• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Yorkshire CCC racism crisis thread

Shady Slim

International Coach
Racism exists everywhere

However, based purely on my experience, nepotism, club & coach client favouritism is a far bigger issue with junior rep selection

It’s no secret that very few people put their hand up to coach/manage these teams and many that do have an agenda

Unfortunately, failure to make a junior rep team has longer term ramifications as many kids get frustrated with the politics and simply walk away

As for “brown” players, I can’t think of a single one in Queensland who has been passed over purely on the basis of skin colour but I can name plenty from all backgrounds that have been shafted by parochialism
it's all well and good to say it's nepotism rather than racism but that nepotism itself, given that the coaches are all white blokes, further entrenches the inability for south east asian australian kids to get picked, because if the ones doing the picking are all nepotistic white blokes then it's their white nephews and sons who will keep getting picked no?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
it's all well and good to say it's nepotism rather than racism but that nepotism itself, given that the coaches are all white blokes, further entrenches the inability for south east asian australian kids to get picked, because if the ones doing the picking are all nepotistic white blokes then it's their white nephews and sons who will keep getting picked no?
Not from my experience

As I said, I can’t name a single “brown” kid who has been passed over for purely racist reasons

They simply face the same roadblocks as any other kid playing for the “wrong” team

The system is all wrong but skin colour doesn’t appear to be a factor

social

like nepotism where only white fellas get picked is surely just racism with extra steps
Teams aren’t full of white fellas

For example, the QU17s has 4 boys of Asian background

2 in no way deserved it but they play for the right club

Same can be said of a couple of the whiteys in the squad

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Racism exists everywhere

However, based purely on my experience, nepotism, club & coach client favouritism is a far bigger issue with junior rep selection

It’s no secret that very few people put their hand up to coach/manage these teams and many that do have an agenda

Unfortunately, failure to make a junior rep team has longer term ramifications as many kids get frustrated with the politics and simply walk away

As for “brown” players, I can’t think of a single one in Queensland who has been passed over purely on the basis of skin colour but I can name plenty from all backgrounds that have been shafted by parochialism
Yeah I think the reality is probably not that coaches and selectors are passing over kids while literally thinking “nah he’s not white, **** him”. You may have a few bad eggs but it just doesn’t seem all that likely to be a mentality thats pervasive.

My guess is the reason for a lack of representation at the higher levels is it’s more that everyone in the set up is white, and by extension the nepotism and favouritism are far more likely to be in favour of white kids.

Is that a racism problem? Idk it’s a bit grey and I’d lean towards no, but the results are the same.

Maybe the social aspect of things could also be a factor? My impression of Australian sports culture is that there’s also a very social side to it where being involved in activities off the field is a big part of the sport. Maybe brown kids don’t always fit in well with this? Just a wild guess though.

social

Yeah I think the reality is probably not that coaches and selectors are passing over kids while literally thinking “nah he’s not white, **** him”. You may have a few bad eggs but it just doesn’t seem all that likely to be a mentality thats pervasive.

My guess is the reason for a lack of representation at the higher levels is it’s more that everyone in the set up is white, and by extension the nepotism and favouritism are far more likely to be in favour of white kids.

Is that a racism problem? Idk it’s a bit grey and I’d lean towards no, but the results are the same.

Maybe the social aspect of things could also be a factor? My impression of Australian sports culture is that there’s also a very social side to it where being involved in activities off the field is a big part of the sport. Maybe brown kids don’t always fit in well with this? Just a wild guess though.
Lots of people from subcontinent in SEQ & many love cricket

However, participation rates in grade or local cricket is very low as they generally prefer Warehouse or Last Man Standing where you can form your own team

I often watch some guys in my local park play of an afternoon & there’s some reasonable players among them but they just like playing with their friends

social

That seems to be what @Daemon is saying about the social side of participating in sports and why the desi/Asian folks may find it hard?
Also think that work ethic/commitment might play a part as lots of the guys at my local park have 2 jobs or work long hours

Warehouse and Last Man Standing both require far less time commitment than grade etc

social

Could you tell me what these are?
Warehouse cricket is like sub districts but played in winter

Lots of good players and plenty of competitions throughout the week

Last Man Stands is 8 per side

In both cases, you can enter your own team and play 1 game per week or 5

Son Of Coco

Lots of people from subcontinent in SEQ & many love cricket

However, participation rates in grade or local cricket is very low as they generally prefer Warehouse or Last Man Standing where you can form your own team

I often watch some guys in my local park play of an afternoon & there’s some reasonable players among them but they just like playing with their friends
Yeah, it's the same around where I live. We have quite a lot of Indian neighbours, and my boy plays with some of their kids here. I've seen cricket being played around the neighbours school grounds/sports fields, and while there is a mix of kids from different backgrounds in the younger age groups, it does seem the older guys prefer just to organise games amongst themselves. It probably depends a little on whether they are the 1st/2nd generation to live in Australia etc. Perhaps over time, with their kids being involved in local sport, participation in older age groups increases too. Everyone around us is the 1st and have moved here within the last 5 years or so.

