• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spineless pathetic bastards...

Spark

Global Moderator
I disagree. Johnson will forever be one bad game away from becoming the whipping boy again, and I say that as someone who was always a fan of his. SA09 didn't get him long lasting respect, there's no reason this Ashes series will do so if he falls out of form again.
How many people who aren't diehard cricket fans actually bothered to watch SA09, though? Let's be real here.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
The Barmy Army aren't funny, they aren't clever, they're irrelevant. Ooooh good on you for singing some songs and blowing a horn.

They're just as good as the Fanatics. Exactly.
Its a ****ing trumpet not a horn.

Benchy, you may not find them amusing or enjoy their songs, but I'm not sure you are in any position to be calling them irrelevant. Ask the McGrath foundation and various other beneficiaries of their charity work if they think they are irrelevant.

How irrelevant do you think they are in the eyes of CA who view them as a massive cash cow. And most importantly I can absolutely assure you that they are very relevant to the England team.

Last edited:

TNT

Banned

Benchy, you may not find them amusing or enjoy their songs, but I'm not sure you are in any position to be calling them irrelevant. Ask the McGrath foundation and various other beneficiaries of their charity work if they think they are irrelevant.

How irrelevant do you think they are in the eyes of CA who view them as a massive cash cow. And most importantly I can absolutely assure you that they are very relevant to the England team.
Still no different to any drunken abusive cricket fan.

TNT

Banned
Fmd, have you people ever been to an Ashes test???
I have, unfortunately I've been seated next to the barmy army and the more they drank the more they became obnoxious. They are no different to any drunken yobbo.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Or more specifically, a bugle I believe

And yes, the Barmy Army are worth their weight in gold to organisers and cricket boards around the world hosting the english team, particularly the more cash strapped ones who really need the ticket sales.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The bowls to the left etc song is nothing more than what fans give players, but the chat they did about his mother and gf was pretty ordinary tbh.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
How many people who aren't diehard cricket fans actually bothered to watch SA09, though? Let's be real here.
Indeed. Winning the Ashes in Australia, and that after having lost the last 3 series, is worth more to the casual fan than anything Mitch did in South Africa. And by a long long way.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
But the point is "hot and cold" is the narrative for Johnson. If he goes off the rails in Perth that narrative will just start up again. Brisbane and Adelaide will be considered flashes in the pan and the calls will come back out to drop him.

Besides, we're not even talking about the average cricket fan. How many here would support him if he had a couple of bad tests in a row? Most of us saw SA09 and very few wanted him anywhere near the team before the Ashes.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
But the point is "hot and cold" is the narrative for Johnson. If he goes off the rails in Perth that narrative will just start up again. Brisbane and Adelaide will be considered flashes in the pan and the calls will come back out to drop him.

Besides, we're not even talking about the average cricket fan. How many here would support him if he had a couple of bad tests in a row? Most of us saw SA09 and very few wanted him anywhere near the team before the Ashes.
Clapo and that's about it.

The position so many people took on Johnson pre-series was ridiculous. His selection was completely reasonable given Australia's injury woes heading into Brisbane.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
His selection was only reasonable if there were signs he'd contribute more than he had in the previous few years. Otherwise it was an incredible risk. If there was a good chance he'd have come back and performed as poorly as he's capable of then there were better options. Fortunately, things have changed on Planet Mitch for the good recently (which I'm sure the selectors were aware of).

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, the selectors probably knew more than we did, but our line of fast bowlers extends pretty far back and we had a few guys who on recent shield form could have been considered ahead of Johnson, of course our stance looks stupid now but many of us always said it is possible he could do this, it was hard to know. I think what got us nervous was that he was picked on the back of ODIs, his last two test matches were pretty poor and the shield games in the lead-up gave little indication of what was to come.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Johnson did send down some heat in the ODI series that followed the tests up here. Obviously laid down a marker.

In fact he gave Carbs such problems that I assumed he's played himself out of contention for the tour party.