• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 3 - New Zealand v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

James

Cricket Web Owner
New Zealand v South Africa
Fri Mar 25
Shere Bangla National Stadium, Mirpur
08:30 GMT | 14:30 local | 19:30 EST | 19:00 CST | 16:30 WST

New Zealand Squad

Daniel Vettori (captain), Hamish Bennett, James Franklin, Martin Guptill, Jamie How, Brendon McCullum (wicketkeeper), Nathan McCullum, Kyle Mills, Jacob Oram, Jesse Ryder, Tim Southee, Scott Styris, Ross Taylor, Kane Williamson, Luke Woodcock

South Africa Squad

Graeme Smith (captain), Hashim Amla, Johan Botha, AB de Villiers (wicketkeeper), Jean-Paul Duminy, Faf du Plessis, Imran Tahir, Colin Ingram, Jacques Kallis, Morne Morkel, Wayne Parnell, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Morne van Wyk (wicketkeeper)

BeeGee

International Captain
Confidence is low, which is perfect for NZ.

I hope SA choke, but they'll probably save that for the semis.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
We haven't played South Africa in ages, which is probably a good thing as they haven't had a chance to wipe the floor with us like every other team has in the last 12 months.

South Africa huge favourites obviously. NZ simply cannot bat first - combine our propensity to collapse with an inability to judge a par score and build towards it, and it's a recipe for disaster. We used to be good at batting second but now are not - still it's a better bet than batting first, and there's always a chance our decent bowling attack (assuming fitness) can restrict South Africa to a moderate score.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to fancy SA for it, I'm afraid. On paper at least I reckon they have the best team & squad in the tournament. We proved they can still get a little chokey chasing small targets tho.

Woodster

International Captain
Think in theory this is the most straight forward outcome in the quarters. SA have shown what they're capable of, they now have a balanced attack capable of being effective on all types of pitches, and while they're batting depth is not as strong as it has been in years gone by, the top order have all shown flashes of good form and as a unit should have too much for NZ.

NZ will relish being the underdogs, but the responsibilty will fall on the shoulders of Ross Taylor, Jesse Ryder and Brendon McCullum to get a big score, just not sure they'll get enough.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Looks on paper the easiest match to predict of all the quarters, so New Zealand are bound to cause an upset and win now.

Game could hinge on the form of the returning spinners, if one gets belted it could be costly.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I will watch the game closely and root for us. Our batting is just too brittle to deserve to win this. It will take a piece of Taylor brilliance for us to score 300 and defend it.

Our only realistic chance of winning is for us to pull off some fluke catches and turn the game on its head.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
While I think we've got more of a chance against SA than we would've if we'd been matched with India, it would still be a staggering upset if we won. From my point of view, our best bet would be to bat first, put up something competitive (220ish), and then let Timmeh and the spinners have their way. It could happen, right? Right? :unsure:

tooextracool

International Coach
We haven't played South Africa in ages, which is probably a good thing as they haven't had a chance to wipe the floor with us like every other team has in the last 12 months.

South Africa huge favourites obviously. NZ simply cannot bat first - combine our propensity to collapse with an inability to judge a par score and build towards it, and it's a recipe for disaster. We used to be good at batting second but now are not - still it's a better bet than batting first, and there's always a chance our decent bowling attack (assuming fitness) can restrict South Africa to a moderate score.
Bat 2nd IMO. Not just because it will probably be a slow wicket but also because almost all SA choke feats have one thing in common - SA chasing a target.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Be a difficult choice for Smith if he wins the toss. Best way to beat NZ is to bowl first as they bat so deep but given South Africa's history, they won't wanna be chasing anything remotely tricky. South Africa should definitely go with the extra batsman though. Drop Botha for AB and if AB can take the gloves, bring in Ingram for van Wyk. Lopsy unlucky to miss out but McCullum is more likely to be taking him to the cleaners then Morne Morkel bowing 145kph+ back of a length.

Days of Grace

International Captain
New Zealand's biggest trump card is Southee and Mills in swinging conditions, especially at night.

Therefore, I would bat first, even though we will likely stutter and fart and fall over ourselves to get to 210.

Flem274*

123/5
Need Mills and Vettori to win this. They're our only world class players and if we need overs from Franklin or Tuffey we're buggered.

McCullum
Guptill
Ryder
Taylor
Styris
Franklin
McCullum
Oram
Mills
Vettori
Southee

Has to be the team, with Woodcock and Williamson first reserves in their respective fields.

The only reason I see for playing Tuffey mk II is his habit of picking up wickets in his first over would be awesome to start a South African choke.