• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

talented players who didn't deliver as much as they could

Howsie

International Captain
Te Ahu Davis | New Zealand Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Part of the "lost generation" thanks to Dayle Hadlee and the New Zealand Academy. Dubbed the quickest bowler produced in this country in the last 20 years when he emerged as a schoolboy, Davis is unfortunately the perfect example of how the academy ruined many fast bowling prospects during it's run. Told as a teenager to remodel his action or face an injury plagued career he did as he was told which resulted in countless lower back injuries as his action was rebuilt many times over by Hadlee and co. Davis called it quits at 21 to pursue a rugby career before a couple of severe knee injuries put paid to that idea, he returned to cricket at 23 but was never the same bowler he was when he first burst onto the scene i;e his pace was gone.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Wow! I dont think I have ever heard Devon Malcolm being called a 'natural athlete' in my life
I suppose it depends how you define it. He didn't have great hand/eye co-ordination (as evidence by his batting) and was blind as a bat (which again didn't help batting or, I suppose, bowling) but he was a big, strong guy with a cannon throwing arm.

Reputedly was still one of the fastest bowlers on the county circuit into his late 30s and beyond too. I guess one could argue no-one bowls as quick for as long as Dev did without being something of an athlete.

smash84

The Tiger King
Fair point, but only for a couple of overs at a time. Dev did it week in, week out.
Then you can have Wasim I suppose. Till the end (2003 World Cup) he would touch 85-86 mph when he was 37 and also a diabetic. The man was a freak and had a real strong arm.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Agree with Outswinger about Azhar Mahmood. I think he is still good enough to play for Pakistan. He is having a great season so far with Kent.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Lawrence Rowe and Carl Hooper. Two of THE most talented batsmen ever, who for one reason or another never delivered stats wise on their potential. Simon Jones, Ian Bishop, Waqar and the pakistan banned players dont quite count because before injuries and suspension they were on track for greatness.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Going to Mahmood will be a step back though I would like him to get involved in some coaching capacity seems to speak a lot of sense.

Hammad though not ready yet will be a big player for us in the future I really rate him.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I will have my patented monthly Aamer moan here.

Even though we will never find out how much Pakistan missed out on his talent since the sample size was so small but I genuinely believe he was one of those rare freakish talent in the Sachin, Warne category .The best part about him was his steep learning curve when he arrived he was lively bowler with a nice bowling action on his next tour to Down under he increased his pace by 8-10 miles and was bowling genuinely quick then when he went to England he again stepped up and had full command on both swings his improvement every time he played was remarkable. What a sad story really:(