• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 4 - Sri Lanka v England

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Suspect we've picked young Ravinder as much for his bowling as for his alleged batting, myself.

Could be very handy on his surface. Trott too.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm, I actually think these two are doing okay. Beefy can just STFU, want's them to be more aggressive, and inevitably get out. I'd take anything over 200, this pitch is two-paced and already has uneven bounce.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm, I actually think these two are doing okay. Beefy can just STFU, want's them to be more aggressive, and inevitably get out. I'd take anything over 200, this pitch is two-paced and already has uneven bounce.
Their tactics are fine but they look like they could get out at any moment, despite not playing any shots.

JBH001

International Regular
Right, Murali on.

I'd prefer Murali to bowl over the wicket to Bopara and Trott, at least at this stage of his spell.

flibbertyjibber

I'd take 225 or thereabouts but i'd be happier if Bopara actually looked like he could read what the spinners are doing. He seems all at sea and you worry he is going to do what Strauss did by throwing it away looking for a big shot.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
All things considered I don't think England are doing too badly here at 60/2 after 18. Perhaps a little slow but it's the beginnings of a platform. In saying that it won't become a whole lot easier to score runs as the ball loses its newness.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
We must at least make sure we're on for 200 before we try anything crazy.

Spark

Global Moderator
At this point I just think they need to not worry about runs at all, to a point. Just try to bat the 50 overs - that's a hard enough ask as it is.

JBH001

International Regular
Murali is bowling too straight here, I think. Get over the wicket, Murali!

He's not bowling all that well here though. Maybe he hasn't recovered fully from his injury but it seems like he is lacking some fizz.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
At this point I just think they need to not worry about runs at all, to a point. Just try to bat the 50 overs - that's a hard enough ask as it is.
Doesn't satisfy the impatient armchair experts who've only ever faced club spinners on astroturf wickets.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Lovely cut from Ravi off Murali. Willing to bet he wouldn't have been able to play the great man so late two or three years back.

flibbertyjibber

Bopara finally looking more at ease, feeling a little better now, only odd one looks dodgy now which can happen to any player on a dry pitch. I will gladly eat humble pie if he gets a matchwinning 70odd.

Long way to go yet but signs these two are getting used to conditions and finding it a little easier.

Uppercut

Nah they're only 2 down, that's really negative thinking. They should be (and now are) trying to push the ball into the gaps a little more, without trying to hit big boundaries or anything stupid.

Howe_zat

Audio File
God, I love cricket when the bowlers are on top. Even if England are on the recieving end.

This is just beginning to look like the makings of a recovery. Trott is just vital.

fredfertang said:
Would have been interesting to see Rashid bowl on this.
Would've been interesting certainly, but we can't really expect him to come straight off the plane and into the stadium against a top team on their own turf. May have gone horribly wrong anyway. Colly's bowling would've been much more effective than Wright's too.