• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Tendulkar as a World Cup player (posts moved here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
WC

And please dont cite 1st round etc

I love Tendy but his record in important ODIs is ridiculously overrated

Give me a Steve Waugh innings vs SA 1999 any day over 30 knocks that mean nothing in the scheme of things
This is the kind of logic that I never understand. You pick an inning and decide that as clutch and surround your entire argument around it but at the same time reject the same position when others use it for Tendulkar.

If scoring in the WC Finals is all that matters then Please show me what SR ****ing Waugh has ever done in an WC final. In 3 ****ing finals he has a grand total of 18 ****ing runs, yes you heard it right Big 18 ****ing Runs in 3 WC finals where it mattered most.

Now as soon as I mention the above Statistics, you suddenly remember that your whole head was below the ****ing sand and it is time to bring that head out of the ****ing sand and shift the ****ing goal post.

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
he certainly is. failed in the 03 finals against aus. but he took the team to the finals in the first place. won the man of the series prize that year, the only time it went to a player who didnt play for the champion side.

as for the main question, dhoni in my books is still a bit behind bevan. because i do believe WC performances are important.

edit: fixed the year
This. Don't think you can say he's not been good at WCs when he's won a player of the WC award.

I'm not sure if a SL player won player of the last WC, had in my head they did.

Edit: should say, I cbf going over the stats and what have you, but remember thinking when McGrath got Tendulkar out in the 03 final that any chance India had was gone, such was his importance.

Also thought that of the Aussies in that WC Andy Bichel's contributions were epic. Not saying he should have won the award, just that he played out of his skin for us.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
This. Don't think you can say he's not been good at WCs when he's won a player of the WC award.

Edit: should say, I cbf going over the stats and what have you, but remember thinking when McGrath got Tendulkar out in the 03 final that any chance India had was gone, such was his importance.

Also thought that of the Aussies in that WC Andy Bichel's contributions were epic. Not saying he should have won the award, just that he played out of his skin for us.
India were pretty much out of it as soon as Oz hit 300 and had Mcgrath in the side as a bowler.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
Tendulkar's supposed greatness didn't save them against the POWERHOUSE that is BANGLADESH in 2007 when he scored 7 runs off 26 balls did it?

But hey, he scored 57* from only 29 deliveries against Bermuda.

India have not made either a Champions Trophy final or World Cup final since 2003.

Only time India have won something big while Tendulkar was in the team was the 2002 Champions Trophy when they shared the title with Sri Lanka after the final was washed out.

In the 2000 CT final Tendulkar scored 69 off 83 deliveries against New Zealand when they lost. Not his fault that after the start he and Ganguly got the middle order collapsed but still, if he went on to score a century they probably would have won. He didnt fail but he didnt deliver the knock out punch that he was in position for.

He did score 91 and 117* against Australia in the two finals of the final tri-angular series in 2007/08. How much emphasis you want to put on that is up to the individual.

slippyslip

U19 12th Man
This is the kind of logic that I never understand. You pick an inning and decide that as clutch and surround your entire argument around it but at the same time reject the same position when others use it for Tendulkar.

If scoring in the WC Finals is all that matters then Please show me what SR ****ing Waugh has ever done in an WC final. In 3 ****ing finals he has a grand total of 18 ****ing runs, yes you heard it right Big 18 ****ing Runs in 3 WC finals where it mattered most.

Now as soon as I mention the above Statistics, you suddenly remember that your whole head was below the ****ing sand and it is time to bring that head out of the ****ing sand and shift the ****ing goal post.
I think your ignorance of Steve Waugh is showing. In 1987 he was a true all-rounder and took 2 for 37 from 9 overs in the final against England including the important wicket of Allan Lamb and Defreitas who had scored 17 from 10 and was looking like he might pull off a win. After Simon O'Donnell he was the most economical bowler and along with AB took the most wickets at 2. He also scored 5* from 4 balls.

He didnt bat in the 1999 world cup final because Australia won so easily.

The only time he failed in a world cup final was in 1996.

Its posts like yours that really make it not worth discussing cricket on forums like these. Even by cricketweb's (low) standards your post was nothing but manipulative lies.

Steve Waugh won 2 world cups including one as captain.

Last edited:

Sir Alex

Banned

I think Jayasurya won man of series in 96 world cup.

Sachin winning man of series in 03 had nothing to do with subjective evaluation. It was based on a predetermined ranking system which assigned points based on runs scored, Wickets taken, catches etc. The whingeing is akin to the same when india got to test number one rankings. (Not at you mate)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think Jayasurya won man of series in 96 world cup.

Sachin winning man of series in 03 had nothing to do with subjective evaluation. It was based on a predetermined ranking system which assigned points based on runs scored, Wickets taken, catches etc. The whingeing is akin to the same when india got to test number one rankings. (Not at you mate)
Really? Has that been used before or after, or was it just for the 2003 tournament?

Personally don't agree with such a system. Not that I believe that Sachin didn't deserve it.

Sir Alex

Banned
Cool story, bro.

I'm glad you think that rankgs up there with the World Cup and Champions Trophy. kthxbai
I see you haven't got over Sachin's one man demolition of Australia in 98 champions trophy.

What is Sachin's record by the way in CT finals?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
A question to the Indian fans: what will be your thoughts if India go into the deep stages of the next WC and you still don't win a WC with Sachin?

Top_Cat

Not a betting man but I'd put money on that all Indian fans will renounce their fanship of Sachin and start multiple Facebook groups dedicated to Yuvraj Singh.

vcs

A question to the Indian fans: what will be your thoughts if India go into the deep stages of the next WC and you still don't win a WC with Sachin?
I wouldn't really care. I'd rather see Sachin win a Test series in Australia or S.A. before he retires.

Status
Not open for further replies.