• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Yorkshire CCC racism crisis thread

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
There is an inbred nature of "racism as banter" in middle class communities, from universities to work places, so it's no surprise that the most middle class of sports would have the same problem and not even realise it has a problem. The reality is that no single organiser, sponsor, external consultant etc will be able to solve the problem. This is a societal issue and in the case of cricket, has to be solved by the players first and foremost. More non-white cricketers need to come forward and more white cricketers need to understand, admit and work on their wrong doings.

Until the latter happens the problem will never be solved.

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
Joe Root still has questions to answer over this.
It's remarkable that England captain, with close ties to Yorkshire, claims he has never heard, seen or been anywhere close to racist happenings, all the while his best mate is at the epicenter of events and also happened to be an England regular for a while. Just bizarre.

Shady Slim

International Coach
There is an inbred nature of "racism as banter" in middle class communities, from universities to work places, so it's no surprise that the most middle class of sports would have the same problem and not even realise it has a problem. The reality is that no single organiser, sponsor, external consultant etc will be able to solve the problem. This is a societal issue and in the case of cricket, has to be solved by the players first and foremost. More non-white cricketers need to come forward and more white cricketers need to understand, admit and work on their wrong doings.

Until the latter happens the problem will never be solved.
this is an exemplary post and nails a huge part of it really, that sure a lot of these stories are about horrible stuff on the english country scene but it's unequivocally reflective of england and western upper and middle class societies at large tbqh

kevinw

State Vice-Captain
It's remarkable that England captain, with close ties to Yorkshire, claims he has never heard, seen or been anywhere close to racist happenings, all the while his best mate is at the epicenter of events and also happened to be an England regular for a while. Just bizarre.
Exactly what I said. I don't believe he can be that oblivious.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
So Andrew Gale and others have successfully claimed wrongful dismissal in an employment tribunal. On the basis, I think, that the county didn't follow the correct procedures rather than any question about his actual behaviour not being as described by Rafiq.

Shady Slim

International Coach
So Andrew Gale and others have successfully claimed wrongful dismissal in an employment tribunal. On the basis, I think, that the county didn't follow the correct procedures rather than any question about his actual behaviour not being as described by Rafiq.
with how these things normally seem to go (bigot guy gets fired, employer does not follow correct protocols so bigot guy rightly has some form of redress) guessing that the right wing pro-racism media are geeing this up as a vindication of the racism and not of following protocols?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The depth of feeling and outpouring of emotion towards this decision is excruciating, overwhelming and unbearable

Give me a fkn break

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'd have complained about him commentating despite the fact he is an imbecile and a total troll. One of our greatest captains ever but also one of our worst pundits ever. Glad he is off the rota for a while.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd have complained about him commentating despite the fact he is an imbecile and a total troll. One of our greatest captains ever but also one of our worst pundits ever. Glad he is off the rota for a while.
Quite so. Anything that means less of Mick's mardy kneejerks polluting the airwaves can only be a good thing.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
None of this answers any of the questions which Joe Root has thus far refused to answer.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Racism exists everywhere

However, based purely on my experience, nepotism, club & coach client favouritism is a far bigger issue with junior rep selection

It’s no secret that very few people put their hand up to coach/manage these teams and many that do have an agenda

Unfortunately, failure to make a junior rep team has longer term ramifications as many kids get frustrated with the politics and simply walk away

As for “brown” players, I can’t think of a single one in Queensland who has been passed over purely on the basis of skin colour but I can name plenty from all backgrounds that have been shafted by parochialism