• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

talented players who didn't deliver as much as they could

tooextracool

International Coach
Andy Caddick. Like Tremlett, but he can swing it as well!
Tremlett does bowl natural outswingers, while not quite the swing bowler that Caddick was to be fair. That being said, Tremlett is far stronger and more muscular than Caddick and that gives him a huge leg up to be honest.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hard to go past Bevan in Tests.
Not convinced, myself. Had a weakness against genuine pace and short pitched stuff in particular. I think that if bowlers had been allowed the one bouncer in ODIs back when he was playing his one day record might not have been so impressive.

His FC record at The Gabba, possibly the sportiest deck down there since the WACA went south, is indicative here, I think.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
sachin tendulkar
"In the previous three or so years, I remember only two test series where Sachin has (statistically)batted way below his own level. One is the series against New Zealand in India last year, and the other being the recently concluded series against England. Funnily, in the series against New Zealand, Sachin had to score just 1 century to complete a half century of centuries in tests, and in the latter series, he had had to score just 1 century to complete a century of international centuries. Unfortunately, with coincidences such as these, Sachin has to be considered a player who does give in to the pressure of milestones. But, before that, I must say that when Sachin has played well, pressure has hardly seemed to develop on the team. Such is the Sachin effect"
he's spot on. it's happened before too.

taking a lot longer (than expected) to achieve the following-
- going past lara's run tally
- scoring the 40th 100
- scoring the 30th 100
- going past gavaskar's tally of 34

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
sachin tendulkar

he's spot on. it's happened before too.

taking a lot longer (than expected) to achieve the following-
- going past lara's run tally
- scoring the 40th 100
- scoring the 30th 100
- going past gavaskar's tally of 34
Fronting up in World Cup finals...

JBMAC

State Captain
Was playing a fun little game when you try to find of non-opening batsmen who debuted at either 3 or 4 and stumbled upon this guy. Ron Archer | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo Out of the game by 23 but a nice little record there. Anyone know much about him?
Both Ron and his brother Ken played about 20 odd Tests for Australia. Sheffield Shield for QLD
Ken Archer opened the batting for Queensland for over a decade after the war, as well as being an exceptional fielder - he was offered, and declined, a contract to play professional baseball in the USA. In 1949-50 he toured South Africa with Australia, scoring 826 runs in 24 innings without making the Test side. His debut came at Melbourne in 1950-51 when he scored 26 and 46 in Australia's 28-run defeat of England, and he kept his place for the next two Tests before being dropped. He returned the following season for the first two Tests against West Indies, and again performed soundly rather than spectacularly. Archer played one full season in England, scoring 1,116 runs at 93.00 for Accrington in the Lancashire League in 1954. After retiring he became a leading media executive. His younger brother, Ron, also played for Australia.Source Cricinfo
Ken played under Ian Johnston and Ron played under Lindsay Hassett. Ron still living in retirement on North Coast area of NSW.

AlwaysProteas

U19 12th Man
JP Duminy, watched him play against 2008/09 Aus series and couldn't believe my eyes. Especially Melbourne test. Talent and technique were certainly there. Since then though, he's turned into somewhat of a less than an average player

However, he's still young, hopefully he turns things around and gets more chances.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Agree about Duminy.

Mark Ramrakash is an obvious one. Mitchell Johnson could be a great all rounder but lacks consistency in both departments. James anderson was someone who for the first 5 years of his career was one of those people but recently he has delivered. Similar case with Shane Watson, although injuries played their part in that.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
JP Duminy, watched him play against 2008/09 Aus series and couldn't believe my eyes. Especially Melbourne test. Talent and technique were certainly there. Since then though, he's turned into somewhat of a less than an average player

However, he's still young, hopefully he turns things around and gets more chances.
He was never tested against decent spin (or turning wickets) that tour I guess so it hid his weakness.

Agree on the whole though, he looked sublime. Hopefully he'll come good.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
"There are two batsmen in this team with more talent than I possess, but I'll wager I make more runs than they do in this series."

Greg Chappell, speaking in the early '80s about Kim Hughes and Graeme Wood.

So, Graeme Wood.