• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank them in order

Fusion

Global Moderator
I could've switched Miandad and Border on another day. They're very close IMO. I definitely think Richards and Gavaskar are firmly ahead of the others though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Is that the way you'd rate them on all 365 days in a year or is it just because Miandad is underrated (in your perception) in this thread? :wacko: Just a genuine question and I can appreciate if this order indeed is your true opinion.
Possibly a little of both. I don't think Border or Gavaskar can be said to be better players which such a degree of consensus and my perception might be biased because his big double ton against us was one of those moments in childhood that burns itself in one's mind's eye.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richards
Border
Gavaskar
Miandad
Gooch.

Think Viv the stand out personally, but they're all of great quality.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Well I put him last in my list, but a decent case can be made for him to be ranked higher.

I think Gooch is the finest opening batsman since Len Hutton.

He really faced great pace attacks (West Indians, Pakistanis and Australians were spared at least from facing their own) and came out on top. Compared to him Gavaskar faced weaker pace attacks.

He certainly has the most impressive record against top class fast bowling.
High praise.

(ps if you go to tha SJS post in its thread, look at the post immediately below it for an amusing Brumbyism)

Xuhaib

International Coach
yeah thats why I had him in this thread even though he averages quite a bit lower then the other 4 guys he's got some great hundreds as an opener against the likes of Ambrose,Walsh,marshal,Wasim and Waqar.

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Viv Richards
Allan Border
Sunil Gavaskar
Javed Miandad
Graham Gooch

The second spot is a bit tough for me. Could go either way really.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Well I put him last in my list, but a decent case can be made for him to be ranked higher.
Fair point. I have no doubt that Gooch was a player of the highest class, but for someone so good, his spate of struggles were inexplicable.

The man in my avatar pic was by no means the greatest swing bowler one can think of (guys like Bedser, Trueman, Hadlee, Dev et. al. ought to be a few leagues higher), but Gooch really couldn't put bat to ball against him.

Such abject displays are held against him when people gauge his overall career. What is surprising is that the man was capable of playing much, much better against that kind of bowling as he regularly showed. :wacko: Fair to say that he didn't quite do justice to himself except towards the fag end of his long career.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Thing about Gooch, as pointed out by SJS in the thread that I quoted from, is that you can split his career into two parts. I know that this is cheating a bit, because it all depends where you choose to split it. But it's interesting nonetheless.

At the end of his 21st Test he averaged 32.1 and no three figure score.

In the next 87 games (from June 1980 onwards) he scored almost 7500 runs at 57.5 with 20 centuries.

Now that is seriously good going, and against some bloody good bowlers.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Awesome stats and it just goes to show that he was picked way before his time.

Yes, there was promise but the 20-year-old lad was thrown in to face Lillee, Thomson and Walker on a spiteful pitch (particularly rain freshened in the first innings) in 1975 for his debut. Got a pair and in my estimation, that could have created a bit of a psychological block for him. A block that took a fair toll on his future performances against the arch rivals.

I still don't accept that Gooch's struggles were due to a severe technical or temperamental flaw. But a player of such rare quality should have been mentally tougher to fight his demons. Still ends up as an ATG English opener which speaks volumes about the man's class.

Last edited:

JBMAC

State Captain
Gooch was not a "bad" batsman. Saw him score a gritty 50 at The Gabba. That was the test Warne got his best figures in (an 8 for). Sold his wicket dearly in my opinion.