• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2011 ODI World Cup

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Anyone watching Sky now?

Athers, Pringle, Stewart & Goughy discussing the England XV for the tournament.

Gough sez no Strauss but would take Prior & Kieswetter. Bless.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The fit bloke (Stewie) sez no Sammy Patel, but the rather chunkier one (Gough) sez nah, one rule for one and one for another.

Quelle Surprise.

Feck me. Gough wants Fred too. Dazzler been drinking floor polish, IMHO. :laugh:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Surprised Gough hasn't suggested Gough to go.
Presumably that's because his producer at talksport hasn't told him to - it makes me cringe when Gough starts spouting opinions on things where he either clearly has no interest at all or alternatively doesn't actually hold the view he's putting forward

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Possible AUS & ENG 15 mansquads & best XIs:

ENG:

Strauss
Kieswetter/Davies
Trott
KP
Colly
Morgan
Yardy
Bresnan
Swann
Broad
Anderson

Bell
Kieswetter/Davies
Sidebottom/Shazad/Finn (depends on the ODIs in AUS this winter)
Shah or Bopara - Will always prefer Shah, especially in the subcontinet. But Bopara although i dont rate him, will continue to be backed between now & ODIs down under to prove his worth & if he fails - Shah should be picked.

Bowling is average. But i think ENG especially with Flintoff unlikely to make it, should adapt a ODI philosophy similar to what IND did crica 2002/2003 under Ganguly. Where IND knowing they had a weak pace-attack, that could be smoked more often that not. They just basically backed their strong top 7 to set & chase down targets & it got them that famous 2002 lords win & to a WC Final.

AUS:

Watson
Haddin
Ponting
Clarke
White
M Hussey
Smith
Hopes
Johnson
Bollinger
Tait

D Hussey
Paine
Haurtiz
Harris

Some big boys like Warner, S Marsh, Lee, Siddle, Ferguson, Nannes will end up missing out, if those above stay in form. Looking very well equipped to make in 4 WC wins in a row for sure.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Except India bowled very well in that tournament apart from the final....

Unfortunately for us though, we effectively wasted one player by carrying Dinesh Mongia throughout that tournament. Even Agarkar would have been better than him, in retrospect.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
To be honest I'm still not convinced that Haddin will be a top quality ODI opener, but I'm not sure where else to play him. With Watson and Clarke there, I'd leave out Hopes and bring Hauritz into the team, and I don't think Smith is a bang-on to play yet.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Questions over Tait too, tbh. Should be in the squad but dunno if he's in the best XI.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
To be honest I'm still not convinced that Haddin will be a top quality ODI opener, but I'm not sure where else to play him. With Watson and Clarke there, I'd leave out Hopes and bring Hauritz into the team, and I don't think Smith is a bang-on to play yet.
Well yea i have my reservations about Haddin opening to some degree as well. But i'm not that worried, seen enough of him opening in recent times to suggest he can do a fairly solid job opening.

Although its the sub-continent (IND especially) i think AUS can get away with not playing Hauritz. In past ODI series AUS have played in IND this 2000s era (2001, TVS Cup 2003, CT 2006, 2007, 2009) along with the first 3 IPL tournaments, that i've seen. Indian pitches at least in ODIs tend to have more batting beauties - than turners TBF. Maybe the matches AUS play in Sri Lanka or Bangladesh they may have to play Hauritz though, since alot of slow turners are present their.

I expect Smith to become a bang-on by the time the WC comes around though. But of course we shall see.

Top_Cat said:
Questions over Tait too, tbh. Should be in the squad but dunno if he's in the best XI.
Before the T20 WC i'd agree. But Tait has shown improved accuracy in the T20 WC & ODI in ENG recently. Once he keeps that up between now & the WC, he is must pick really.