When I was playing around the Tweed, there were quite a few Indian guys playing in the senior comp. One team in particular seemed to have a larger number of Indians in it, but they were all 2nd/3rd generation, having grown up in the area. The part of the Tweed they were playing for had a large Indian community.

That's not to say players from different backgrounds don't also suffer racism in grade cricket. I would say they undoubtedly do. There's too many ****wits around for them not to.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
When I was playing around the Tweed, there were quite a few Indian guys playing in the senior comp. One team in particular seemed to have a larger number of Indians in it, but they were all 2nd/3rd generation, having grown up in the area. The part of the Tweed they were playing for had a large Indian community.
This is usually the case from my epxerience of living in the US too. The first gen guys are usually working hard and only like to play recreational stuff, but the next generations who grow up there find a lot more time to get involved in semi-serious sport. And I am sure it will be a lot more in countries where cricket is big like Aus/NZ/Eng and they can play multiple levels of the game.

Shady Slim

International Coach
playing in my league in western sydney, often there have been one or two teams that are most if not all comprised of subcontinental blokes every year in the grade, and most of the rest of the teams are all white fellas

one of the few mixed teams i’ve played against, the team was eight older white dudes and the three subcontinental blokes were each about 25-40. one of them worked uber, another was a taxi driver and the white fellas called em Uber and Taxi, respectively. it could well be that it started amongst those two guys, and so it was okay and that, but tbh it really didn’t feel that way lol. in saying that next yr i’m moving teams and starting a team up with some blokes from work and hs and we’ll be a fairly multicultural bunch which is cool

TheJediBrah

Not really, this is a big assumption. When I was a kid the head rep coach was of aboriginal or islander origin and he made his kid captain of the side, everyone knew what was going on but it's just what happened. Of course if the majority of the population, especially the cricket-playing population, is white then they'll be overrepresented in any group, including that of "coaches picking their kids".

Burgey

There’s a heap of SC background players in the Parra district and has been for a lot of years now. Many junior rep sides are >50:50 representation these days which is excellent. Overall I would say it’s long overdue and Khawaja’s comments are pretty spot on generally.

Another issue in NSW cricket, quite frankly, is the most multicultural grade club areas are in the western suburbs but for the most part the State selectors won’t look west of Randwick-Petersham when they’re picking their chosen ones. It’s getting better because of the sheer number of diverse kids now playing the game but it’s taking longer than i would like to see

The last few years Burgeinho played juniors his club side I coached had about 7 SC background kids, a couple of middle eastern kids and three Anglos. Great bunch of kids, had a great time.

My young bloke got the ****s when I took the captaincy off him because he wasn’t mature enough to do a good job of it, but what TJB said about nepotism is absolutely correct.

by contrast, when my bloke was playing at Parra and trying to make his way at age 16, his captain got a message from a club board member saying “X’s father has tipped $10k in sponsorship into the club this year, I suggest you keep that in mind when selecting your side” so there’s a few things at play. But overall I definitely think what Khawaja said is right

Shady Slim

International Coach
There’s a heap of SC background players in the Parra district and has been for a lot of years now. Many junior rep sides are >50:50 representation these days which is excellent. Overall I would say it’s long overdue and Khawaja’s comments are pretty spot on generally.

Another issue in NSW cricket, quite frankly, is the most multicultural grade club areas are in the western suburbs but for the most part the State selectors won’t look west of Randwick-Petersham when they’re picking their chosen ones. It’s getting better because of the sheer number of diverse kids now playing the game but it’s taking longer than i would like to see

The last few years Burgeinho played juniors his club side I coached had about 7 SC background kids, a couple of middle eastern kids and three Anglos. Great bunch of kids, had a great time.

My young bloke got the ****s when I took the captaincy off him because he wasn’t mature enough to do a good job of it, but what TJB said about nepotism is absolutely correct.

by contrast, when my bloke was playing at Parra and trying to make his way at age 16, his captain got a message from a club board member saying “X’s father has tipped $10k in sponsorship into the club this year, I suggest you keep that in mind when selecting your side” so there’s a few things at play. But overall I definitely think what Khawaja said is right
incidentally where the shadester's moving to next season

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Warehouse cricket is like sub districts but played in winter

Lots of good players and plenty of competitions throughout the week

Last Man Stands is 8 per side

In both cases, you can enter your own team and play 1 game per week or 5
LMS is massive around here. It’s not just the time I reckon. Just the ability to make your own team and bypass all that club hierarchy stuff

shortpitched713

International Captain
like nepotism where only white fellas get picked is surely just racism with extra steps
When you get right down to it, that's the core of every isms that lies on the continuum including tribalism, ethnocentrism, colorism, nationalism, etc. Do whatever to promote your genes and supress the dissimilar ones. All that changes is the width of the net to catch and filter the "us" from the "other".