• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Spineless pathetic bastards...

the big bambino

International Captain
At least you weren't alone. If I'd had my way he wouldn't have been lining up at the Gabba, and the same can be said for a lot of other Aussie posters here. Fair play to him for proving us wrong, and long may it continue.
He's proved everyone wrong including those who had him in the 1st test side. Since he seemed to be bowling with good heat in the lead up and every other contender was injured it was reasonable to pick him. Still expected Harris to be the lead guy with prayers that Johnson might repeat his heroics at Perth and we might be competitive going into Melbourne. But 17 wickets in 2 tests! Cripes you'd have been stunned if McGrath managed that.

beachbum

Cricket Spectator
He's proved everyone wrong including those who had him in the 1st test side. Since he seemed to be bowling with good heat in the lead up and every other contender was injured it was reasonable to pick him. Still expected Harris to be the lead guy with prayers that Johnson might repeat his heroics at Perth and we might be competitive going into Melbourne. But 17 wickets in 2 tests! Cripes you'd have been stunned if McGrath managed that.
I wouldn't...

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I heard on the radio Johnson was giving them a bit of a good natured wave in Adelaide. Did you see that at all?
During that hour on day 5?? Yeah some of the hill were singing "Mitchell, give us a wave......Mitchell, Mitchell give us a wave" to which he did with a big grin and was greeted with a decent round of applause.

As with any sledging (and that's all the BA were doing with their bowls to the left bowls to the right song) it only really works if you let it get to you. During 2009 and 2010/11 Mitchell Johnson was fragile, test cricket is not a place for fragile temperaments. LIke I said before full credit to the bloke for turning it around and having the last laugh, but I don't appologise for a second for being involved in the earlier sledgeing.........if that makes me a "Filthy human" then so be it.

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Anyway Johnson's form has been as big an ashes surprise as I've seen. Probably 2nd place to Richard Ellison's 2 match effort in 85 when he also took 17 wickets. Unlike Johnson Ellison had no rep for turning in match winning efforts and bcos of that I'd still rate that effort the bigger shock.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that Johnson's stint in IPL did him a world of good in terms of confidence. He was anointed as the leader of the bowling pack, asked to open the bowling, and given a free hand to do what he wanted. Also being able to express himself confidently in a tour with little significance and consequence other than instant entertainment and a grand financial package, helped him a great deal.

English guys could do well having a few let to play IPL for a whole season.
You mean the ODI tour, not the IPL.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Is there anyone here that can honestly say they wanted MJ playing this series?? I mean I know there were plenty that realised with the injury list he wouldn't be the worst option going around, but was he on anyone's first choice lineup??
TBF I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been on the selectors first choice lineup if Pattinson and Starc weren't injured.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Is there anyone here that can honestly say they wanted MJ playing this series?? I mean I know there were plenty that realised with the injury list he wouldn't be the worst option going around, but was he on anyone's first choice lineup??
My lineup with what we had to choose from, but with all players available, certainly not.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Not mine. But then again I was an idiot and thought Pattinson was fit.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
No, it's exactly my point.
Well great, I'll accept that, but you originally challenged me by saying there were no other fast bowlers in better FC form that Johnson before the ashes, and I pointed out 2, that was all that was asked of me, so I don't see what you found so funny about me doing it.

U19 12th Man
During that hour on day 5?? Yeah some of the hill were singing "Mitchell, give us a wave......Mitchell, Mitchell give us a wave" to which he did with a big grin and was greeted with a decent round of applause.

As with any sledging (and that's all the BA were doing with their bowls to the left bowls to the right song) it only really works if you let it get to you. During 2009 and 2010/11 Mitchell Johnson was fragile, test cricket is not a place for fragile temperaments. LIke I said before full credit to the bloke for turning it around and having the last laugh, but I don't appologise for a second for being involved in the earlier sledgeing.........if that makes me a "Filthy human" then so be it.
I don't think anyone is bothered by he bowls to the left. The Johnson family on the other hand...

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think anyone is bothered by he bowls to the left. The Johnson family on the other hand...
His mother hates his missus
His missus hates his mother
They all hate each other
The Johnson Family
de le la le de le la le de le la le

Yeah that's real below the belt that.........definitely the work of "filthy animals"

Meanwhile one of your blokes is punching out one of ours in a pub and your skip is threatening to break our bowlers ****ing arm........and you've got the hide to call us animals?? Wake up to yourself fella.

Disclaimer.

For the record, I have no issue at all with Clarkes sledge and have long since got over Warners indiscretion, just pointing out how ridiculous 3703's cry's of foul play are in comparison.

Edit:

I never did like that Johnson family song much anyway, simply because it's not that funny. Far better play on the Adams family song........

Your sister is your mother
Your father is your brother
You only shag each other
The Aussie family
de le la le de le la le de le la le

Last edited:

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Just had an Aussie post this on the BA forum. Quite good me thinks.........

He bowls at your chest
He bowls at your head
That Mitchell Johnson
Fills Pommies with dread!

Shame it will never see the light of day :dry:

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Spin | The story of the stalagmite and England's steady decline | Andy Bull | Sport | theguardian.com

and that made me think of

What I find most baffling about the squad is the lack of experience and change of thoughts. Three people in their first test squads, one bloke in his second. It's strange for this England management to make so many big decisions on the eve of the biggest tour. Begs the question about some of the summer selection as well. Why was Taylor in the squad at Old Trafford, why did Woakes play at the Oval, why did Compton play for Worcestershire and why was Onions picked in 5 of the test squads he was available for this summer? And more importantly, what's changed that's made them suddenly think these players aren't the ones to go for anymore. I have reservations about the only back up bowlers all being 6'8 hit the deck bowlers as well. Remember the last time we had an attack like that?

Obviously I would've picked quite a different squad, but I've been through it all before, so I won't bore people with the same drivel. From the squad picked, I'd have Ballance at 6, and, probably Rankin as the 3rd seamer.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah that made me think of that post too. I wholeheartedly agreed with it at the time and it's obviously even harder to disagree with now. While it'd be a stretch to say picking Compton, Taylor or Woakes would've changed the results - or even the margins - at all because they're hardly world beaters, England suddenly started to make very inconsistent and outright un-England decisions; it was almost like they were a panic about this series despite having won 3-0. The Kerrigan/Woakes debacle really just kicked things off for them in that regard.

I wonder if they read too much into "worst Australian team ever" hype in the press and considered the closeness of the series to be a gross underachievement on their part - like an administrative version of the third gears posts.

Last edited: