus the shooting. It is just sport. The hope is that Trott can find a way to enjoy it again.”

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry to read of this. I hope Trott improves with support from family and others when he returns home.

I do agree with some things I've read before, that there's something about cricket in particular that attracts intense, introspective, self-denying types of people that take the world on their shoulders and find failure extremely difficult. And that cricket is a uniquely cruel game, especially for batsmen for whom failure is never far away.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Well everyone agrees Warner is a dick and Trott has done the brave and correct thing in speaking out now.

Not that Warner had anything to do with this, just the tip of a very large iceberg. Who knows Warner being a dick might be the best thing that happened to Trott. Doubt we will ever know.
I disagree that Warner's comments had nothing to do with it. Emotions can affect physical illnesses, from what I've read so surely they affect mental illnesses too. Warner + the press must have made this worse, imo.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I agree with Zaremba; I think Warner's comments had an underlying 'bully' tone to it. Perhaps Warner sensed Trott's uneasiness - not just how he batted - and thought he'd stoke the fires. He probably didn't know that Trott had those issues and thought it was just a mind-game he'd initiate. Nevertheless, in hindsight it looks bad.

But I doubt Trott's problems came to a crash because of Warner's comments. It's undoubtedly something that has built up for a long time and it was just a matter of time. The pressure people can put on themselves due to their own ridiculous expectations can truly cripple them. I am someone who has also suffered from this kind of mentality and it's a battle. NZTailender's post is also spot on.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Must say I genuinely find it hard to believe you've ever lacked in self confidence.

JontyPanesar

U19 Vice-Captain
There had to be a better way to let Trott take care of himself than for him to go out like this. Now it seems like his problem is being aired out in public and being projected onto all of the events related to this most recent test.

I hope it's nothing too serious like depression; I'm sure time away from the game will help him regain perspective

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have found that coming out to everybody with your problems can really help you heal faster in the long run, especially if you have people around you who care, which is obviously true for Trott. Hell, even I care about him. Go Trott!!