• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Road to the 2011 ODI World Cup

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Except India bowled very well in that tournament apart from the final....

Unfortunately for us though, we effectively wasted one player by carrying Dinesh Mongia throughout that tournament. Even Agarkar would have been better than him, in retrospect.
Oh ye i forgot about Mongia playing in the WC 03. I remember for most of that period IND had Yuvraj # 6 & Kaif # 7 though.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, would have Hauritz in for Hopes. Hardly a mug with the bat, and he's easily Australia's best ODI spinner atm.

TumTum

Banned
Before the T20 WC i'd agree. But Tait has shown improved accuracy in the T20 WC & ODI in ENG recently. Once he keeps that up between now & the WC, he is must pick really.
As I have said and proven many times even before the T20 WC started, the pitches would be more beneficial to pace rather than spin. Tait in the subcontinent will be a disaster IMO. It is not a bad thing to be a wild bowler, as you will bowl some cracking deliveries mixed in with the rubbish, but on those pitches those good deliveries will be easily negotiated.

Just re-watching the match where Sachin got 200, Steyn got treated so badly, despite having both the pace, accuracy and swing, also being in great form in the Test series.

I hope we go with someone like Harris instead, who will keep it tight but also as he showed in NZ and England can crank it up and swing it as well.

Also don't forget Tait's performance in the IPL!

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
As I have said and proven many times even before the T20 WC started, the pitches would be more beneficial to pace rather than spin. Tait in the subcontinent will be a disaster IMO. It is not a bad thing to be a wild bowler, as you will bowl some cracking deliveries mixed in with the rubbish, but on those pitches those good deliveries will be easily negotiated.

Just re-watching the match where Sachin got 200, Steyn got treated so badly, despite having both the pace, accuracy and swing, also being in great form in the Test series.

I hope we go with someone like Harris instead, who will keep it tight but also as he showed in NZ and England can crank it up and swing it as well.

Also don't forget Tait's performance in the IPL!
But the IPL was before the T20 WC & ODIs in ENG & the current CL in SA, where Tait has without a doubt shown MUCH improved controlledd. Tait has not be bowling wild at all since the IPL. So your worries about him aren't based on facts my friend.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
India's 16 Member Squad should be like this

Sehwag
Tengulkar
Gambhir
Raina
Kohli, Yuvraj, Uthappa
Dhoni*+
Yusuf, Jadeja
Harbhajan
Praveen
Zaheer
Nehra, Ojha, Ishant

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
If things camn down with PAK are Aamir & co aren't banned, while also getting Y Khan back. I think potentially they have team most capable of preventing AUS from winning IMO:

Butt
K Akmal
Y Khan
Mo Yo
U Akmal
Afridi
Razzaq/S Malik/F Alam
Aamir
Gul
Akhtar
Ajmal

That bowling attack potentially is one of best of in ODI history.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Tough one there is that number 6 position. Think that Afridi is best suited to 7 in all honesty, and thus requrie someone who can bat at 6 properly. Think Fawad Alam deserves a spot, but then you're relying on Afridi to get his 10 out every time which could be a risk, and so Shoaib Malik might be a better option.

Flem274*

123/5
If things camn down with PAK are Aamir & co aren't banned, while also getting Y Khan back. I think potentially they have team most capable of preventing AUS from winning IMO:

Butt
K Akmal
Y Khan
Mo Yo
U Akmal
Afridi
Razzaq/S Malik/F Alam
Aamir
Gul
Akhtar
Ajmal

Yeah, but that's not going to happen tbh. I might as well wish for a Shane Bond comeback, or Australia wishing Michael Clarke would just **** off from 20/20 cricket.

Flem274*

123/5
Anyway, I'll have a punt at the NZ squad. Sheesh it's going to be competitive. Don't really know who will get the last few places tbh. (15 dudez amirite?)

McCullum (wk)
Ryder
How
Taylor
Elliott
Styris
Vettori (c)
Mills
Tuffey
Southee
McKay

N. McCullum
Watling
Williamson
Aldridge

Yep, I'm backing a few bolters, and taking a punt that Guptill's form loss and How/Watling's increase in stocks will push him out, and I'm backing How to make a return because he's in beautiful form and I'm a CD fan. Aldridge is my punt for the bolter, though it could easily be Franklin, Arnel, Martin, Diamanti....or a continuance of the Bennett randomness.

I don't think Neil Broom, Peter Ingram, Mathew Sinclair, Peter McGlashan or Shanan Stewart will get in the final 15 barring injury.

Speaking of injury, Mills to go down in the group stages, Ryder to follow suit, and Vettori in the quarters.

Xuhaib

International Coach

Butt
K Akmal
Y Khan
Mo Yo
U Akmal
Afridi
Razzaq/S Malik/F Alam
Aamir
Gul
Akhtar
Ajmal

Younis was a mediocre odi batsman while Mo Yo is past it and it will be a epic miracle if Butt and Aamer ever play again.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Younis was a mediocre odi batsman while Mo Yo is past it and it will be a epic miracle if Butt and Aamer ever play again.
True about YK & MoYo. But they are sitll better than the young guns that where on display in ENG this summer in the middle-order.

Still hoping for a miracle that would make Aamer play again. World cricket needs a revival of strong pace attacks & him getting banned would just mess thing up, since the start of this new decade was looking so good.

AlanJLegend

U19 Vice-Captain
I'd love to see Jayasuriya have one final hurrah at the 2011 world cup.

Unfortunately, he is no longer good and it will not happen.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd love to see Jayasuriya have one final hurrah at the 2011 world cup.

Unfortunately, he is no longer good and it will not happen.
I know what you mean,just one special knock in a big game would be a fine way for him to go out and for us all to remember him by,not the dross of the last few years.