• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag weak against shortball : johnson

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Bit of a beat up. I guess if you were being told to bowl at Sehwag at home, on his current form, you'd be grimly grasping onto whatever supposed weakness you can find/imagine. And he didn't really slag the guy either.

That said, you have to love the classic dumb fast-bowler idea of insightful strategy - "hmmmmm, I know what I'll do! Bowl a bouncer!! They'll never see that coming!" :p
haha true. But if he directs them as well as he did in SA a couple of years ago, it won't matter whether they know it's coming or not.

Spark

Global Moderator
Think some chin music does unsettle Sehwag but doubt it'll get him out, even with a sucker ball follow-up. He's Ponting-like in his ability to forget what just happened and concentrate on the next ball.
Langer was even better IIRC. The guy had an astonishing ability to not be rattled by anything at all (good thing too given how often he took one to the arm/elbow/chest/chin)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Short at the body is a good tactic against Sehwag, if there is decent bounce in the wicket. Surely Mitch isn't saying anything new here.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
No one has tried the yorker against him. Might be a good ploy after after few bouncers

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
No one has tried the yorker against him. Might be a good ploy after after few bouncers
Pretty sure Malinga's tried that tactic.

Sehwag is brutal of his stumps and through the offside, particularly when there's little movement. I think a tactic for a bowler like Johnson of bowling a few sharp short ones and then pushing it across is probably the only tactic available to him, and there's probably a chance it will work.

In all honesty, the most likely person to get Sehwag out is Sehwag, via a loose shot or something.

Burgey

The idea of bouncing Sehwag out in the subcontinent is a little bit silly. Not to mention that the guy has scored runs in Australia for fun.
They might beam him instead. Yeah you get no-balled, but it's worth it if you maim him.

One thing Johnson does have going for him is this occasional ability to get crazily alarming lift, even from placid surfaces. hedoesn't do it all the time mind, and of course we never know which Johnson might turn up on any given day. But he does have this ability to generate un-nerving bounce from even a reasonable length on flattish decks.

Suppose we wait to see what is in the pitches. I mean, if Australia bat first and post anything decent, by the time he gets th eball the wicket is likely to have flattened out anyways. Still can't blame him for giving it a go against Sehwag.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
My favourite part of the article:
I think more people get enjoyment out of watching me bowl than bat," Katich said.
I've long thought it'd be great just to watch someone try and bounce Sehwag out, and stick in a deep point and a third man. Whether it would be successful or not, it'd make for some bloody entertaining cricket.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Times of India says the Mohali pitch is going to be low and slow with a bit of assistance to seam bowling. Reasons given for the pitch condition were the lack of domestic games and the rain.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure why Australian fast bowlers think they can bounce out Sehwag...
Firstly Indian pitches have very predictable bounce..
Secondly, Sehwag is a good cutter and puller of the ball..

Now unless someone can really surprise him with extra pace and bounce..I dont see this being successful..

A smarter move would have been to try to swing the ball..whether away or into him..That is something he has real issues with.

vcs

He got his man didn't he?

No. Hardly ever see him cut or pull.
You haven't seen him cut?

And he plays the pull well on slow subcontinental tracks, he doesn't bother to keep it down because he usually hits it well enough. His technique against the short ball can get him into trouble on bouncier wickets though.

TumTum

Banned
You haven't seen him cut?
Doesn't he just play the back-foot drive, or the guide over the slips? Far from the authentic cut like Strauss. (I mean that in a good way, as it is played with a straight bat)

Last edited:

vcs

Doesn't he just play the back-foot drive, or the guide over the slips? Far from the authentic cut like Strauss. (I mean that in a good way, as it is played whit a straight bat)
Yeah, I guess you have a point there. It's not the conventional footwork, but that isn't Sehwag's game anyway.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Doesn't he just play the back-foot drive, or the guide over the slips? Far from the authentic cut like Strauss. (I mean that in a good way, as it is played whit a straight bat)

One of his primary shots that fetches him a lot of runs tbh. Never had much confidence in his pull or hook shots though.

Last edited:

vcs

He also plays the 'forehand topspin' over mid-off or through the offside field.