• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trott leaves tour

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I will say, I disagree with TNT in the fact that there's definitely an unspoken rule amongst pros not to question each other's skills in the media, but everything he is saying is TNT. Actually one of the more well pieced together arguments.
Yeah, what Warner said was unquestionably poor form IMO, but it has nothing to do with the fact that Trott is a better batsman or has achieved more or anything like that. It'd still be poor form even if Warner said it about Carberry or someone like that. You don't have more/less right to air your opinion based on how good you are at cricket; sure your opinion will rightly carry more weight if you've achieved more but that's a different thing altogether.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah look, he can say what he wants. It's just cricket bites your arse. Seems a bit stupid to me to say anything given where he was less than 6 months ago is all. If he wants to have a crack, he's more than welcome to. I just don't think I'd do it if I was in his situation. #freedom

TNT

Banned
Why have player interviews if only players that have scored as many runs as Ponting or Lara can talk. Warner can say what he wants when he wants just like posters here can. Don't put up some crap that he has to out score a player before he can comment. If the media talk to him then he can say what he likes. Warner has the right to speak regardless of how many runs he has made.

benchmark00

Nah look, he can say what he wants. It's just cricket bites your arse. Seems a bit stupid to me to say anything given where he was less than 6 months ago is all. If he wants to have a crack, he's more than welcome to. I just don't think I'd do it if I was in his situation. #freedom
This is pretty much spot on. Don't mess with the game, you can never ever beat cricket. Like the time Broad took a newspaper to the day one press conference only for them all to fall in a heap the next day.

Keep your head down when you're doing well because when you inevitably start going badly people will be gunning for you.

Burgey

He doesn't have to be in that position, I'm saying I think he's dumb to do it given where he's been at recently

Edit: @TNT

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It reminds me of the old "I don't agree with a word that you say but I will always support your right to say it" idea. We all have our own views on Warner, most of which seem to coincide, but if he wants to stick his head above the parapet I shall look forward to his copping some abuse back, although I fear it will probably only serve to inspire him - I don't think he'd come out with this bollocks if he wasn't actively wanting to get some back

TNT

Banned
Of course thing can bite you on the arse, look at Anderson, before the England series he commented that he couldent help sledge the Aussies and he also said that Clarke was paranoid. Fast forward to now and look how silly his comments are. Warner has to live with what he says and its on him if it backfires. But these are the little things that make the game so interesting, I love hearing what players have to say and watching it all unfold. If you don't like it then don't watch it or read it.

TNT

Banned
He doesn't have to be in that position, I'm saying I think he's dumb to do it given where he's been at recently

Edit: @TNT
Not really, Warner is always going to cop it regardless of what he does. If he didn't say a word everyone would still be on his back. He might aswell get a few in when he can and enjoy it while it lasts. The guy is smarter than you think, he wont read the papers or listen to others when it backfires.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
tbh TNT I don't think there is any right or wrong here, it is just my opinion on players chirping.....as it is yours.

When Glenn McGrath used to pick his bunnies or talk about whitewashes I felt he'd earned the right to do so, he wasn't ****y like that when he was starting out. It seems to me (and again just my opinion) that some of the younger generation of Aussie players and I'm thinking of Warner and Maxwell especially here are talking the talk of greatness when they are not even good yet.

But anyway, I'd rather all of this talk stay on the pitch and not done in press conferences.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I don't see why England don't just bring Devon Malcolm in with one instruction- kill Warner.

the big bambino

International Captain
Just as chefs are accountable to their critics and their customers cricketers are accountable to their public and the press. It might seem incongruous but Warner's place in cricket's hierarchy will always draw justifiable criticism by those who'll never place test cricket when he comments unfavourably about someone who has achieved more than him. So he's entitled to say it and cop it for saying it.

Burgey

I must say the head chef at Vue Du Monde put together an epic seven course degustation menu on Sunday for lunch.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Warner did nothing wrong and should not apologize. The ECB are at complete fault for putting Trott in a position he was uncomfortable with if there is any blame to be laid. It seems to me that the ECB is not very good at managing these situations as this is not the first time its happened.
So why did they ever debut him then, seeing as he's been managing the situation that long?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
So why did they ever debut him then, seeing as he's been managing the situation that long?
Having a stress illness ≠ not ever doing anything.

Obviously he could manage it at domestic level, then he debuted at international level and he managed....but it's gotten too much. It's not like some categorical thing like you have lung cancer so don't smoke (maybe not a great analogy). You push yourself, bit by bit, eventually you hit a barrier and you deal with it.

I really hope he makes a comeback. One of my favourite players (and not because of this whole situation).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It must be "take people completely seriously when they're just demonstrating a flaw in someone else's logic by extrapolating it" day.

Now I hate Cevnoing as much as the next guy but geee... :p

GuyFromLancs

State Vice-Captain
Not really, Warner is always going to cop it regardless of what he does. If he didn't say a word everyone would still be on his back. He might aswell get a few in when he can and enjoy it while it lasts. The guy is smarter than you think, he wont read the papers or listen to others when it backfires.
But Warner is clearly one of those thorny characters who will always persistently sledge.

And I'm not saying there's anything especially wrong with this (as long as certain lines aren't crossed), but as others have mentioned - the real test is whether he will weather his first storm. Because as sure as Brian Lara, Ricky Ponting, Viv Richards and a great many others hit a run of bad form, David Warner will also at some point.

It's a lot harder chirping up when you're going into the third match of a series maintaining a batting average Ashley Giles would consider below par. And it happens to the best of them.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It must be "take people completely seriously when they're just demonstrating a flaw in someone else's logic by extrapolating it" day.

Now I hate Cevnoing as much as the next guy but geee... :p
Yeah that flew over my head so apologies to Marc, but there's the reason why if anyone genuinely thought that.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Harbhajan said in the early 2000s that seeing Ponting walk out to bat in the 2001 series was the first time he saw "fear in a batsman's eyes". Just to prove my point, Harby made those comments during the 2003 World Cup.....
DIdn't know that. Harby is a racist idiot. Totally unsurprising that he'd be a moron about other things.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Having a stress illness ≠ not ever doing anything.

Obviously he could manage it at domestic level, then he debuted at international level and he managed....but it's gotten too much. It's not like some categorical thing like you have lung cancer so don't smoke (maybe not a great analogy). You push yourself, bit by bit, eventually you hit a barrier and you deal with it.

I really hope he makes a comeback. One of my favourite players (and not because of this whole situation).
I was only pointing out that Trott has had the condition since before his Test debut, something which Flower mentioned yesterday seems to have gone relatively un-noticed here.