• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sehwag weak against shortball : johnson

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
And Hilfenhaus in the 2nd
Yeah, in this inning the Aussie fast bowlers won against Sehwag, not to forget that he played a similar shot a few deliveries ago and the ball pitched just out of the reach of the fielder.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, after Sehwag scored a 59 off 56 balls or something...

I know...but i don't think he scored any boundaries off those deliveries that were headed for the rib cage ish area from Johnson. I saw the highlights and all were tucked to the leg slip area for a single or double at most...and he got out doing the same thing...

Don't get me wrong on how brilliant an opener he is. I only saw the highlights of opening because he scored a fifty...

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I know...but i don't think he scored any boundaries off those deliveries that were headed for the rib cage ish area from Johnson. I saw the highlights and all were tucked to the leg slip area for a single or double at most...and he got out doing the same thing...

Don't get me wrong on how brilliant an opener he is. I only saw the highlights of opening because he scored a fifty...
Why does he have to score a boundary against bodyline bouncers to prove his point? Not in test match, at least. His primary job isn't to entertain us, it's to make runs for his team and stay at the crease to make more runs. So, he'll do a good job leaving/defending/taking singles on those deliveries and make the most of some other ones (which he couldn't do in the 2nd inning).

And no need to sugarcoat your statement by exclaiming how good an opener he's. I'm not his biggest fan you know :)

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Why does he have to score a boundary against bodyline bouncers to prove his point? Not in test match, at least. His primary job isn't to entertain us, it's to make runs for his team and stay at the crease to make more runs. So, he'll do a good job leaving/defending/taking singles on those deliveries and make the most of some other ones (which he couldn't do in the 2nd inning).

And no need to sugarcoat your statement by exclaiming how good an opener he's. I'm not his biggest fan you know :)
:laugh: You sound like from the Sehwag religion.

He was scoring at a strike rate of 100+. He got his fifty from 38 balls. This means that he is a killer of an opener. At the same time it means that had the short balls been his best scoring area or his strength he would have pulled those over the boundary for runs as well. It goes with his nature. If he can hit it he will. So there is nothing wrong with suggesting that he has a hard time scoring freely off of body line bouncers. He lost his wicket in the process as well twice in the same test on short deliveries.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think it depends on what you mean by "weak".

I don't think anyone, Johnson included, suggests he's Bevan weak, but it's an area you can, comparatively at least, keep him quiet and use to tie him up, playing on his own desire to score really quickly.

To that extent he's weaker vs the short ball tucking him up, but it's not like he's diabolical.

Of course, consistently banging the ball in when its new does its own damage from a bowling POV. Conventional wisdom is to keep it up and preserve the shine. If he doesn't fall to the leg trap you've likely done yourself a disservice.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok I havent seen the match but did Sehwag get out to a short delivery in this test match??

Yes Sehwag might be a little vulnerable against something over chest height at good pace but do Indian pitches offer that sort of bounce to bowlers? Johnson is not a 95 mph+ bowler, nor does Indian pitches give him that bounce.
If this was Perth, this might have worked.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Ok I havent seen the match but did Sehwag get out to a short delivery in this test match??
Don't be afraid of visiting an obscure website called Cricinfo:

19.3 144.0 kph, Johnson has nipped out Sehwag who has looked loose in the last few minutes. Huge wicket this. Short ball angling across from leg to off, Sehwag looks to work it to the leg side and gets a leading edge that lobs up into the covers for a simple catch. 106/2
11.5 134.2 kph, The Australians explode in joy. They all get into a celebratory huddle. It was banged in short again but this one was chest-high and around the off stump. Sehwag just opened the bat-face and guided it softly to gully! He usually upper cuts them but has been circumspect today. And he is gone now. What a moment this. Tendulkar stands alone in the middle. 48/3
India 55/4 (17.0 ov, SR Tendulkar 10*, Z Khan 5*, MG Johnson 0/11) - Stumps | Live Scorecard | Cricinfo.com

:)

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
oh well I use cricinfo just for the scores...dont have time to read the commentary all the time..I am happy to trust another obscure site called cricket web where obscure members like Voltman are happy to provide the answers :)

Anyway..I am not surprised because anything over chest height...I can see Sehwag being vulnerable to that..I just didnt think Indian pitches would offer that kind of bounce to bowlers..They did.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

The first innings dismissal was a short ball which didn't get up, hence the leading edge. Nowhere near chest height.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Leading edge..bad shot.. And he did manage to get 60 runs..so not really a failure either.

Look if it was so easy, that you bowl short and Sehwag is a walking wicket...dont you think other bowlers would have exploited it by now? He has two triple centuries, one against Steyn and one against Akhtar.
I saw that knock against Akhtar and he managed to cut Akhtar and Sami (both bowling over 90 mph) over third man for sixes.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
oh well I use cricinfo just for the scores...dont have time to read the commentary all the time..I am happy to trust another obscure site called cricket web where obscure members like Voltman are happy to provide the answers :)

Remind me never to help you again.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The first innings dismissal was a short ball which didn't get up, hence the leading edge. Nowhere near chest height.
Yeah definitely. I do not believe the first innings dismissal was a good example of the short ball working on Sehwag at all.

I stated earlier that short and at the body is definitely the best way to get Sehwag out. So not denying that. But the first innings is not a good example of that imo. Sehwag just turned his bat early. He'll hit short balls that don't get up like that most of the time to the boundary.

Burgey

Leading edge..bad shot.. And he did manage to get 60 runs..so not really a failure either.

Look if it was so easy, that you bowl short and Sehwag is a walking wicket...dont you think other bowlers would have exploited it by now? He has two triple centuries, one against Steyn and one against Akhtar.
I saw that knock against Akhtar and he managed to cut Akhtar and Sami (both bowling over 90 mph) over third man for sixes.
Black Warrior, is your avatar a Ray Crooke painting?

/relevant.

I don't think anyone is saying it makes him a walking wicket. They're saying it's a way to tie him down and limit his destructiveness which in turn leads to him getting himself out. It may not even be the short ball that gets him - see, for example, the first innings. But absent the attack at his body, he may well not have tried to turn so wide a ball to leg, rather he may have hit it to the off side, like he does so many others.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Now, I only saw it a couple of times a few days ago, but when you look at Sehwag's dismissal in the first innings, he plays it like a short ball. Yeah, it doesn't get up, but he's jumping to play it, which means that he isn't as perfectly still as what he is when the ball is outside off stump. As soon as his eyes start moving, he's going to be more vulnerable.

That's the reason for bowling short and keeping him up tight, because he jumps to play the ball - trying to work it square leg or finer for a single - rather than stepping inside it, as he prefers to stay leg-side of the ball so that he can slay it through the off-side. He won't be as balanced playing the shot and he can't really generate any power.