• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** West Indies in India 2014

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Getting rid of this WICB and its replacement with a new organisation sounds like a good idea to me - all depends whether BCCI are prepared to throw good money after bad - at least they can afford to

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
So, if the BCCI + ECB and CA weren't stealing an unfair share of ICC money, would the WICB have been able to afford a pro domestic comp without slashing the salaries of their international players?

That stolen money is, so far, not very well spent if it results in an abandoned tour and 60 million of lost revenue for the BCCI.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
So, if the BCCI + ECB and CA weren't stealing an unfair share of ICC money, would the WICB have been able to afford a pro domestic comp without slashing the salaries of their international players?

That stolen money is, so far, not very well spent if it results in an abandoned tour and 60 million of lost revenue for the BCCI.
haha good point.

social

Stolen money?

The WICB receives more revenue from the ICC than it generates AND the ICC underwrites the cost of all loss-making series (i.e. basically every series in the Caribbean)

What's more, the ICC has gifted the WICB with global tournaments that they were plainly not best qualified to stage in an attempt to prop them up

How about the WICB attempts to stand on its own 2 feet for a change?

harsh.ag

Because then test cricket would never be played again by the WI, ODI cricket would probably be threatened too
Yeah, but blaming it on "Stolen Money" by ICC is like a bum saying he is here because the rich guy evaded his taxes. Now, in my view, that argument may have some merit if we look at ICC as the government of a social democracy with a large welfare state. But is ICC supposed to be like that?

If a sport is dying somewhere, there is only so much you can do. I do, however, hope that they are able to get Windies cricket up and running again, as it should be a very sound long term investment.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
If anyone is finding it a little hard to keep up with all the developments of this story and the history between WICB and WIPA, this article by Mikey Holding is a superb summary of the situation.

Pretty much sums up my feelings on the dispute. The only difference is I wish the players had been slightly less militant considering where they are on tour.

Last edited:

Camo999

State 12th Man
http://windiescricket.com/sites/default/files/WICB_FS_2013ig.pdf

Interesting looking at the WICB financials how hilariously futile trying to get that sort of money out of them would be. It's more than their entire revenues for the last two years and they haven't even been profitable in that time. The ICC or the BCCI could have easily provided the players with the difference as a temporary measure until the end of the tour. The entire WICB annual player payments in 2013 was just over 7m. It takes two sides to play a match, maybe a tiny amount of that huge TV revenue earned by the BCCI could have gone to the WI players putting on the show.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

Interesting looking at the WICB financials how hilariously futile trying to get that sort of money out of them would be. It's more than their entire revenues for the last two years and they haven't even been profitable in that time. The ICC or the BCCI could have easily provided the players with the difference as a temporary measure until the end of the tour. The entire WICB annual player payments in 2013 was just over 7m. It takes two sides to play a match, maybe a tiny amount of that huge TV revenue earned by the BCCI could have gone to the WI players putting on the show.
I never thought I'd say this, but...**** it. I'm 100% in agreement with the BCCI. There is no reason why they should be responsible for the payments of WI players. It's not their fault that the WICB, WIPA and the West Indies cricket team are at war with one another and being lead by a bunch of incompetent, selfish pricks. In a similar situation, I would never expect the NZC to pay the wages of a visiting side.

brockley

International Captain
Interested in what tony Cozier said,there is questions now over the South Africa tour,and the World Cup.With either Hong Kong or PNG being on standby to replace them.
I agree that the players IPL monies should dry up,i'd cut their contracts,more than enough Aussies,Kiwis,Saffies and Sri Lankans to take their place.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
i assume they are paying for their own air tickets home after going on strike?they would be very lucky to have their cricket board pay for these if not..i have criticised our board many a time for with holding our players salaries in the past but the WI players should have honoured their playing commitments and settled this issue when they got home- of nothing else but to avoid making a mockery of their home Islands by acting like this..

harsh.ag

Come on guys, we know how we would react if our salaries were cut by 60% without our consent. I know this is about representing the country, but you have got to be able to relate to this.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What a sad, turgid mess this all is. I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of the story, but it's just such a monumental cluster **** to see a tour abandoned for reasons such as these.

brockley

International Captain
Its not the first time its happened,they really need to fix it.
I do see the players predicament,but they should have stayed and remained in negotiation.
From the way i heard Windies board said no,then offered to send a 2nd or 3rd string side which is unacceptable.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The tipping point was when the WICB refused to negotiate with anyone but the WIPA.

As soon as Bravo's letter was received there should have been direct talks with the players.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Come on guys, we know how we would react if our salaries were cut by 60% without our consent. I know this is about representing the country, but you have got to be able to relate to this.
Yes, it is very hard on the players. IMO, upon receiving the player's initial complaint regarding not being informed about the fees reduction, the WICB should have agreed to pay their previous wages until the end of the tour. Hammering out a new long term agreement then could have been done after the series ended, but before the tour of SA. Having said that, I do feel that many of WI players involved in the strike will come to regret their actions in the coming years.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
The abandonment of the tour is nothing but a short term prickish move by the players. Are they getting messed around? Perhaps but their own union is central to this. They needed to see out the tour and air their grievances afterwards in a professional manner. This is a disaster. There is a few quid to make on an India tour and good BCCI relations are pretty important. These actions will have long term financial effects for WICB and players. If I was BCCI, I wouldnt deal with WI cricket in any form unless I had to.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

The ability to blame the BCCI on absolutely everything and anything on full show here.

When you blame BCCI on stuff that isn't their fault, it dilutes the noise for genuine complaints about the organisation.