• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2011 ODI World Cup

Howe_zat

Audio File
So this year's tournament will have 7-team groups, with every side playing each other before the top 4 in each go on.

This is the point that bugs me. Why include all these games in the group stage? It makes it so much harder for a minnow side to progress.

Take how Ireland and Bangladesh knocked out big sides in 2007, they got an upset in the one key game and got through. It made the group stages exciting. Here, if a minnow side beats one of the big teams, then there is so much room for the big side to make it up against other teams and for the minnow side to slip up against another, rending the upset irrelevant.

Isn't it more fun when each game matters? I laud them for removing the tedious super 6/8 rubbish for more knockout but then they went and wrecked it with this 7-team group farce. 3 or 4 sides to a group, then quarters. Not difficult, is it?

Then they went and decided the WC was too long. No ****. So they remove the associate nations. WHAT. Have the ICC forgotten that the WC is the pinnacle for these sides? You are shutting them out of Test cricket, this is all they have to aim for. So you're shutting them out of this too?

The treatment of the associate nations recently by the ICC is absolutely shocking. How are we going to expand cricket when the ICC has become the sporting equivalent of the ****ing masons.

</rant>

<breathe>

Lostman

State Captain
The treatment of the associate nations recently by the ICC is absolutely shocking. How are we going to expand cricket when the ICC has become the sporting equivalent of the ****ing masons.

</rant>

<breathe>
I do agree with what you are saying, but I would rather the ICC take care of the issues that their full time members have 1st.

Pakistan/WI administrations are a mess,
No balanced schedule-Ind/Aus not hosting Bangladesh
etc....

Game should be protected where it is, before expansion takes place.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I do agree with what you are saying, but I would rather the ICC take care of the issues that their full time members have 1st.

Pakistan/WI administrations are a mess,
No balanced schedule-Ind/Aus not hosting Bangladesh
etc....

Game should be protected where it is, before expansion takes place.
I hear you. But I'm not talking about the lack of expansion here. It's annoyed me for some time but I'm prepared to put up with it. But with the new schedules they are actively taking away opportunities that the associates already have, which is just ****ing unacceptable.

Lostman

State Captain
But with the new schedules they are actively taking away opportunities that the associates already have, which is just ****ing unacceptable.
But really whats the point of getting associates involved if there is an unbalanced schedule to begin with? No one would want to play them. As it is right now, Eng-Ind-Aus seem quite happy with the circle jerk they have going.

Tours are organized on TV revenue right now. Look at SL, decent side for the last 10 yr but barely get any overseas test tours, haven't toured SA since 02.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mark my words...

India will win the 2011 World Cup.

Australia looks very weak to be honest; we've made them look quite amateur. I quite honestly don't see a team that can match up to India, in India, at the moment.

South Africa - Will choke, as usual.
England - Fairly decent team, but just don't have what it takes to win ODIs in India.
West Indies - Just not good enough.
Pakistan - Far too many issues on hand, both internal and external.
Sri Lanka - Have a decent chance at it, see them as the one and only threat to India.
NZL - :laugh:

As hard as I try, I really can't see past India. They seem far too strong. The thought of Sachin holding the cup, the anthem playing loud and clear in the hearts of every Indian around the world, and the Indian flags held up high. Jono and I doing bhangra, arm in arm. VCS and Shri dancing to their own bollywood routines. SS pretending to pay no attention, waiting for the next test series, has tears role down his soft cheeks. Such a proud moment, that I truly can't wait for. This is our time, this is OUR era... Mark my words! :cool:
:laugh::wub:

No! You lost your chance with your lack of faith and patriotism. I am replacing you with MorgieB to join Shri in the bollywood routine. :p

But, jokes apart, in all honesty, no I am not in any way overreacting to the win today. Because, despite the timing of my post suggesting so, this is in no way a thought that brushed my mind after the match. It has been something in my heart, my mind, my soul for a while now. You may say I am being unreasonable, but so was Sehwag when he hit a 6 to bring up his 300.

The confidence and ease with which India gathers wins in India, it is remarkable. I really don't see the current Australian team as a threat to India in the coming months. India is in a very strong position at the moment, everything is working out well for them in lead up to the big event. With Sachin's blistering form that I can very well see continuing in the next year, India will peak come WC time. India is doing their part of winning often, and with great ease (whether it's Tests or ODIs)... It's time their fans start doing their part, and that is believing. Every game, every match, from the most meaningless to the WC Finals, we need to believe. Because when Sachin carries that cup above his head, I want to hold my head up high and say, yes I believed!! :)
Should never have doubted Turbs. :wub: WAG

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Other than laughing at NZ, which was harsh, his assessment on all the other teams was very good.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Kiwis played the good, solid, consistent brand of cricket (Flem's gonna kill me for this) we associate with them in the WC. I think the thrashings they took against Bangladesh and India were a learning curve for many of their players who didn't have much previous experience playing in subcontinent conditions. Good that they made their mistakes on those tours rather than blowing up against a couple of minnows in the WC (think England :ph34r:).

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
McCullum
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Elliott
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey
McKay/Southee/possible batting option
Bond

Possibly our best shot ever of taking out the world cup. Clearly going to lose in the semis to the runner up.
That's a pretty good shout there.