• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 3 - New Zealand v South Africa

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tooextracool

International Coach
I think SA should seriously consider batting first for the rest of the tournament until maybe the final which will be in Mumbai (if they make it that far). There is really 0 benefit for bowling first at either Dhaka or Colombo.

Flem274*

123/5
New Zealand's biggest trump card is Southee and Mills in swinging conditions, especially at night.

Therefore, I would bat first, even though we will likely stutter and fart and fall over ourselves to get to 210.
Yep, Southee and Mills can defend a score against South Africa if the conditions are in our favour considering SA history.

The big problem will be the first innings in that situation. Ten bucks says the batsmen don't turn up and Steyn/Morkel blast us out for under 100.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well as per TEC they've never actually won a knock out match in a ODI or T20 WC since 1992. So technically they should lose this match.

Flem274*

123/5
Whoever wins, I'm tipping a big victory margin. NZ doesn't do close games lately.

Though I'd like it to be close courtesy of NZ playing rubbish and SA choking. That way we don't use up our domination so early in the knock outs. Save it for a semi vs India, because it would be immensely satisfying.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Whoever wins, I'm tipping a big victory margin. NZ doesn't do close games lately.

Though I'd like it to be close courtesy of NZ playing rubbish and SA choking. That way we don't use up our domination so early in the knock outs. Save it for a semi vs India, because it would be immensely satisfying.
But India are going to be knocked out this thursday...Or are there playoffs for 5th position or something?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Heh, seems I'm outvoted on the NZ-must-not-bat-first approach. That would be our weakness vs SA's alleged weakness, as opposed to our slightly-not-as-weakness vs SA's strength. When you look at it that way.... It's just I can't see us scoring anything remotely competitive batting first - will struggle to make 200 imo. Our bowling is alright, but unlike England (who defended under 200), we don't have the strikepower to knock over a side really cheaply on a good day.

NZ team picks itself - it's the one Flem posted. No need to play Williamson or Tuffey.

Howsie

International Captain
Guptill, McCullum and Franklin - Lock them in for single digit figures against this attack. If New Zealand are to post/chase a decent score they'll be relying solely on Ryder, Taylor and Styris.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Guptill, McCullum and Franklin - Lock them in for single digit figures against this attack. If New Zealand are to post/chase a decent score they'll be relying solely on Ryder, Taylor and Styris.
Lower order good for a few runs too.

I have to play cricket on saturday and have a prize giving to go to - so won't be pulling an all nighter for this. Even though many of you blokes will be. I will come to this thread in the morning to read what happened.

I guess not to sound defeatist - but at least we made the quarters and won a game against Pakistan. I think we are really relying on Ross Taylor to have the best inning of his career and you still can't say that he is in form yet.

Vettori and Mills need to pop as many pain killers as humanly possible and play.

This game feels more important than the champions trophy final we were in. Chance for a Kiwi to make himself into a legend. That means you Ross. No pressure though.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Heh, seems I'm outvoted on the NZ-must-not-bat-first approach. That would be our weakness vs SA's alleged weakness, as opposed to our slightly-not-as-weakness vs SA's strength. When you look at it that way.... It's just I can't see us scoring anything remotely competitive batting first - will struggle to make 200 imo. Our bowling is alright, but unlike England (who defended under 200), we don't have the strikepower to knock over a side really cheaply on a good day.

NZ team picks itself - it's the one Flem posted. No need to play Williamson or Tuffey.
I think you are remembering the team we used to be - when we were good at chasing. Now days we basically need the other day to have an off day. So I would go with whatever South Africa least prefer rather than what we are reputed to be better at.
If our team was still playing well then I would say bat 2nd for sure.

Days of Grace

International Captain
In the past I would have liked New Zealand to bat second, but we are at our strongest when Mills and Southee are bowling with the new ball under lights. Therefore, I think we should bat first, even though we will stutter, fart and stumble our way to 210.