• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag weak against shortball : johnson

TumTum

Banned

One of his primary shots that fetches him a lot of runs tbh. Never had much confidence in his pull or hook shots though.
1st image more resembles a cut over the fielders (which I mentioned) and the 2nd is a back-foot drive. :dry:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty sure Malinga's tried that tactic.

Sehwag is brutal of his stumps and through the offside, particularly when there's little movement. I think a tactic for a bowler like Johnson of bowling a few sharp short ones and then pushing it across is probably the only tactic available to him, and there's probably a chance it will work.

In all honesty, the most likely person to get Sehwag out is Sehwag, via a loose shot or something.
Malinga does not bowl he yorker consistently with the new ball. It's more length stuff and short stuff. It's the old ball he makes to talk. If a tall bowler like Mitch can bowl a yorker then it will ne quite dangerous.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
No. Hardly ever see him cut or pull.
Have u seen him bat?

He square cuts 90mph + for sixes over third man..

As for your first point of Johnson getting Sehwag..well I never said he couldnt.. I just said he will have to find some other way instead of bouncing him out..

And yes great or even very good bowlers can swing the ball at will

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have u seen him bat?

He square cuts 90mph + for sixes over third man..

As for your first point of Johnson getting Sehwag..well I never said he couldnt.. I just said he will have to find some other way instead of bouncing him out..

And yes great or even very good bowlers can swing the ball at will
McGrath didn't..

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
McGrath swung it plenty early in his career, too much sometimes. In Pakistan in 94 and in the 94/95 ashes he got heaps of swing, especially in Brisbane, but not a lot of wickets. During the Trinidad test in 95 he got swing, but very helpful conditions. Obviously not his forte though.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Hardly ever see him cut
Have you seen Sehwag bat? Ever?

Sehwag has the fiercest cut in the world.

A few months ago, Imran Khan was opining that he hasn't seen any batsman playing fiercer cut stroke than the one Sehwag plays. He reckoned that even if two thirdmans are placed by the fielding captain, Sehwag can score a boundary between the two. He was not exaggerating much. Sehwag's cuts go like bullet.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member

A few months ago, Imran Khan was opining that he hasn't seen any batsman playing fiercer cut stroke than the one Sehwag plays. He reckoned that even if two thirdmans are placed by the fielding captain, Sehwag can score a boundary between the two. He was not exaggerating much. Sehwag's cuts go like bullet.
He's cuts are more like uppish back foot drives over gully I reckon

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

I think he's thinking of the more traditional cut. Sehwag tends to drive shorter balls on the up through point/gully and uppercut anything else. Don't often see him play a traditional, head-over-the ball cut all the way along the carpet.

Definitely not a criticism of his batting, either.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Anything played by a right-handed batsman (except a reverse sweep or an outside edge) that goes towards the thirdman, is a cut. Doesn't matter if his technique and feet movement for playing the cut is like Greg Chappell's or Roy Fredericks' or Vivian Richards' or Brian Lara's (they all had different techniques and different footworks for the cut shot), it's a cut nevertheless. If not, then only 1 among 4 of the above batsmen played the cut stroke and the other 3 didn't.

If not, and if Sehwag can drive a 90+ mph delivery from the middle of the bat towards thirdman, then probably Shri was right - we are watching a 5 day baseball match between India and Australia now.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Don't often see him play a traditional, head-over-the ball cut all the way along the carpet.
With his elbows making the 'O' structure like Geoff Boycott suggests should? No, he doesn't play the cut shot like Rahul Dravid does. No. But the fact remains that he plays cut shots along the carpet (the ball rolling over the boundary rope and not jumping over it) with more accuracy and more power than any batsman in world cricket, atm.

Sehwag has 3 distinct shots, which are creating all the confusion in this thread. Let me list:

1. Square cut in-the-air:

2. Along-the-carpet Bullet Square Cut:

3. Square Drive:

And for those who do not know the difference between a square drive and a square cut (not for you, Top-Cat), a square drive is played with bat position more vertical than horizontal, and a square cut is played with bat position more horizontal than vertical.

Last edited: